Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoothbore or fog nozzle...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    This is what we use.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #92
      Seriously... We have both. No problems with either style.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
        I agree on the propane as well, but we're talking residential fire attack. For the record, we have both, ran fogs exclusively on 1.75" until this year, due years of misapplied theories and poor training based on IFSTA and others. Of course fogs work fine, I'm just wondering what Deputy Fog and others see as the purported benefits to make such strong statements and argue so vehemently. Maybe the rest of us aren't progressive enough? I only wear Hawaiian shirts when in Hawaii (not nearly often enough!), something about Rome and Romans...

        BTW: Your boy was just refined a bit, you can't take the mountain out of the boy, even when he leaves the mountains behind. Consider him more well rounded for his short time on the coast, I wish I'd had him on my shift. Probably had more to teach some than he learned from us, but such is the life of an experienced "probie". And I don't actually know who buys TFT's but they seem pretty flashy and their employees drop in once in a while on vacation, get a picture taken and are compensated, so someone must be filling their coffers with money? Nice folks, silly over priced products...
        I've seen the whole Gamut of nozzles here. Bkdraft kind of missed my point. EVERYBODY around here uses different nozzles. ALL of OUR personnel are quite proficent because of this,they might have a Vindicator with OUR line,or an Elkhart on our neighbors. I don't CARE because whatever line you give ME,I'll use to put the fire out, Some work better than others,but I'm not seeing this SUPER effect of the smoothbore. For CAFS,MAYBE. There are say three Cafs trucks in our ENTIRE region. We've been combination for around a half century,straight bore before that. BOTH are still available,so pick your weapon. I prefer a 2" line with either nozzle for INTERIOR use on most SF dwellings. But that's just ME. T.C.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
          I've seen the whole Gamut of nozzles here. Bkdraft kind of missed my point. EVERYBODY around here uses different nozzles. ALL of OUR personnel are quite proficent because of this,they might have a Vindicator with OUR line,or an Elkhart on our neighbors. I don't CARE because whatever line you give ME,I'll use to put the fire out, Some work better than others,but I'm not seeing this SUPER effect of the smoothbore. For CAFS,MAYBE. There are say three Cafs trucks in our ENTIRE region. We've been combination for around a half century,straight bore before that. BOTH are still available,so pick your weapon. I prefer a 2" line with either nozzle for INTERIOR use on most SF dwellings. But that's just ME. T.C.
          Can't disagree with anything, but similarly, I don't see the SUPER advantage of either. I'm just curious why such strong feelings about fogs. We have smoothbores, auto fogs, fixed fogs, adjustable fogs, and the Vindicator all will work and I wouldn't hesitate a second with any one for residential fire attack. I'd actually prefer the Vindicator personally.

          Still no answer? Besides moving air, what is the advantage to the more expensive and number of moving parts?

          Comment


          • #95
            The advantage to us is 1 nozzle that can be used for many tasks. We simply don't see any advantage to having to choose which nozzle to put on the end of the hose depending on what the situation is. It's one less thing to worry about. 1 nozzle handles all situations.
            "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
              I've seen the whole Gamut of nozzles here. Bkdraft kind of missed my point. EVERYBODY around here uses different nozzles. ALL of OUR personnel are quite proficent because of this,they might have a Vindicator with OUR line,or an Elkhart on our neighbors. I don't CARE because whatever line you give ME,I'll use to put the fire out, Some work better than others,but I'm not seeing this SUPER effect of the smoothbore. For CAFS,MAYBE. There are say three Cafs trucks in our ENTIRE region. We've been combination for around a half century,straight bore before that. BOTH are still available,so pick your weapon. I prefer a 2" line with either nozzle for INTERIOR use on most SF dwellings. But that's just ME. T.C.
              Fires are still getting extinguished.... so wtf is this argument about again?
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                Fires are still getting extinguished.... so wtf is this argument about again?
                'Cause we CAN. Hehe T.C.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
                  Can't disagree with anything, but similarly, I don't see the SUPER advantage of either. I'm just curious why such strong feelings about fogs. We have smoothbores, auto fogs, fixed fogs, adjustable fogs, and the Vindicator all will work and I wouldn't hesitate a second with any one for residential fire attack. I'd actually prefer the Vindicator personally.

                  Still no answer? Besides moving air, what is the advantage to the more expensive and number of moving parts?
                  Boss solved PART of that problem . He started buying Sabrejets. Both worlds,ONE nozzle. We use the SINGLE shutoff version. T.C.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                    The advantage to us is 1 nozzle that can be used for many tasks. We simply don't see any advantage to having to choose which nozzle to put on the end of the hose depending on what the situation is. It's one less thing to worry about. 1 nozzle handles all situations.
                    Certainly a point in that. We run multiple preconnected lines and the first due runs one of each: SB, Elkhart Fog and a Vindicator. The best of all worlds.

                    Comment


                    • So is everyone saying, that smooth bore nozzles are just a marketing poly to make more money?
                      Benton Fire District Four
                      Ladder One
                      First Due!


                      Caddo Parish Fire District 1
                      Career Firefighter/Paramedic


                      When things get rough, just say:
                      Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                        So is everyone saying, that smooth bore nozzles are just a marketing poly to make more money?
                        I think that everyone said that.
                        I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

                        "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

                        "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

                        Comment


                        • Wait....smoothbore's or FIT-5's?
                          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

                          Comment


                          • For the "smooth bore only" crowd, humor me and post 5 bullet proof reasons that a smooth bore is that superior. But some parameters: If it's "because we always have", or "thats how so and so does it", nice try; if its steam burns/thermo balance disruption, I would look at your training program; if its volume, basic research will show a low pressure fog can deliver the same; reach, same; breakover, same; droplets loss/dispersement due to wind....really?
                            I can completely see why FDNY does, and other extremely urban/tenement cities due. But bedroom USA? Oh, one other point, you CAFS guys don't count!!!!
                            My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
                            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                            George Mason
                            Co-author of the Second Amendment
                            during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
                            Elevator Rescue Information

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                              So is everyone saying, that smooth bore nozzles are just a marketing poly to make more money?
                              Nothing of the kind was stated.

                              Smoothbores are the "original" nozzles.. and like combos, Rockwood fogs, Navy nozzles, Bresnan's, piercing nozzles and Vindicators.. they are tools in the arsenal.

                              The nozzle don't put out the fire.. it's the experience and training of the firefighter on the knob that does!
                              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by SPFDRum View Post
                                For the "smooth bore only" crowd, humor me and post 5 bullet proof reasons that a smooth bore is that superior. But some parameters: If it's "because we always have", or "thats how so and so does it", nice try; if its steam burns/thermo balance disruption, I would look at your training program; if its volume, basic research will show a low pressure fog can deliver the same; reach, same; breakover, same; droplets loss/dispersement due to wind....really?
                                I can completely see why FDNY does, and other extremely urban/tenement cities due. But bedroom USA? Oh, one other point, you CAFS guys don't count!!!!
                                I'm not a SB only guy, but here's 5 quick:

                                1. Cheaper, by a long shot
                                2. 1-3 moving parts, simplicity at it's finest
                                3. least likely to clog or have a partial obstruction
                                4. quantity and quality immediately visible to the nozzleman
                                5. more water ends on the target than equal gpm fog when high temps encountered though not a common factor, a reality.

                                Please reciprocate with a list of the superior fog nozzle traits. Everytime I ask, I get more questions and no answers

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X