Ordered to present a medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chief_Roy View Post
    True, I've often preached that myself. In this case, the neighbor who called it in told dispatch that she knew no one was home because she was watching the house for the owners, who were out of town.
    It's not fun for me if you don't rage.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

perhaps going along with the political show, but having a word with the police chief about the unnecessary dangers the cop put himself in. maybe even show him a couple cases where cops got hurt badly going into fires.

Comment

Tell the Mayor (not Major), that you only give Medals to FF's. But you would be happy to give him a "Certificate of Condemnation..err Commendation".

FM1
        I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
        "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Hmmm.......
          Attached Files
          "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Comment

Originally posted by nameless View Post
            perhaps going along with the political show, but having a word with the police chief about the unnecessary dangers the cop put himself in. maybe even show him a couple cases where cops got hurt badly going into fires.
            Now that's a good idea. I'll definitely be doing that. I get along with the police chief well enough that we can have that sort of frank discussion. One minute I'll be telling his boss what an idiot he was and the next we'll be out in front of the politicians smiling and telling him what a great job he did. What a job.

Comment

Just a few points to ponder. If it had been an off duty FF instead of a cop, would you feel differently? What if it was one your guys off duty in a neighboring city? We all read the annual Firehouse Heroism Awards. Some of them are 100% balls of steel firefighting. Others could just as easily be obituaries.

I say, let the cop have his moment. I'm pretty sure some of his fellow officers already told him how dumb that was. It doesn't affect you or your guys. Most cops I know don't want my job and I don't want theirs.

Be safe.

Comment

If the cop is married....he has heard more crap about it than anyone else will ever be able to give him.

I have done this. My FF's laughed and said "Police are so special they need awards to do what we normally do." Nothing bad ever came from it and it paved some very good relations between the FD and PD.
                "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
                  ^^^why go through all that?

Just stand up for yourself in front of the major. See what he says.

By giving in, you lose your back bone. On top of being spineless, it gets even more complicated when you suggest pulling off all of that suggestive humor to get the point across. Save yourself the waste of time.

Sheesh, what an unnecessary, contrived and sophomoric effort. If that's not beating around the bush, I don't know what is.
                  All I want for Christmas is for you to shut up and go away. Please go away. You just keep ****ing people off.

Comment

By giving in, you lose your back bone. On top of being spineless, it gets even more complicated when you suggest pulling off all of that suggestive humor to get the point across. Save yourself the waste of time.

Sheesh, what an unnecessary, contrived and sophomoric effort. If that's not beating around the bush, I don't know what is.
                    When you have your job (a position you've worked DECADES for) I'd like to see you take that same stance.

Comment

So says someone who's probably never had a job.. let alone a career.

How come every time I read one of your posts I think of the Allstate Mayhem Commericals?
                      So you call this your free country
                      Tell me why it costs so much to live
                      -3dd

Comment

I would agree to present the award, but I'd discuss it privately with the mayor and make sure he understands the risks that cop exposed the city to. From there I'm sure the mayor would be agreeable to your use of a commendation speech that praises the effort but simultaneously discourages it. Cops do that stuff all the time with hero stuff; look at that crazy school board member who whacked the gunman with the purse.

So a "that was great but don't do it again" speech would be the ideal.
                        “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                        ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Taken from the mouth of scarecrow57 or one of his other poser names.

This person isn't a 15 year old. Too much mouth to be advising as it has been since signing on.

The webteam is checking out this clone.
                          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Guys/Gals, our brethren needs advice on how to handle a situation and this person is completely hijacking the thread. Lets go back to the topic at hand. I wish I had some advice on this, but I'm gonna sit back and learn from this one.
                            Matt G.
                            Battalion Chief
                            IACOJ-Member
                            FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF View Post
                              I would agree to present the award, but I'd discuss it privately with the mayor and make sure he understands the risks that cop exposed the city to. From there I'm sure the mayor would be agreeable to your use of a commendation speech that praises the effort but simultaneously discourages it. Cops do that stuff all the time with hero stuff; look at that crazy school board member who whacked the gunman with the purse.

So a "that was great but don't do it again" speech would be the ideal.
                              what he said..
                              So you call this your free country
                              Tell me why it costs so much to live
                              -3dd

Comment

Originally posted by mtg55 View Post
                                Guys/Gals, our brethren needs advice on how to handle a situation and this person is completely hijacking the thread. Lets go back to the topic at hand. I wish I had some advice on this, but I'm gonna sit back and learn from this one.
                                All these responses have certainly got me thinking, and I think there's a lesson to be learned. I plan on visiting with the police chief a little more and explaining to him about how we're sort of being forced in to this and we'd prefer he explain to his personnel that we seriously don't approve of this. We're both in the same boat when it come to doing what the Mayor says, so I think he'll understand.

This also got me thinking more about a situation I referred to in another thread a while ago. Years ago (before I was hired), we had a firefighter who violated a direct order from his company officer and went in to a burning structure (by himself) and made a save. They gave him a medal of bravery or some such thing at the time. I've asked myself what I would have done if I had been in charge at the time (because it's sort of related to this thread).

1. Give him the medal but chew his butt behind the scenes and let the rest of the department know that such stuff won't be tolerated in the future.

2. Give him a medal and don't say anything else except heap praise on him, and then be paranoid that I've just given everyone else cart blanche to disobey orders from their officers at the fire scene.

3. Don't give him a medal and discipline him for violating an order and committing an egregious safety violation. Of course this could/would cause morale issues and likely not go over well with the press and the politicians.

4. Give him a medal and discipline the officer for giving him an order that would have cost a life if the firefighter hadn't ignored it. This would send a chill down the spine of every officer in the department and could lead to its own set of problems, not the least of which would be similar message as #2 in that you're basically telling people it's okay to disobey an order if you don't agree with it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X