Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the first on scene at medical calls in you district?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are dispatched though our Sheriffs office so they are usually first on scene to everything. They drive fast and hard and have a small head start on us anyways and then usually arrive and declare scene safe if need be or clear traffic. Next is usually a rescue truck unless it is a confirmed structure and we ditch the rescue for an engine. Our Ambulance is separate from our fire so just depends on where the call is if they are going to beat us there or we beat them.

Comment

For us its usually the police. God knows why they are so eager to get there.
      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

ambulance and an engine

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
          For us its usually the police. God knows why they are so eager to get there.
          Quarterly merit awards? If we get a distressed child call or a working fire with occupants inside, the street is littered with cruisers. If it's an accident or a 5150, you won't see one.
          IAFF

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
            Why would you need to establish command on a medical aid?
            If you establish command at every call, then it becomes habit. It's a lot easier to expand an existing command structure than it is to try to herd the cats once an incident expands beyond a single company.

As for who's on first, in my district it's usually our first responders, but that depends largely on where it is. Our station is about seven miles from the staffed NFP ambulance, so in that direction, it can be a draw, or they may beat us, since they're usually on the road before I can find my shoes, much less get to the station and pick up the apparatus.

Dispatch sends the cops to all behavioral calls, OD's, and other potentially violent situations, especially since we lost a volunteer EMT to a GSW a couple of years ago. They also go on "unconcious/unresponsive" calls since those sometimes involve an "unattended death" (ie, not under the direct care of an physician) and they'll have to do a report. Sometimes they get there first, and many patrol cars carry an AED and the cops know how to use them.
            Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

We send an ALS staffed Ambulance.
              There are a few times when I wish dispatch would call it in as a pt on fire , so some of the hose draggers would get out of bed in the middle of the night to help tote the big guy down.
              :-}

Call would go something like this:

CC dispatch to .... fire & rescue, respond to park street for a fully involve fat man down ,but breathing.

Comment

PD first.

Vol EMS second.

Countywide paid medic service third.

FD does not respond to EMS calls.
                "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

The parish EMS service houses an ambulance at our Central Station, which is our only staffed station. As a rule, they arrive together unless one or the other is out of the station.

Most of the time one of our volunteers or off-duty career members responding from home as a volunteer arrives before the on-duty staff and/or ambulance.

Sheriff's department responds (cold) on all medical calls, and generally arrives after we do.
                  Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Medical Responses

One of our Medic Engines will beat the Ambulance on scene 9 out of 10 times.
                    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X