• Show
Clear All

Attached Files
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Comment

• The same reason I learned on the old Mystery fog nozzles and solid tips on a playpipe, as well as the Navy All Purpose nozzles with applicators.

At one time that was it. All had their place and still do!!
      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

• NAPs? With APPLICATORS? You DO realize you are dating yourself,Right? Hehe T.C.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
          NAPs? With APPLICATORS? You DO realize you are dating yourself,Right? Hehe T.C.

Yeah, I bet you, as well as Harve and a very few others know about them.

We unloaded applicators back in 1998!!! There still may be a very few still around but not many.

Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 12-30-2010, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Is this the nozzle you gentlemen are referring to? We had them on our old '68, '75, and '76 ALF's. Never used one though, those were our reserve apparatus. I do rememeber it being one heavy SOB though.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
              Is this the nozzle you gentlemen are referring to? We had them on our old '68, '75, and '76 ALF's. Never used one though, those were our reserve apparatus. I do rememeber it being one heavy SOB though.
              Yes sir, we had 1", bstr, 1-1/2" and 2-1/2". Not that bad.
              Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-08-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                Yes sir, we had 1-1/2" and 2-1/2". Not that bad.
                I think they even still had the applicators for them in the top compartment. I hope I can buy the old '76 ALF whenever they get rid of it one day. It is a fine specimen, a beautiful ALF. I learned how to pump on it and the '68. The '68 was a manual, very temperamental. You had to drive her like you hated her. If you tried to go up a hill in first and let the RPM's get too low she would actually start running backwards, the motor that is. ANyway, god memories, good memoris. They don't build 'em like that anymore.

Comment

• Something like this on a 1977 AmLaFrance??

Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-08-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• the old navy applicator nozzles are the real deal for car fires.
                    ?

Comment

Something like this on a 1977 AmLaFrance??

Ours looked just like that except half the length and fit in the top open compartment where the deluge gun was mounted. But yeah, kinda like that.

Comment

Yeah, I bet you, as well as Harve and a very few others know about them.

We unloaded applicators back in 1998!!! There still may be a very few still around but not many.

We had a few, I have a few(hundred) hours with them. No comparison to what we have NOW but they did a respectable job at the time and the applicator has uses TODAY. I DON'T miss the 1.5 however,1.75 with Hiflow makes the job go much quicker. T.c.
                        Last edited by Rescue101; 07-23-2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                          NAPs? With APPLICATORS? You DO realize you are dating yourself,Right? Hehe T.C.
                          We've still got a couple in the adapter compartment. Put a 6 foot wand on the end ,and pump CAFS in through the window of a boat or motorhome fire. Works slicker than snot without having to crawl in and get all covered in crap. :-} They worked a whole lot better than the modern plastic and aluminum combo's of today

Comment

• Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
                            We've still got a couple in the adapter compartment. Put a 6 foot wand on the end ,and pump CAFS in through the window of a boat or motorhome fire. Works slicker than snot without having to crawl in and get all covered in crap. :-} They worked a whole lot better than the modern plastic and aluminum combo's of today
                            Good idea.

On a related subject, has anyone tried using Class A foam through a piercing nozzle for the same applications as above?

We tried it but with less than stellar results.
                            Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
                              Out of ALL the boat fires we've had to date,I've yet to have one go beyond the waterline. T.C.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
                                My brother said that pistol grips are largely useless. Sometimes for car fires or misc stuff they could be used, however, when attacking a building fire he's explained many times, not to hold the line by the pristol grip (his dept only has them for trash/car fires). He said this can be telling of someones experience or lack thereof.

As he put it; when holding the grip, you're basically placing the nozzle closer to your body (you work harder unnessesarily), this can also force the nozzle near or under your armpit at times.....the nozzle being closer to your body allows the nozzle reaction to get the better of you. By holding the pistol grip, you have to rotate your whole body around with the nozzle. Simple mechanics. Instead, he was taught to keep the nozzle well out in front of your body. If you try to actually hold the pistol grip out in front of your body you'll be extending your arms out, which mechanically is not easy on your arms or body and doesn't economize motion (again you work harder unnessessarily unless you like being tired of course). Keep your arms in and the nozzle well out in front.

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                                It seems your brother was taught incorrectly how to use a psitol grip nozzle . The nozzle AND the pistol grip should be out in front of the body NOT under your arm pit. I ask my students how they would hold a pistol and that the nozzle should be extended similarly in front of them. So sorry, but on this one your brother couldn't be more wrong.
                                Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                                WRONG!.........AGAIN! A pistol grip is as versatile as the operator holding it. Most of our "small" lines have 'em and the personnel are trained from day one the various methods of holding and operating a handline. Just 'cause FDNY doesn't use them does NOT make them a BAD idea. FDNY doesn't haul much Di hydrogen Monoxide either but it is a NECESSITY up here in the North woods. T.C.
                                Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                                we HAVE used pistol grips for over 25 years,I feel qualified to address this issue. The pistol grip does NOT have SOME issues,with PROPER training it becomes second nature to use it. And it is VERY easy to use the hose(With a pistol grip) in a CONVENTIONAL(NON-pistol grip) manner if one so desires. So PERHAPS a little learning is in order here before you comment on something you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about. T.C.

^^^This new video reminded me of the discussion in this thread. Great points emphasized again.
                                Last edited by Firehouse_Chick; 07-20-2011, 11:21 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X