Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridebmxnc
    replied
    we had a guy that worked with us that made wooden pick axe heads and we bought a handle and had it wrapped with military 5-fifty cord and then had a multese cross burned into the head of the axe and the dates he was stationed with us.

Leave a comment:

• Dickey
    replied
    Originally posted by snowball View Post
    Pay his medical insurance for a year.
    Now that one is truly unique. Bet he would appreciate this more than anything!

A shadow box with past badges, ribbons, etc. is always nice and historic, can be passed on to kids or grandkids too.

Leave a comment:

• len1582
    replied
    We gave this to a guy who retired several months ago. The background in the plaque is a dark maroon and looks nice.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• WBFD25
    replied
    When I was president of my department's fire fighter's association, I made it a point to give mantel clocks to those members who reached the 25 year milestone in their career. We've also given placques, a helmet the one time (its what he always asked for), and now shadowboxes complete with badge and patch mounted.

Leave a comment:

• snowball
    replied
    Pay his medical insurance for a year.

Leave a comment:

• fireemt19
    replied
    try our designs inc. http://www.ourdesigns.com/ they have some different awards and plaques.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    A shadow box with all his badges, medals, name tag patches of the department. Date Hired - Date Retired.

If you can find out the companies the member worked add them, that is a nice touch too.

As Chief Gonzo said, if the member wasn't well like, find a old phone booth for the get together! Plenty of room in it.

Leave a comment:

• mrpita
    replied
    Well, it is a small world, never knew you worked for Mr. Lee. Couldn't remember the Capt's name, and I thought I heard he wasn't doing them anymore, but I thought someone else was doing stuff now, don't know who (whom?).

Leave a comment:

• FWDbuff
    replied
    PITA- I searched for Captain Popolow's website, seems to have been taken out of service. I got to know him when I worked for Walt Lee years ago (doing the plaques you mentioned.) Walt used to mount and frame Rich's paintings. I saw him at Walt's funeral about 2 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• mrpita
    replied
    The usual plaques, engraved axes, etc.

Probably most common is a plaque with commemorative shield for the company assignment. One Lt. got a plaque showing replica or miniature helmet shields for all the ranks/assignments he held, with dates of the assignments listed.

We're also fortunate to have some artists who are members or else known to the dept. who do paintings; some retirees have gotten portraits of the last truck or firehouse they were assigned to, or a group of smaller portraits showing several of the trucks they have been assigned*. Another popular painting is a gear rack showing all the old style running coats (names on the backs) of their last assigned crew/house, usually with the honoree's coat shown more fully and boots shown off the rack with the tops rolled down to reveal his name and badge # "marked" inside**.

* + ** - examples below
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pasobuff
    replied
    I like the presentation helmet and retirement badge myself.....

Leave a comment:

• DeputyChiefGonzo
    replied
    Presentation helmet with the FD's helmet shield.
    Mounted axe with a plaque.
    Gold retirement badge.

Of course... there are those firefighters who are so well "liked" that their retirement party could be held in a small cardboard box....

Leave a comment:

• fire49
    replied
    Mounted axe with plaque

Challenge coin

Leave a comment:

• nwadler
    started a topic Fire Department Retirement Gift

Fire Department Retirement Gift

I have done some research and have not come up with too much in the way of retirement gift ideas. I work for a medium size career department and am on the awards committee. I have been tasked with finding some possible alternate retirement awards/gifts. I am big on tradition but cost is also a major issue.

In the past we have done a plaque or shadow box. Any ideas you have please let me know. Thank you.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X