X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FyredUp
    replied
    Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
    That's why I got two. Actually,I got the second for my "other" agency but they allowed me rank privilege with my promotion so it let me put the N6's in rotation.My older one will be getting rehabbed after Christmas. Just no time between now and then.And you're right about the quality, although mine seem to be holding up OK. They don't get "beat" nearly as bad since they turned WHITE,hehe T.C.
    Yeah, this time especially is rough on white helmets. You know the heater in the car can be murder on them!!

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    That's why I got two. Actually,I got the second for my "other" agency but they allowed me rank privilege with my promotion so it let me put the N6's in rotation.My older one will be getting rehabbed after Christmas. Just no time between now and then.And you're right about the quality, although mine seem to be holding up OK. They don't get "beat" nearly as bad since they turned WHITE,hehe T.C.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    No arguement there,and I didn't pay anything REMOTELY close to 6 bills for my N6's. Three ish comes to mind. And you'd have about as much luck changing MY mind as I would YOURS. Thanks for playing,I LOVE the debates. T.C.
    Seriously, when I got my brand new old school N5 leather helmet in 1981 it was freaking awesome. The most comfortable helmet I ever wore. No impact cap, no ratchet, light as a feather and tough as nails. I used that helmet for 10 years before the shell finally had had enough. I wish I could speak as highly of the N6A I had. I believe the shell on that helmet was junk from the start. The first fire it saw virtually all of the paint fell off the shell in sheets. I repainted it, kept it clean, didn't throw it around and still 5 years later junk. The replacement shell was pretty much the same story. Ontop of the fact the helmet seemed to weigh a ton and was miserably uncomfortable to wear.

Now if you could get me an old school N5, that was somehow NFPA approved, so I could wear it at work, I ould take that in a heart beat. The new ones? No thank you. But I will not interfere with your intimate personal relationship with your leather helmet!!

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
    And I won't try to change your mind. As I said your mileage may vary. I just don't see myself at thos point in my career spending $500 for a leather helmet when the pleathers have served me well.

As for the OP, he is a junior and just starting out in this business. Who knows, maybe after he sees his first dead victim he may decide to go off and do something else. A pleather wiill suit him fine in these early years and if he likes the job he can buy a leather later on, if he still wants to.
    No arguement there,and I didn't pay anything REMOTELY close to 6 bills for my N6's. Three ish comes to mind. And you'd have about as much luck changing MY mind as I would YOURS. Thanks for playing,I LOVE the debates. T.C.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    And as you say,our experiences differ. Our n5/n6's see PLENTY of fire over the years and we've lost TWO. We have also scrapped an equal number of composites so for what WE do,either will work fine but there is no signicant gain to composites except the price. Our personnel seem to favor leather and happy people are productive people. I think the cow will be stayin', T.C.

And I won't try to change your mind. As I said your mileage may vary. I just don't see myself at thos point in my career spending $500 for a leather helmet when the pleathers have served me well.

As for the OP, he is a junior and just starting out in this business. Who knows, maybe after he sees his first dead victim he may decide to go off and do something else. A pleather wiill suit him fine in these early years and if he likes the job he can buy a leather later on, if he still wants to.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
    My PLASTIC Chieftan traditional styled helmet, and my PLASTIC Ben II traditional styled helmet, have seen as many if not more fires in the burn tower than my Cairns N6A Leather ever did and they have survived unscathed.

To me the moral of the story is as long as you don't see much fire, or face much heat, the leather helmet is a good choice. IF you however will be working in high heat, repeatedly, the leather helmet is a VERY POOR CHOICE. In fact, an overpriced poor choice.

