X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushwhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
    We actually performed one of these about 15 or more years ago. NJ had lots of hurdles to jump then, its even worse now.

We had to do some modifications to the structure itself (as has been mentioned by others).

Last bit of advice, always use the "reasonable" test, because that is what you will be held to, should something go wrong.

Be conservative and take no risks.

You're a reasonable and bright guy (from what I've picked up on here), but beware of others with "ideas".

Oh and take pictures and post here!
    Thank you for the compliments Sir, I Had good Teachers here. I Plan on buying my own Helmet Cam for this Burn.

Originally posted by dday05 View Post
    You could skip the 2nd story for burning but who says you can't use it for just some hose advancement drills or even some search drills on training night or something?
    I think that is what will happen with the up stairs, It will be sealed off and used for throwing ladders and a second story VES.
    Originally posted by dday05 View Post
    I for got to say I like the bricks they have stacked up to compliment the fire place.

It would be nice to use the room the fire place is in as a burn room but that looks like a little bit of head scratching there with the steps to the 2nd floor to worry about...
    After looking at this house i can't believe we haven't been here yet, look at how the chimney is routed right out under the eaves.( The Side with 2 Tree's on it, Should be in the first set of pics.) The wood burning stove, the general construction/ maintenance and the Wiring in that place, Good god its scary.

Thanks for the thoughts Boys and Girls, Keep them coming!

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    Starting with the exterior.
    Remove the window AC unit upstairs, get that tin chimney pipe down, get the power company to remove the service drop back to the pole.
    Those stairs from the lean to porch look a little shakey and might need some reinforcing to make them safe for FF exiting with gear + hose lines. I'd get the little gas stove out of there and open the boarded up doorway and equip it with a hinged plywood exit.

Inside upstairs : remove the ceiling fan , it will fall and hurt someone, in the kitchen remove the fluorescent light fixture the old ballasts were hazmat when burned. Make sure the wall cabinets are securely fasted to the wall studs, they hurt when they land on your back.

The stairs to the second floor are borderline being strong enough to support an interior team and have no banister to prevent falling off the side in heavy smoke conditions.

Is there a basement or is it a crawlspace underneath? Make sure to sound the floor well before starting to burn, looking for soft spots.

Leave the bathtub in place and use it as your burn barrel. Old cast iron tubs take a lot of heat.

Leave a comment:

• dday05
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
    You're a reasonable and bright guy (from what I've picked up on here), but beware of others with "ideas".

Exactly what he said. Don't let someone railroad you with a short cut idea or something that could get someone injured. That stuff should all be taken care of before you burn like I said before with a briefing. You will be stressed out the week of the burn and day of...

Leave a comment:

• dday05
    replied
    I for got to say I like the bricks they have stacked up to compliment the fire place.

It would be nice to use the room the fire place is in as a burn room but that looks like a little bit of head scratching there with the steps to the 2nd floor to worry about...

Leave a comment:

• dday05
    replied
    You could skip the 2nd story for burning but who says you can't use it for just some hose advancement drills or even some search drills on training night or something?

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    We actually performed one of these about 15 or more years ago. NJ had lots of hurdles to jump then, its even worse now.

We had to do some modifications to the structure itself (as has been mentioned by others).

Last bit of advice, always use the "reasonable" test, because that is what you will be held to, should something go wrong.

Be conservative and take no risks.

Last edited by ChiefKN; 12-28-2010, 07:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Ah, I see that now. Either way, get that pull down set of stairs out. And remember, if you can't ensure a quick point of egress in a certain area should something go wrong you don't need to be training in it.

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
    From your pictures I would agree with using the bathroom as the burn room. Remove the tub, sink, etc. and you should have plenty of room. I wouldn't think you would need the barrel in the burn room though, if at all. This will all depend on your planned fuel load. Are pallets the fuel of choice?
    Yes I Plan on a doing a 1-2 pallet burn for the first run and see how that goes, That is not a attic ladder that is some ones Stair case and i use the term lightly, I am debating weather or not do anything in the second story.

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    For the Fire room, I have the bathroom picked it is maybe 12x10 it is sealed up the best in terms of sheet-rock and general construction. It is also the only room in the house that has a door on it Everything will be removed from it tub/sink/ Everything. How ever the only opening is a tiny 1x2 window.

So here is my Idea and I want your honest opinions on it.

Using the bathroom for the Fire room, we double sheet rock it with the exception of one area. Place the burn barrel at the opposite side of the room, and for ventilation let them practice vertical ventilation. We will remove the roof covering over the area we want cut and replace the ply-wood on the outside and the sheet rock inside between evolutions.

In one picture you can see that a second bathroom window has been covered up, I plan on opening that back up and placing hinged OSB Over the opening so if we need to we can open that up.
    From your pictures I would agree with using the bathroom as the burn room. Remove the tub, sink, etc. and you should have plenty of room. I wouldn't think you would need the barrel in the burn room though, if at all. This will all depend on your planned fuel load. Are pallets the fuel of choice?

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Remove that attic access ladder and replace it with FD attic ladder for the burn.

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhacker
    replied
    For the Fire room, I have the bathroom picked it is maybe 12x10 it is sealed up the best in terms of sheet-rock and general construction. It is also the only room in the house that has a door on it Everything will be removed from it tub/sink/ Everything. How ever the only opening is a tiny 1x2 window.

So here is my Idea and I want your honest opinions on it.

Using the bathroom for the Fire room, we double sheet rock it with the exception of one area. Place the burn barrel at the opposite side of the room, and for ventilation let them practice vertical ventilation. We will remove the roof covering over the area we want cut and replace the ply-wood on the outside and the sheet rock inside between evolutions.

In one picture you can see that a second bathroom window has been covered up, I plan on opening that back up and placing hinged OSB Over the opening so if we need to we can open that up.

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhacker
    replied
    Moving to the interior The first room
    Moving through the house to the left entering the kitchen
    The next picture is from the same point but looking to the right.

For the The burn I plan on using the bathroom, But i will get back to that.

Now for some of the problem child's i have. this next picture shows a wood burning stove that has been placed in front of a door, I plan on ripping that all out and opening it up as a third exit on the ground floor.
    The next one is the second story, look at the gaps in the drywall.

Leave a comment:

• Dickey
    replied
    Very good advice.

We also cut a hole in the roof and cover it with plywood with a cable hanging down, works great.

That is the most ugliest house I have ever seen, the best thing for that is to be burned!! YUK!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhacker
    replied
    Forgive my Photography skills but here is 360 of the house.

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by tree68 View Post
    And if the folks from Lairdsville had read this report from Milford, MI, where three firefighters died, maybe Lairdsville wouldn't have occured...
    Originally posted by pasobuff View Post
    And for some reading... http://chiefreasonart.com/brads-page/ ....something everyone should read...more than once!
    Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
    You're kidding, right?

If not, you need to look into Lairdsville's experience with that.
    Its very sad to see that stuff happen, But those mistakes should never be repeated. I will have pictures posted in a little bit of our structure, and a little bit of my battle plan.

One of my big concerns now is finding competent safety officers and having enough of a safety net if something does go wrong.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X