Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...........

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    We don't have such an animal in the state. the volunteer and smaller primarily volunteer departments usually flock to the State Fireman's Association and the primarily career combo or all career departments belong to their organization.

There doesn't seem to be very much communication, coordination or cooperation between the two groups as they often pursue differing agendas ion the same topic.

On occasion it happens, like the workman's compensation issue for volunteer departments, but even then there was great rift in the career organization between the departments that used volunteer departments for mutual aid, and needed to support them, and those who didn't use VFDs in their mutual aid response. They didn't want to see any change coming out of their pockets to resolve the crisis, which if left unresolved, would have been a 100% loss of workman's comp insurance to all the VFDs in the state.

I wish things were diffeernt on the legislative front, but they are not.

I'm not suggesting that you take on another job, but there should be someone that is active at the State level that can Start talking to the Leadership of any and all Fire Service Groups in the State to get the ball rolling. I can't imagine that there aren't at least a few out there who can see the advantages of organizing like we did......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
      I'm not suggesting that you take on another job, but there should be someone that is active at the State level that can Start talking to the Leadership of any and all Fire Service Groups in the State to get the ball rolling. I can't imagine that there aren't at least a few out there who can see the advantages of organizing like we did......
      There are members of the State Firefighters Association that do lobby. There are members of the Arson and Fire prevention Association, which is a reasonable mix of volunteer and career departments, though with a very limited membership who lobby on prevention related bills and topics. And The career fire department association also has a lobbyist. The problem is they are often lobbying on different sides of the same bill or topic.

The A & FP Assoication tends to aling itself more withe the State Fireman's Association more often than not.

There have been areas of cooperation but that is more the exception than the rule.

Vhief. one thing to consider is the unique playing field of the LA fire service. In many areas of the state, the urban career departments are actively involved in annexing, or attempting to annex parts of the well off suburban combo departments, which obviously creates some tension and mistrust between the two groups that does hinder cooperation. I know that our neighboring career department would love to have part of our district, and we recently had open areas which we had been covering for 25 years annexed by a neighboring small city department just prior to the fields being turned into a high-dollar housing development in a pre-construction deal with the builder. We still get along with the small city department, but the constant worry of annexation by the larger city has created some significant tension.
      Last edited by LaFireEducator; 12-31-2010, 09:00 PM.
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X