Real men can agree to disagree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    What I am guilty of , and it is a pet peeve of mine , is people getting on here and asking for basic and or department specific info, that they should be getting first hand.
    I don't agree.

This is a place to learn and to speak to other firefighters. Many questions cannot be answered by calling Human Resources, and many of us don't have the opportunity to walk into the house we have questions of.

Unless its some spammer posting the same questions of FDNY, I think if people ask questions about a department, especially if it is yours, you should help them out and give them the right answers. I see too many people saying "SEARCH" or "Call HR," when its someone who seems genuinely interested that wants to make the right choice in department.

Other than that, I stay out of the BS threads with pot-stirring and bickering.

Merry Christmas Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
      Even worse.. some actually believe that "Backdraft" was real!
      I now have nothing more to live for...

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedlocal
        Also , I may read too much into it, but I see lot of the questions that are tactical or strategic in nature and seem to be for "ammo" in pushing their agenda.
        Originally posted by tajm611 View Post
        The questions I have raised had been more along the lines of:

1: this is what we did
        2: this is why we did it
        3: what are your normal procedures and why

Using that method, I've brought things back to my crew and I am very thankful for my open minded men and willingness to use tactics that better our service. If you feel I've grouped all "older men" in the wrong category, I apologize. Just remember, for every 15 year old with a scanner, there's a 20 something wanting to learn more of the "art" of what we do.
        So here we have two people with opposite views of the same basic thing.

If there's a problem here, it's that some folks assume they know why somebody posted a question. In this case, 611 states he takes what he learns back to his people, yet SJY might interpret the motive for asking the question a tad differently, and thus react in a negative manner.

Sad though it is, not every fire department has a first class training program. All too many have no program at all. Knowledge that many of us take for granted doesn't exist for a lot of the members of those department.

Not everyone is a fourth generation firefighter. They enter the fire service as blank slates. That "stupid" question about ladders/aerials/towers/platforms is genuine - the nearest such apparatus may be an hour or more away from their station and the exposure to them is zero, as is the knowledge of many of their colleagues.

We do need to agree to disagree - I still think yellow fire trucks just need to spend more time in the sun to ripen - but we also need to take a deep breath and provide the same thing we tell these folks they should be getting from their own departments - friendly help. A simple answer to a simple question is often a "thread killer." Spending five pages arguing about why the OP shouldn't be asking the question in the first place just riles people up.

Maybe we need a "sticky" on using search, so it's one of the first things newbies see - that seems to be a recurring theme as well.

And don't feed the trolls.
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
          Even worse.. some actually believe that "Backdraft" was real!
          I can't count the number of times I've pulled hose out of the stretch bed and had women's undergarments come out with it.
          Last edited by TVFR9923; 12-25-2010, 11:48 PM. Reason: Too much egg nog

Comment

Backdraft

I worked at Engine #17 Long Beach when the premier of "Backdraft"was there and we parked our Engine outside to show those who wanted a tour of it. (It was a pure PR job ). They mostly said they wanted to see the hose bed.......go figure.
            Respectfully,
            Jay Dudley
            Retired Fire
            Background Investigator
            IACOJ-Member
            Lifetime Member CSFA
            IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Originally posted by pvfd27 View Post
              I now have nothing more to live for...
              There's still the Towering Inferno and Ladder 49 to cling to.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMedic049 View Post
                There's still the Towering Inferno and Ladder 49 to cling to.
                Thanks man, you're a life-saver!!

Comment

Towering Inferno was GREAT. But back to the original post.

No one and I mean no one wants to put a post on this board and have someone bash them, or a link they put up or a video they put up or whatever. People share their ideas and when they get bashed, they take it personally.
                  Maybe you wear pink helmets or maybe you are a volly that wants his/her POV decorated in the most elaborate lightbar known to man. That's fine, as long as it conforms to his/her chief's expectations that's all they care about.
                  If your chief says no light bars, then guess what? No lightbars. Go to a different company . If you think an attack line neds to be pulled on every assignment and you post it, be preparred for a difference of opinion.
                  If I post that all Firetrucks should be red, then I should be prepared for others to voice their opinion, even if it disagrees with mine. Just keep it civil.

Comment

Some day I hope to see civilized discussions on here, but till then I guess I'll enjoy the entertainment. Seriously though when somebody asks a question, just a simple answer should suffice and it shouldn't end up degrade in a name calling or bashing simply because somebody has a difference of opinion. Oh well I said my peace.

Comment

Well.............

You folks are simply Too Thin Skinned. REAL Firetrucks are YELLOW! Admit it, and get on with life...........

Seriously, I agree that there is wayyyyyy too much bickering. I'm an Old Guy, and Danm proud of it. The often abused "Search Function" Comments are sometimes overdone, or slanted. If someone says "I tried" I'll take that at face value and try to help a bit, if it's something that I have knowledge of. My Pet Peeve, as some have noticed, is Lack of, if not deliberate misuse of, Common Skills in the use of the English Language. I particularly dislike "Textspeak".... There ought to be a law...... But, when all is said and done, I try to help where possible. If I find it necessary (in my opinion) I can chastize a bit,, but I try to stay out of those threads anyway........
                      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                      In memory of
                      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                        You folks are simply Too Thin Skinned. REAL Firetrucks are RED!
                        I would have to agree with you on the color!

But I also agree about just staying out of the "drama" threads as I like to call them. I come here to learn and joke around, maybe share a little bit on the little I know. I'm not here to argue with anyone and so far I have done pretty good at that. I dont find it that hard.

Comment

[QUOTE=hwoods;1233354]You folks are simply Too Thin Skinned. REAL Firetrucks are YELLOW! Admit it, and get on with life...........

I think firetrucks are beautiful in any color. But red is better! Here we go....

Just kidding ours are lime yellow.

Comment

Oh, and by the way yes we can agree to disagree in a civil way. As long as I'm right.

Comment

Originally posted by enginhouse2 View Post
                              Just kidding ours are lime yellow.
                              There's a reason some folks call it "slime yellow."

I kinda like the color Syracuse once painted their rigs - a nice cream.
                              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                                You folks are simply Too Thin Skinned. REAL Firetrucks are YELLOW! Admit it, and get on with life...........

Seriously, I agree that there is wayyyyyy too much bickering. I'm an Old Guy, and Danm proud of it. The often abused "Search Function" Comments are sometimes overdone, or slanted. If someone says "I tried" I'll take that at face value and try to help a bit, if it's something that I have knowledge of. My Pet Peeve, as some have noticed, is Lack of, if not deliberate misuse of, Common Skills in the use of the English Language. I particularly dislike "Textspeak".... There ought to be a law...... But, when all is said and done, I try to help where possible. If I find it necessary (in my opinion) I can chastize a bit,, but I try to stay out of those threads anyway........

Harve and others as well as myself go back on this forum for a long time. I remember as some of the 'older guys' when this was the site to go to get good information and exchange ideas.

In the last year or so, it has turned into the best biggest lights for my POV, my helmet is better than your, my boots can take anything where yours can't stand water.

Maybe it the way us old guys was taught in public or private schools and learn this job by doing it in the on the job training. Times were tough on the back step or side of a tda trailer, but we survive it, didn't 3itch too much, wore 3/4 boots, 36 inch length coats, use fireball gloves and yes a lot of us wore leather helmets or the plastic type the bullard or msa made.

The rookie of the company usually clean the toilet area of the fire house and better not complain.

I came on the job where the rookie of the company had 18 years on the job. He was the happiest man to see me come on board. He caught all the details out of the house.

Yellow has its place in the mustand jar!
                                Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...