Need two fires trucks hauled CA to TN / NJ to TN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need two fires trucks hauled CA to TN / NJ to TN

I am not sure where to post this but I thought I would start here...

I need to get two different fire trucks to TN for a local fire department. One is in California, and the other is in New Jersey. These trucks weigh aprox. 40k a piece. I do know that the shipper will need a lowboy in order to make this work.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks in advanced,

Will

That is gonna be a tough one...
    Have you already commited to buy these trucks? if not you could purchase from www.BMFALLC.com that is where we purchased a engine at a SUPER good price back last fall (BMFA is in AL), but if you are already bought the truck then my advice would be to check with http://www.freightcenter.com/ and see what the quote is. Hope my advice helped! -
    Cody

Comment

Originally posted by lilwill View Post
      I am not sure where to post this but I thought I would start here...

I need to get two different fire trucks to TN for a local fire department. One is in California, and the other is in New Jersey. These trucks weigh aprox. 40k a piece. I do know that the shipper will need a lowboy in order to make this work.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks in advanced,

Will
      Knowing a little bit about the trucking industry, I would reccomend contacting several flatbed/lowboy outfits in California in the approximate area where the first firetruck is located. They will need the overall dimensions and the weight of the truck, and the destination obviously. Get several price quotes. Hopefully they will have potential "return" freight in the area (or within a reasonable distance) of the delivery, or else you may wind up paying a little more.

Do the same thing for the other firetruck located in NJ.

Also, while you are on the phone with potential contractors, mention both hauls and if they would give you some kind of package rate, but I wouldn't hold your breath, as you have two completely sides of the country involved. But the price of asking is cheap. (I'm gonna assume it would be cheaper just to go with two independent outfits, but again, the price of asking......)

EDIT: One other thing I forgot to mention, try a flatbed outfit in or near the community in Tennesee. They may very well have trucks on the east or west coast that need freight "going home" and they may also offer a local discount for the Fire Dept purchasing the trucks.
      Last edited by FWDbuff; 12-16-2010, 01:17 PM.
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Where are they going to end up in TN, and where they donated or purchased? (It really does make a difference)

Comment

Also, if you have already purchased the trucks, make sure they're insured before they are shipped, or at least make sure the carrier is insured. They can become damaged in so many different ways during transit, especially the one coming completely accross the continent.

Comment

There are many trucks that haul loads to coasts (for export) and no loads coming back to midwest. In particular from the West coast. Box vans are easy to get a deal on for a FD on a company truck. For local FD donation of space. They are coming back empty to pickup another load. Contact transportation dept of a local manufacturer.

Flatbeds/drop deck on the other hand are much harder as many/most rigs are run by owner operators. They will drive 2000 mi empty hoping that an agent will call in the next 2 minutes with a load. Try local mfg that ship heavy equipment to the coast.

Comment

Thanks for the fast replies.

I havent thought about getting the trucks insured before they leave. I would assume the shipper insures the frieght, then when we sign for them upon reciept. At that point it then becomes ours. I will have to look into that.

These turcks were purchased, why would that make a difference?

I guess I have to do my homework. I will go to the links listed, and see if I can get a deal going somewhere. The last two we bought the seller happened to know someone and they gave a us a smokin deal. Unfortunatley that deal was only extended due to the purchase from that truck.

At any rate thanks guys.

Will

Comment

I havent thought about getting the trucks insured before they leave. I would assume the shipper insures the frieght, then when we sign for them upon reciept. At that point it then becomes ours. I will have to look into that.
                Also, not trying to insult your intelligence here, make sure that if the freight company says their insurance will cover the trucks, make sure you get a copy of their coverage to make sure that their coverage max will cover the replacement cost of your rigs(s).
                A while back Dalton had to ship a Sutphen 100+ tower truck from Georgia to Ohio. We had to use a private individual with a lowboy to fit the truck, haha. Anyway, the chief had to make sure that either our insurance would cover an damage to the truck during transit (minus the already damaged bucket, long story, message me if you wanna hear it), if not, we would have to make sure that the shipper's insurance covered it or would have to find a person/company that could cover it. I think the city insurance covered it though.

Comment

Will: long distance lowboy hauls are pretty specialized and don't come cheap unless you can have an open pick-up timing. Meaning that you can wait for a hauler to be in the area looking for a backhaul headed in your direction..

Another option would be to check with the railroads for cross country haul. They haul thousand of intermodal trailers everyday on flatbeds. Pricing is generally lower than over the road. I know Southern Pacific runs from Cal through Tenn. I think Norfolk Southern runs NJ to mid-south still.

Comment

These turcks were purchased, why would that make a difference?
                    l

Because we have a lot more luck getting shipping discounted heavily or even donated if the equipment is donated. Tugs at the heart strings more.

I will send you a PM - No, I can't. Drop me an email at [email protected]
                    Last edited by LVFD301; 12-16-2010, 10:54 PM.

Comment

East Tennesseean here. Where you located?

Comment

Know nothing about fire trucks

I'm so sorry that I can not help you at all for I am not familiar to fire trucks. But if you want to know something about fire fighting equipment, I think that I can help you in some sense.
                        Ms. Mandy Lu

GUANGDONG PING AN FIRE FIGHTING EQUIPMENT CO., LTD.

Comment

Hey Will,

Send me an e-mail with specific locations. One of my friends is an independent trucker. I'll see what he can do for you.

Joe
                          [email protected]

Comment

Holy

Moly.

Thanks guys. For real. Reminds me why I chose this profession.

In relpy:

Insulting my intellegence...????.....I suppose I need some to insult first. Thanks for the heads up.

East TN....Chatt. area.

LVFD301....I will email you tomorrow, thanks bud.

Fire exting.12 ...... thanks for offering to help me out on FF equipment, if you arent trolling PM me, I can always use the help.

JoeMZ191....I will email you tomorrow as well, thanks again.

It seems to me with all the trucks being bought and sold there is a good oportunity for a good side job for someone right now. Just a thought!

Thanks again fellas,

Will

Comment

You do not neccessarily have to have it shipped on a low boy. Measure and make sure, as a low boy will cost you more money.

I had a 1975 Seagrave shipped from CA to Memphis on a standard flatbed. You will have to find a place in the town that it is being picked up and dropped off that has a drive off loading dock. The seller helped me find a place where it was picked up and I found a place here.

I found a local truck line that was delivering stuff out there and did not have anything to bring back. It cost me $1500. I don't think I could have driven it back for that by the time you consider a flight out there, fuel, and hotel rooms along the way.
                              RK
                              cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X