Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air packs for car fires - Yes/No?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Air packs for car fires - Yes/No?

    Packs for car fires....what do you do? How about your department? Whether you do or not, please give your reasons.


    Many of the major depts. don't wear their packs for car fires, but the small ones do. so please, no blanket statements saying your way is the right way, just give the reasons and let's discuss why there is such a disparity of practice.


    To start, I see this topic debated a lot. normally, it's between small depts and large ones, with the smaller departments usually knocking the bigger ones for not wearing their packs for car fires. However, the large ones usually have more runs and are more experienced....are they wrong?

    If the most experienced seem to not be wearing them, aka Boston, FDNY, Chicago, ect... what is your opinion as an experienced ff?



    Quick note: As some of you may know, I'm only 15 and an explorer. I'd like to learn more about this from some of the "experienced" here.


  • #2
    More video examples to follow.......

    Comment


    • #3

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, full PPE should be worn at working auto/truck fires. This includes SCBA usage as well.

        Best reason I know...the desire to go home without breathing all the BAD stuff and shortening my life. There are simply too many poisonous fumes emitted from vehicle fires.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
          Many of the major depts. don't wear their packs for car fires, but the small ones do. so please, no blanket statements saying your way is the right way, just give the reasons and let's discuss why there is such a disparity of practice.[/I]
          -Being experienced does not change basic chemistry and chemical chain reaction. (combustion of materials in automobiles releases thousands of chemical compounds/by-products of combustion/airborne contaminates that are deadly to human lungs in the right concentrations over a given period of time.

          -Being experienced does not change the laws of Meteorology. Wind direction and velocity can change at any time and direct it back into the responders faces, thereby causing them to inhale above mentioned bad stuff.

          I bet many of the "big cities" you mentioned have written SOP's mandating SCBA use at car fires. Therefore, the question should be, "How many of them are violating written directives?"

          And by the way, you have been reported. 33 posts in less than 24 hours....Many of them trolling and argumentative in nature. The webteam has been asked for your dismissal. Merry Christmas to you!
          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

          Comment


          • #6

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
              -Being experienced does not change basic chemistry and chemical chain reaction. (combustion of materials in automobiles releases thousands of chemical compounds/by-products of combustion/airborne contaminates that are deadly to human lungs in the right concentrations over a given period of time.

              -Being experienced does not change the laws of Meteorology. Wind direction and velocity can change at any time and direct it back into the responders faces, thereby causing them to inhale above mentioned bad stuff.

              I bet many of the "big cities" you mentioned have written SOP's mandating SCBA use at car fires. Therefore, the question should be, "How many of them are violating written directives?"

              And by the way, you have been reported. 33 posts in less than 24 hours....Many of them trolling and argumentative in nature. The webteam has been asked for your dismissal. Merry Christmas to you!
              Thank you for your opinions.

              Comment


              • #8
                seriously, you're 15!! Until you know what you are [email protected]@ing about, shut up!!! You have nothing to back up any of your arguments, except a few Youtube videos!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Glad to see a younger people forming their own opinion, thanks for asking.

                  Yes we wear our air packs on every fire.

                  Esp car fires. Way too many unknown variables to do otherwise. How do you know its not a meth lab on fire? How do you know there is not a propane cylinder in the back seat. Or the limitless other things that people carry in their car.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
                    Packs for car fires....what do you do? How about your department? Whether you do or not, please give your reasons.



                    [/I]
                    Crow, is that you?

                    I have a dream, when one day people won't even ask this question

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                      And by the way, you have been reported. 33 posts in less than 24 hours....Many of them trolling and argumentative in nature. The webteam has been asked for your dismissal. Merry Christmas to you!
                      ^^^That's just your opinion, not fact.

                      No trolling, I ask questions.

                      Argumentative in nature? No, I have disagreed with some posters opinions in reply to their disagreeing with me. Although I didn't start any of the disagreements, I have no problem with the exchange of opinions.

                      You disagree all the time and I do not consider it argumentative. I happen to agree with everything I've read so far from you on here and was happy to see one of your posts weighing in on the thread. Your posts reminds me of my older brother on the job in city.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bgfdtower1 View Post
                        seriously, you're 15!! Until you know what you are [email protected]@ing about, shut up!!! You have nothing to back up any of your arguments, except a few Youtube videos!!
                        Please read my first post again. I don't have an opinion yet. I haven't biotched and do not have an argument on the topic. also, as said, those are video examples.

                        I presented everything I've heard and was hoping for people to weigh in and give me some feedback.

                        Any input on the matter?
                        Last edited by Firehouse_Chick; 12-18-2010, 12:35 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So far we've heard some good argument for packs at a car fire.

                          Now, I'm wondering if any of the aforementioned large city departments who are always seen without packs could weigh in. None of them seem to explain why they do this.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Since youtube is what you seem to understand here is a reason for packs at a car fire.

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trN1N...eature=related

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              First of all, you are a troll. The first topic you were in you started right off insulting people by calling those that disagreed with you Safety Sallies, then you insulted the entire firefighting midwest. So don't play innocent. You are 15 years old, haven't got one single clue about anything fire related and all you want to do is stir the pot with your FDNY worship. The fact that the FDNY runs as many calls as they do doesn't automatically make them better than anyone. If they are making stupid, wreckless, safety choices, they don't get a pass because of number of members or number of calls. I like the FDNY too, and they have some of the best firefighters in the world, but they are not Gods, they are not infallible, and they are not the answer to every city's problem.

                              Now on to SCBA for car fires. The simple fact of the matter is the materials in modern cars create a witches brew of toxicity that no one knows foe sure what it contains. We have plastic, rubber, vinyl, leather, cloth, foam padding, gas, oil, anti-freeze, brake fluid, transmission fluid, power steering fluid and the real unknown whatever the owner was hauling in the vehicle. Could it be paint, pesticides, construction adhesive, ammunition or the components to make ammunition, cleaning solvents and who knows what else. The point is a vehicle fire creates toxic gases and smoke that we should protect ourselves from. How do we do that? SCBA and full PPE.

                              Now, an additional why to wearing the SCBA. I want to make it to retirement as healthy as I can and sucking in carcinogens, toxic smoke and gases that may damage or destroy my lungs, are not part of that plan. The fact that a "BIG CITY" FD doesn't wear their SCBA at a car fire or structure fire has absolutely no impact on MY actions in that regard. Same as wearing a hood to protect my neck, head and ears. Many "BIG CITY" FD's don't wear them either, they seem to enjoy facial and ear burns it seems. No thanks. I am sure you will call me a Safety Sally again and frankly I couldn't care less. I have an obligation to return home to my family at the end of my tour and if that doesn't happen because I negelcted safety regulations, was lazy, foolish or stupid, I am not doing my job.
                              Crazy, but that's how it goes
                              Millions of people living as foes
                              Maybe it's not too late
                              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X