Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather Helmets?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
    ya but will you be wearing that cover in non-training fires?
    probably not b/c you want to show your leather pride. Why spend money on something you know that will get destroyed in uncontrolled enviroments? Composites don't need those covers.
    You SERIOUSLY think Tuppyware is Superior to leather for "uncontrolled" enviornments? Puulleeeze! There are three of us that regularly work the COFC's flashover trailer and NONE of us wear plastic.Keep your HEAD DOWN,the helmet lasts a LOT longer. A little nozzle control doesn't hurt either. T.C.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
      hmm...aren't they stopping production though?
      Temprorarily, they begin production again sometime in January. They had paint issues to straighten out. At least they stopped production instead of saying screw it for the all mighty dollar. It's called integrity, apparently Cairns has it.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
        You SERIOUSLY think Tuppyware is Superior to leather for "uncontrolled" enviornments? Puulleeeze! There are three of us that regularly work the COFC's flashover trailer and NONE of us wear plastic.Keep your HEAD DOWN,the helmet lasts a LOT longer. A little nozzle control doesn't hurt either. T.C.

        At this point in my career, YES I DO. After virtually destroying my N6A, having the shell replaced for free by Cairns and then destroying that one too in the burn tower at the tech college I am not as impressed with leather helmets as I once was. I have been using a Chieftan traditional on my volly FD for about 6 or 7 years and it has seen actual fire runs and been used in the tower and it shows no signs of damage. At the tech college we are issued Ben II's and that has seen some good fires over the last 7 years and other than being discolored it has shown no damage either. So for me, YES, I do believe a GOOD plastic traditional is superior in its ability to resist damage to heat. Your mileage and opinion may vary.

        Frankly, the cost difference today makes it an even better deal. Over $500 for a leather and around $200 for a plastic traditional. Hell I would rather spend that extra $300 on some good leather boots and gloves. But that is just me I suppose.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
          At this point in my career, YES I DO. After virtually destroying my N6A, having the shell replaced for free by Cairns and then destroying that one too in the burn tower at the tech college I am not as impressed with leather helmets as I once was. I have been using a Chieftan traditional on my volly FD for about 6 or 7 years and it has seen actual fire runs and been used in the tower and it shows no signs of damage. At the tech college we are issued Ben II's and that has seen some good fires over the last 7 years and other than being discolored it has shown no damage either. So for me, YES, I do believe a GOOD plastic traditional is superior in its ability to resist damage to heat. Your mileage and opinion may vary.

          Frankly, the cost difference today makes it an even better deal. Over $500 for a leather and around $200 for a plastic traditional. Hell I would rather spend that extra $300 on some good leather boots and gloves. But that is just me I suppose.
          Just between you,me and the fly on the wall I wouldn't take the GIFT of a chieftain helmet. We tried a few a while back and they just fell apart. We issue 1010's or 1044's but if the wearer wants to upgrade, they kick in the difference. Probably 50% of our personnel do. We haven't had any serious degradation of Leather HERE unless the helmets were misused or not cared for. PPE checks are done annually,if anything is found not to be in spec,it is removed from service. HERE,the leathers hold up better than the composites. T.C.

          Comment


          • #35
            After we bought the 660's, we burned up, melted, about 6 of them in the burning building at our academy. We were burning flats, hay, cardboard boxes and has a couple of mattress' in the rooms.

            I call Mr. Coombs and he sent me a air flight ticket to bring them to the factory. They examined them and replaced all.



            I still have my New York 5A, hanging on my man cave wall.
            Stay Safe and Well Out There....

            Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

            Comment


            • #36
              depends on different fire loads?
              back to what LaFire was saying.
              Benton Fire District Four
              Ladder One
              First Due!


              Caddo Parish Fire District 1
              Career Firefighter/Paramedic


              When things get rough, just say:
              Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                After we bought the 660's, we burned up, melted, about 6 of them in the burning building at our academy. We were burning flats, hay, cardboard boxes and has a couple of mattress' in the rooms.

