Leather Helmets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Helmets?

Hey guys, I am a junior firefighter with my towns vollie dept. We have full 100% real retired gear except for the helmet, which is some kind of training helmet which doesnt stay on your head at all and always falls of my and the rest of the guys' heads when we drill. I didn't realise that it was a training helmet until I tried on a real one at a meuseum and when I asked the offcers they told me what mine was.

Any way, long story short I'm looking for a new helmet, prefrebrly leather, so if anyone could tell me where I can get one for a decent price that would be great. Also if anyone has one laying around that they are willing to donate/sell for a reasonable price that would be greater.

Originally posted by stevetc99 View Post
    Hey guys, I am a junior firefighter with my towns vollie dept. We have full 100% real retired gear except for the helmet, which is some kind of training helmet which doesnt stay on your head at all and always falls of my and the rest of the guys' heads when we drill. I didn't realise that it was a training helmet until I tried on a real one at a meuseum and when I asked the offcers they told me what mine was.

Any way, long story short I'm looking for a new helmet, prefrebrly leather, so if anyone could tell me where I can get one for a decent price that would be great. Also if anyone has one laying around that they are willing to donate/sell for a reasonable price that would be greater.

Do a search using the search feature. You may find what you are looking for.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

well if u r a JR Firefighter...idk if u went through training or anything yet as far as fire school but id hold off on the new helmet its gonna get all salty in training....other wise try the firestore.com they have good ones

Comment

Yea, Right! Sure you are. I like this part of your post the best "I didn't realise that it was a training helmet until I tried on a real one at a meuseum and when I asked the offcers they told me what mine was." This old boy is trying to pull our leg. Nice try, but no sell!
        Stay Safe
        Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
        - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
        -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

Hey bud when king raul's cuzzin from Nigeria sends me my money , ill buy you a brand new one -- heck -ill even throw in a lightbar.
          ?

Comment

What's a training helmet?
            www.miamivalleyfools.org

Comment

It's like training pants for a toddler.... or a training bra....
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by BULL321 View Post
                Yea, Right! Sure you are. I like this part of your post the best "I didn't realise that it was a training helmet until I tried on a real one at a meuseum and when I asked the offcers they told me what mine was." This old boy is trying to pull our leg. Nice try, but no sell!
                Ok thats cool. Except it's not a joke. I really have a training helmet and they told us if we want a real one we need to get it ourselves.

Comment

you know...the kind we give out to kids at PR events. I would not waste my money on a leather helmet until I know where I am gonna work at and if they will even allow you to use them. It would suck to purchase a nice leather Cairns/Phenix/Conway helmet and not be able to use the thing because the department that you may get on in the future does not allow them. Look at the Cairns 1010/or 880's. I don't think they will set you off for more than 200. Check ebay, you may be able to find one there dirt cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by 164thDelta View Post
                    you know...the kind we give out to kids at PR events. I would not waste my money on a leather helmet until I know where I am gonna work at and if they will even allow you to use them. It would suck to purchase a nice leather Cairns/Phenix/Conway helmet and not be able to use the thing because the department that you may get on in the future does not allow them. Look at the Cairns 1010/or 880's. I don't think they will set you off for more than 200. Check ebay, you may be able to find one there dirt cheap!
                    Thanks for actually helping me and I do know the department that I am going to be vollie-ing at and the do allow it.

Comment

long standind debate:
                      OLD SATLY FIREMAN:
                      leather 4ever!!!!!
                      Newbie Firefighter (notice polical correctness):
                      composite!

Think about it this way (I Dont use a leather {yea buff go ahead and throw an insult at me } so correct me if I'm wrong)

Flashover chamber:
                      Composite still in working condition
                      Leather damaged

Price:
                      Composite about half price
                      Leather 1 for the price of 2 composites

Weight:
                      composite lighter
                      leather heavier

do you really want to spend $500 BUCKS and ruin it in a training flashover? or do you want to be running around the fireground with a bowling ball on your head?

Just my thoughts.
                      Benton Fire District Four
                      Ladder One
                      First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
                      Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
                      Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Comment

Well Steve.....if you are looking to get a Cairns Leather that is NFPA, it is going to put you out about $550-$650. Phenix helmets are supposedly good, I don't know though since I have a Cairns Sam Houston. Phenix are around $450 to $500. Paul Conways are also good leathers but I think the Cairns Houston is the best. It is really preference! I did my research on the leather helmets before getting mine. thefirestore.com had Cairns on sale last week but the sale is over and the Cairns manufacturing plant for the N6A Sam Houston helmet is down until after the new year so I would check around. You can get a deluxe Cairns through sunbeltfire.com for probably the best price but check around. Maybe some of the other guys can give you some insight on other helmets but I believe there are only 3 leathers that are NFPA compliant...Cairns N6A Sam Houston, Phenix, and Paul Conway. Correct if I wrong....there may be others

Comment

Ok thats cool. Except it's not a joke. I really have a training helmet and they told us if we want a real one we need to get it ourselves.
                          I thought all departments are supposed to provide efficient gear for all members?
                          Benton Fire District Four
                          Ladder One
                          First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
                          Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
                          Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Comment

Originally posted by 164thDelta View Post
                            Well Steve.....if you are looking to get a Cairns Leather that is NFPA, it is going to put you out about $550-$650. Phenix helmets are supposedly good, I don't know though since I have a Cairns Sam Houston. Phenix are around $450 to $500. Paul Conways are also good leathers but I think the Cairns Houston is the best. It is really preference! I did my research on the leather helmets before getting mine. thefirestore.com had Cairns on sale last week but the sale is over and the Cairns manufacturing plant for the N6A Sam Houston helmet is down until after the new year so I would check around. You can get a deluxe Cairns through sunbeltfire.com for probably the best price but check around. Maybe some of the other guys can give you some insight on other helmets but I believe there are only 3 leathers that are NFPA compliant...Cairns N6A Sam Houston, Phenix, and Paul Conway. Correct if I wrong....there may be others
                            Thanks, do you know of any sites other then ebay that sell used helmets?

Originally posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
                            I thought all departments are supposed to provide efficient gear for all members?
                            But not jrs.

Comment

http://www.turnoutgear.net/turnout-g...lmets-for-sale

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X