I can't see the need for having to have a helmet to use for training and a different one for the real world. Especially when you are admitting that the leather helmet will not hold up to repeated high heat exposures. Nope, I think I will stay with my PLEATHERS, cheaper, and apparently tougher.
    And as you say,our experiences differ. Our n5/n6's see PLENTY of fire over the years and we've lost TWO. We have also scrapped an equal number of composites so for what WE do,either will work fine but there is no signicant gain to composites except the price. Our personnel seem to favor leather and happy people are productive people. I think the cow will be stayin', T.C.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Rescue 101 --- he hasnt sent the check yet --- I gave him my pin/routing/ account/ss numbers -- still no check -its proably lost in the Christmas rush mail.
    So is the two Mercedes he wants you to pick up in NY.hehe T.C.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyChiefGonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
    ya but will you be wearing that cover in non-training fires?
    probably not b/c you want to show your leather pride. Why spend money on something you know that will get destroyed in uncontrolled enviroments? Composites don't need those covers.
    The tactical tupperware (Morning Pride) is Academy issue as is the Morning Pride gear I wear there.

There's nothing wrong with pride in a leather lid...

C'mon, c'mon say it loud
    I wear cow and wear it proud!
    Cow on my feet, cow on my head
    You can take my cow when I am dead!!!

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Moral of the story: if you are going to be doing a lot of live fire training, have a helmet designated for that. A leather should last just fine under normal firefighting conditions. Instructing over and over in a burn building does not qualify as normal firefighting conditions.
    My PLASTIC Chieftan traditional styled helmet, and my PLASTIC Ben II traditional styled helmet, have seen as many if not more fires in the burn tower than my Cairns N6A Leather ever did and they have survived unscathed.

To me the moral of the story is as long as you don't see much fire, or face much heat, the leather helmet is a good choice. IF you however will be working in high heat, repeatedly, the leather helmet is a VERY POOR CHOICE. In fact, an overpriced poor choice.

I can't see the need for having to have a helmet to use for training and a different one for the real world. Especially when you are admitting that the leather helmet will not hold up to repeated high heat exposures. Nope, I think I will stay with my PLEATHERS, cheaper, and apparently tougher.

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    Rescue 101 --- he hasnt sent the check yet --- I gave him my pin/routing/ account/ss numbers -- still no check -its proably lost in the Christmas rush mail.

Leave a comment:

• 164thDelta
    replied
    I have 2 1010's, 2 660's and a Ben II along with my new N6A.......I think they are all good helmets but the N6A to me is superior. I reckon I will use my Ben II for training evolutions but other than that, it is strictly the N6A. I used Bullards and have never had a Chieftan or know anyone else who has had one but in my 16 years in the fire service, never had a failure of helmets from any of the brands.

Leave a comment:

• firefightinirish217
    replied
    TOLD YA!
    To my defense, I didn't have the opportunity to buy what I wanted, I was issued an ugly *** yellow 1010, but it's my ugly *** 1010 that's seen it's share of fire, so I'm still proud of it.

Had I had my preferences I would have had a black N6A.

And go figure, after I left to join the USMC, Dalton switched to black 1010's, the irony!
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-16-2010, 05:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Moral of the story: if you are going to be doing a lot of live fire training, have a helmet designated for that. A leather should last just fine under normal firefighting conditions. Instructing over and over in a burn building does not qualify as normal firefighting conditions.

Leave a comment:

• FIREguy2011
    replied
    long standind debate:
    OLD SATLY FIREMAN:
    leather 4ever!!!!!
    Newbie Firefighter (notice polical correctness):
    composite!
    TOLD YA!

Leave a comment:

• firefightinirish217
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    After we bought the 660's, we burned up, melted, about 6 of them in the burning building at our academy. We were burning flats, hay, cardboard boxes and has a couple of mattress' in the rooms.

I call Mr. Coombs and he sent me a air flight ticket to bring them to the factory. They examined them and replaced all.

I still have my New York 5A, hanging on my man cave wall.
    Cool, I got a man cave too, my wife got tired of me hanging my yellow/brown (haha) 1010 on the bedroom wall and sometimes it made it into the living room curio cabinet, lol. So now, I have a man cave.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X