                I call Mr. Coombs and he sent me a air flight ticket to bring them to the factory. They examined them and replaced all.



                I still have my New York 5A, hanging on my man cave wall.
                Cool, I got a man cave too, my wife got tired of me hanging my yellow/brown (haha) 1010 on the bedroom wall and sometimes it made it into the living room curio cabinet, lol. So now, I have a man cave.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                  long standind debate:
                  OLD SATLY FIREMAN:
                  leather 4ever!!!!!
                  Newbie Firefighter (notice polical correctness):
                  composite!
                  TOLD YA!
                  Benton Fire District Four
                  Ladder One
                  First Due!


                  Caddo Parish Fire District 1
                  Career Firefighter/Paramedic


                  When things get rough, just say:
                  Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Moral of the story: if you are going to be doing a lot of live fire training, have a helmet designated for that. A leather should last just fine under normal firefighting conditions. Instructing over and over in a burn building does not qualify as normal firefighting conditions.
                    Career Firefighter
                    Volunteer Captain

                    -Professional in Either Role-

                    Originally posted by Rescue101
                    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                      TOLD YA!
                      To my defense, I didn't have the opportunity to buy what I wanted, I was issued an ugly *** yellow 1010, but it's my ugly *** 1010 that's seen it's share of fire, so I'm still proud of it.

                      Had I had my preferences I would have had a black N6A.

                      And go figure, after I left to join the USMC, Dalton switched to black 1010's, the irony!
                      Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-16-2010, 06:15 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I have 2 1010's, 2 660's and a Ben II along with my new N6A.......I think they are all good helmets but the N6A to me is superior. I reckon I will use my Ben II for training evolutions but other than that, it is strictly the N6A. I used Bullards and have never had a Chieftan or know anyone else who has had one but in my 16 years in the fire service, never had a failure of helmets from any of the brands.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Rescue 101 --- he hasnt sent the check yet --- I gave him my pin/routing/ account/ss numbers -- still no check -its proably lost in the Christmas rush mail.
                          ?

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                            Moral of the story: if you are going to be doing a lot of live fire training, have a helmet designated for that. A leather should last just fine under normal firefighting conditions. Instructing over and over in a burn building does not qualify as normal firefighting conditions.
                            My PLASTIC Chieftan traditional styled helmet, and my PLASTIC Ben II traditional styled helmet, have seen as many if not more fires in the burn tower than my Cairns N6A Leather ever did and they have survived unscathed.

                            To me the moral of the story is as long as you don't see much fire, or face much heat, the leather helmet is a good choice. IF you however will be working in high heat, repeatedly, the leather helmet is a VERY POOR CHOICE. In fact, an overpriced poor choice.

                            I can't see the need for having to have a helmet to use for training and a different one for the real world. Especially when you are admitting that the leather helmet will not hold up to repeated high heat exposures. Nope, I think I will stay with my PLEATHERS, cheaper, and apparently tougher.
                            Crazy, but that's how it goes
                            Millions of people living as foes
                            Maybe it's not too late
                            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                              ya but will you be wearing that cover in non-training fires?
                              probably not b/c you want to show your leather pride. Why spend money on something you know that will get destroyed in uncontrolled enviroments? Composites don't need those covers.
                              The tactical tupperware (Morning Pride) is Academy issue as is the Morning Pride gear I wear there.

                              There's nothing wrong with pride in a leather lid...

                              C'mon, c'mon say it loud
                              I wear cow and wear it proud!
                              Cow on my feet, cow on my head
                              You can take my cow when I am dead!!!
                              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                                Rescue 101 --- he hasnt sent the check yet --- I gave him my pin/routing/ account/ss numbers -- still no check -its proably lost in the Christmas rush mail.
                                So is the two Mercedes he wants you to pick up in NY.hehe T.C.

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X