Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoothbore or fog nozzle...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    First of all.. all this whining about nozzles.... oy vey!
    A nozzle is another tool in the toolbox... nothing more. nothing less.

    You give a garden hose nozzle to a crusty old jake and he can probably put out the damn fire with it.

    You have 2/20 and whiz kids with certifications up the wazoo who could not put out a trashcan fire if they threw the damn thing into a lake.

    Dumpster fires, car fires.. deck gun the damn things, check for bodies, refill the tank and go back to quarters!

    Everyone is bitching about the type of nozzle... how about the size of the damn line it is attached to?"
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 12-21-2010, 05:10 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

    Comment


    • #62
      Just for clarification, lets hear the purported benefits of the fog over the smoothbore. Even if flow, distance and penetration are equal, the simplicity of the smoothbore makes it far more reliable and far cheaper when replacing or buying new. And yes, I have had a fog nozzle not work properly during an incident and seen the same numerous times at fires and training.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by BKDRAFT View Post
        My argument from my first post has been the smooth bore flows more gpm at the same PDP.
        Which is demonstrably false.

        What's your next best argument?
        "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
        sigpic
        The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by BKDRAFT View Post
          Why pick a smooth bore for only commercial fires?
          Because it's the only scenario where you typically find large enough interior spaces/compartments for selecting a smoothbore to make any sense.
          "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
          sigpic
          The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
            the simplicity of the smoothbore makes it...
            ...easier for firefighters who aren't competent enough to make decisions about what type of stream would be most effective in any given situation. :P

            And yes, I have had a fog nozzle not work properly during an incident and seen the same numerous times at fires and training.
            Honestly? That sounds like poor equipment maintenance to me.
            "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
            sigpic
            The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

            Comment


            • #66
              I would imagine dr rescue has been steamed 0 times as he said in another post that he was another wanna bee firefighter - I wonder id he is related to jr ?
              ?

              Comment


              • #67
                Retard ALERT!

                Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                I would imagine dr rescue has been steamed 0 times as he said in another post that he was another wanna bee firefighter - I wonder id he is related to jr ?
                Where is that post? After checking out his posts using the SEARCH button, I saw none of what you just said, LIAR.
                I have heard of people getting steamed on accident by not checking their combination nozzle settings. Plus can't you read his signature? He is on a Rescue Squad (whatever the heck that is).
                Benton Fire District Four
                Ladder One
                First Due!


                Caddo Parish Fire District 1
                Career Firefighter/Paramedic


                When things get rough, just say:
                Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Deputy, your blanket statement about smoothbore use in commercial areas is nullified by those firefighters that successfully use them in residential occupancies on a daily basis - arguably with no difference in performance or knock-down times.

                  As for the failure and/or performance issues with the fog nozzles, we've encountered the same thing at work. We've got about 75 fogs (all from the same respected manufacturer) and we're finding fluctuations of up to 100psi between the nozzles, and we do have a preventive maintenance program for them. We also have an intradepartmental nozzle shop whose members have received training from the factory on maintenance and repair. Could it be a bad batch of nozzles, springs, a design flaw? We're researching that now.
                  Career Fire Captain
                  Volunteer Chief Officer


                  Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                    Where is that post? After checking out his posts using the SEARCH button, I saw none of what you just said, LIAR.
                    I have heard of people getting steamed on accident by not checking their combination nozzle settings. Plus can't you read his signature? He is on a Rescue Squad (whatever the heck that is).
                    That's the best thing I've read in a while. You made my night, thanks churro.
                    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                      He is on a Rescue Squad (whatever the heck that is).
                      He's a member of a large volunteer EMS agency.
                      Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 12-21-2010, 05:59 PM.
                      Career Fire Captain
                      Volunteer Chief Officer


                      Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Speaking of Reatard Alert!!!

                        Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                        I have heard of people getting steamed on accident by not checking their combination nozzle settings.
                        Yeah, that's why you check your nozzle pattern BEFORE you enter the structure, duh!

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          ours was operator's error.
                          Smooth bore is to put more volume of water in the stream to attack the fire. Commercial fires are probably the most common , but the straight stream does not have the volume to output a stable flow of water while the smooth bore does. It doesn't matter no way anyhow, as long as my crew and possible victims get out safe and the fire gets out, why does it matter?
                          Benton Fire District Four
                          Ladder One
                          First Due!


                          Caddo Parish Fire District 1
                          Career Firefighter/Paramedic


                          When things get rough, just say:
                          Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                            Plus can't you read his signature? He is on a Rescue Squad (whatever the heck that is).
                            Hmmm, what could a rescue squad be, I'm thinking. Well for one, the heavy rescue at Dalton Fire Dept is called Squad 1, so perhaps their rescue company is what they call a squad.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                              First of all.. all this whining about nozzles.... oy vey!
                              A nozzle is another tool in the toolbox... nothing more. nothing less.

                              You give a garden hose nozzle to a crusty old jake and he can probably put out the damn fire with it.

                              You have 2/20 and whiz kids with certifications up the wazoo who could not put out a trashcan fire if they threw the damn thing into a lake.

                              Dumpster fires, car fires.. deck gun the damn things, check for bodies, refill the tank and go back to quarters!

                              Everyone is bitching about the type of nozzle... how about the size of the damn line it is attached to?"

                              Chief, I'm with you. Man, how bout this weather?!
                              Matt G.
                              Battalion Chief
                              IACOJ-Member
                              FTM-PTB

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                                ours was operator's error.
                                Smooth bore is to put more volume of water in the stream to attack the fire. Commercial fires are probably the most common , but the straight stream does not have the volume to output a stable flow of water while the smooth bore does. It doesn't matter no way anyhow, as long as my crew and possible victims get out safe and the fire gets out, why does it matter?
                                Pure Genius.99% of Steam burns(by nozzle)are. T.C.

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X