No announcement yet.

Leather Helmets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by SkylinePCG; 12-17-2010, 12:43 PM.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Comment

Just buy you a new leather and move on.
      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
        Just buy you a new leather and move on.
        The only problem with that is the money.

Comment

Originally posted by stevetc99 View Post
          The only problem with that is the money.
          Ask santa, the wife, mommy, daddy or start picking up cans for recycle. I could raise the money in less than a month by picking up old soda and beverage cans for recycle.
          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

CaptOldTimer...thats pretty good ***** there, I don't care who you are that was funny!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
              Ask santa, the wife, mommy, daddy or start picking up cans for recycle. I could raise the money in less than a month by picking up old soda and beverage cans for recycle.
              Lol I did ask mommy but she said she only has $100 but I could pay some of the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 164thDelta View Post
                CaptOldTimer...thats pretty good ***** there, I don't care who you are that was funny!
                It was!! I almost spewed tea on the keyboard and screen.

Hey we recyle at home. All the aluminum cans go in a bin and we bag them up. When I have a pickup full, serveal months worth, we take them into recylce and end up with maybe 150.00 or more depending how many garbage bags I have.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                  long standind debate:
                  OLD SATLY FIREMAN:
                  leather 4ever!!!!!
                  Newbie Firefighter (notice polical correctness):
                  composite!

Think about it this way (I Dont use a leather {yea buff go ahead and throw an insult at me } so correct me if I'm wrong)

Flashover chamber:
                  Composite still in working condition
                  Leather damaged

Price:
                  Composite about half price
                  Leather 1 for the price of 2 composites

Weight:
                  composite lighter
                  leather heavier

do you really want to spend $500 BUCKS and ruin it in a training flashover? or do you want to be running around the fireground with a bowling ball on your head?

Just my thoughts.
                  Boston FD recruits just went through their flashover simulator training ( I was working support for the Mass Fire Academy's firefighter 1-2 certification at their training facility on Moon Island)... they are issued N5A's.. and didn't damage them. They had aluminized covers for their lids... The Massachusetts Fire Academy issues "tactical tupperware" lids with aluminized covers for their flashover simulator.

Wear tactical tupperware in a flashover simulator without the aluminized cover.. I guarantee it will be trashed. Just working in the burn building at the Academy I have already been through 3 tactical tupperware lids; and I haven;t been in any temperatures even approaching the heat of a flashover simulator... and on the job I have been through three department issue tactical tupperware lid... my leathers are just fine, thank you... as a matter of fact, I will be giving my son my N6A when he graduates from the MFA's call/volunteer program in March
                  ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                  Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Being as he is a junior, a "training" helmet is probably just fine for him. I am sure if he were an actual firefighter they wouldn't make him buy his own helmet.

OP- if you want a leather, buy one. Save your money and ask everyone at Christmas and birthday time for cash. And keep a plastic helmet around for training burns.
                    Career Firefighter
                    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                      Hey bud when king raul's cuzzin from Nigeria sends me my money , ill buy you a brand new one -- heck -ill even throw in a lightbar.
                      Say WHAT? How'd you get that ol' boy to send you a welfare check? Hehe T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                        Boston FD recruits just went through their flashover simulator training ( I was working support for the Mass Fire Academy's firefighter 1-2 certification at their training facility on Moon Island)... they are issued N5A's.. and didn't damage them. They had aluminized covers for their lids... The Massachusetts Fire Academy issues "tactical tupperware" lids with aluminized covers for their flashover simulator.

Wear tactical tupperware in a flashover simulator without the aluminized cover.. I guarantee it will be trashed. Just working in the burn building at the Academy I have already been through 3 tactical tupperware lids; and I haven;t been in any temperatures even approaching the heat of a flashover simulator... and on the job I have been through three department issue tactical tupperware lid... my leathers are just fine, thank you... as a matter of fact, I will be giving my son my N6A when he graduates from the MFA's call/volunteer program in March
                        Note to SELF: Keep HEAD DOWN! T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post

ya but will you be wearing that cover in non-training fires?
                          probably not b/c you want to show your leather pride. Why spend money on something you know that will get destroyed in uncontrolled enviroments? Composites don't need those covers.
                          Benton Fire District Four
                          Ladder One
                          First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
                          Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
                          Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Comment

but it's above my paygrade, so it's whatever.
                            Ladder One
                            First Due!

Comment

Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                              long standind debate:
                              OLD SATLY FIREMAN:
                              leather 4ever!!!!!
                              Newbie Firefighter (notice polical correctness):
                              composite!

Think about it this way (I Dont use a leather {yea buff go ahead and throw an insult at me } so correct me if I'm wrong)

Flashover chamber:
                              Composite still in working conditionLeather damaged

Weight:
                              composite lighter
                              leather heavier
                              Consider yourself corrected then. We got a brand new, state of the art burn building at Dalton Fire Department. WE decided to do some training in it raight after we got it and, suffice to say, we got it a little TOO hot in there (this lead to training for training with the burn building, haha). Anyway, it never really reached flashover conditions, but it did get hot enough that it ruined a couple of 1010"s, bad enough that they had to be taken out of service. The plastic bubbled, the rubber trim melted, and the helmet was severly discolored. As for the weight issue, I've had both on my head, and honestly, I can't tell one iota of weight difference between a 1010 and a N6A. If anything, the N6A fit better.
                              Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-16-2010, 03:20 PM.

Comment

hmm...aren't they stopping production though?
                                Ladder One
                                First Due!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X