Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoothbore or fog nozzle...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Clearly a troll.

    There is no way some 15 year old is coming on to this site and selected ALL the topics that will create mayhem.

    What's next Blue Lights? Leather Helmets?

    I call shenanigans on this person. She/he aint who she/he claims and is just stirring things up.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
      Clearly a troll.

      There is no way some 15 year old is coming on to this site and selected ALL the topics that will create mayhem.

      What's next Blue Lights? Leather Helmets?

      I call shenanigans on this person. She/he aint who she/he claims and is just stirring things up.
      Please, I can understand you're concerns, but this thread isn't about me.

      I appreciate all of the info and help I've gotten so far.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
        Clearly a troll.

        There is no way some 15 year old is coming on to this site and selected ALL the topics that will create mayhem.

        What's next Blue Lights? Leather Helmets?

        I call shenanigans on this person. She/he aint who she/he claims and is just stirring things up.
        I bet she soon starts a thread on Union v/s Non-Union, or Paid v/s Vollie, East v/s West, Whats the best color for a Fire Truck (Yellow of course! ) I mean, I love to argue just as much or more as the next guy, but there is no way that this "kid" just happens to ask question and start threads about some of the hottest contested subjects out there.
        Stay Safe
        Bull


        “Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
        - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

        Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
        -WINSTON CHURCHILL

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
          Please, I can understand you're concerns, but this thread isn't about me.

          I appreciate all of the info and help I've gotten so far.
          What do you mean its not about you? You are the one asking the questions and starting the threads. Why are you not in School today anyway?
          Stay Safe
          Bull


          “Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
          - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

          Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
          -WINSTON CHURCHILL

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by BULL321 View Post
            What do you mean its not about you? You are the one asking the questions and starting the threads. Why are you not in School today anyway?
            We have a winner!

            Time for this person to come clean!

            Bull, are you a detective??
            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

            "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

            "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by BULL321 View Post
              What do you mean its not about you? You are the one asking the questions and starting the threads.
              But my questions are not about me, they're regarding the stated topic.

              Originally posted by BULL321 View Post
              Why are you not in School today anyway?
              Christmas vacation




              Any other opinions, everyone has been helpful. Thanks, so far I'm learning a lot!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
                Christmas vacation
                Yea, right...

                Lame.
                I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

                "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

                "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                  Yea, right...

                  Lame.
                  How so? They still in school over in Jersey Chief?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by tfpd109 View Post
                    Wait! I have to get the popcorn ready for this one!


                    Ok, now I'm ready...
                    I like mine with butter!


                    My opinion is, they both work. I'll choose the one with the lowest reaction, and the fewest gizmos and gew gaws on it. It needs to be rugged as hell, extremely hard to clog, and operate in an intuitive fashion. In other words firefighter-hopped-up-on-adrenaline proof. No suicide knobs or other multiple control options.

                    Personally, I prefer a smoothbore. Lots of flow, a low nozzle pressure for less reaction, and exactly 1 control- an on and off. Unlike an automatic, you get instant feedback of pressure/flow problems. The solid slug of water tends to have more penetrating power and is less vulnerable to high heat.

                    If I do get a fog tip, I prefer a fixed gallonage/low pressure model. These also have the benefit of a reduced nozzle reaction, and the larger droplet size they create is also less vulnerable to high heat.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
                      I like mine with butter!


                      My opinion is, they both work. I'll choose the one with the lowest reaction, and the fewest gizmos and gew gaws on it. It needs to be rugged as hell, extremely hard to clog, and operate in an intuitive fashion. In other words firefighter-hopped-up-on-adrenaline proof. No suicide knobs or other multiple control options.

                      Personally, I prefer a smoothbore. Lots of flow, a low nozzle pressure for less reaction, and exactly 1 control- an on and off. Unlike an automatic, you get instant feedback of pressure/flow problems. The solid slug of water tends to have more penetrating power and is less vulnerable to high heat.

                      If I do get a fog tip, I prefer a fixed gallonage/low pressure model. These also have the benefit of a reduced nozzle reaction, and the larger droplet size they create is also less vulnerable to high heat.
                      Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback.

                      It's funny, regarding your comment on the pistol grip (which is what I believe you meant by suicide knob). My brother said these are largely useless. Sometimes for car fires or misc stuff they could be used, however, when attacking a building fire he's explained many times, not to hold the line by the pristol grip (his dept only has them for trash/car fires). He said this can be telling of someones experience or lack thereof.

                      As he put it; when doing this, you're basically placing the knob under your armpit area and allowing the nozzle reaction to get the better of you. By holding it, you have to rotate your whole body around with the nozzle. Instead, he was taught to hold the nozzle well out in front of your body.

                      He let me try this, it was amazing. It reduces the amount of work you have to exert and you won't be muscling the nozzle with your whole upper body.
                      He showed the difference between holding the grip while flowing a 2.5 line and then putting the nozzle way out in front of you. I could actually hold the 2.5 by myself by putting it way out in front of me!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        This entire thread is predicated on one giant lie.
                        I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

                        "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

                        "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Man, I take a week off and the pups take over? Where'd I leave that rolled up newspaper.....
                          Matt G.
                          Battalion Chief
                          IACOJ-Member
                          FTM-PTB

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by mtg55 View Post
                            Man, I take a week off and the pups take over? Where'd I leave that rolled up newspaper.....
                            A week off?

                            Sheesh, are they going soft at the salt mines?

                            Hope you were somewhere warm.
                            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

                            "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

                            "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                              A week off?

                              Sheesh, are they going soft at the salt mines?

                              Hope you were somewhere warm.
                              Hahaha, nah. Workin on the house. I WAS on your side of the border yesterday, the guards musta been sleepin
                              Matt G.
                              Battalion Chief
                              IACOJ-Member
                              FTM-PTB

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by mtg55 View Post
                                Hahaha, nah. Workin on the house. I WAS on your side of the border yesterday, the guards musta been sleepin
                                Probably just drunk.
                                I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

                                "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

                                "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X