Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the first on scene at medical calls in you district?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the first on scene at medical calls in you district?

I thought that that this would be an interesting poll since the answer varies so much from community to community. Please Vote!!!
    Career Fire Department
    36.21%
    Volunteer Fire Department
    29.31%
    Career Ambulance Squad
    6.90%
    Volunteer Ambulance Squad
    3.45%
    Private Ambulance Company
    3.45%
    Police/Sheriff's Department
    13.79%
    First Responders/Rescue Squad
    6.90%
    Last edited by FireRescue61; 12-04-2010, 09:04 AM.

Our dispatch rules are more convoluted than trying to read assembly instructions in Cantonese. Depeding on circumstances of the call, first on scene could be any of Career FD, Career EMS (FD run anyway), or police. And there are still some volunteer EMS squads in the city that could be first also, though not dispatched by 911.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Comment

Usually the patient gets there before anyone else.
      IAFF

Comment

Where I live, it all depends on where the call is and where the ambulance may be....generally it is the Vol FD (EMT/Medic) on scene first, with EMS next, then probably PD as the Sheriff's Office generally runs 1-2 cars for the County.....(yeah - took @ 20 min one night for a Burg in progress call to my neighbors' house!).....

If the ambulance is in the area, they might get there first......then we also have the Med Flight pad about 4 miles (2 as the crow flies) from my house - that is where I will go if I need EMS!......(been there, done that too).

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
          At least by five minutes.

Comment

ambulance, or QRP if called (or if one feels like responding QRP). We don't run QRS at the volly.

edit: just saw PD as an option. yeah, they are pretty fast.

Comment

You have that problem too?

Comment

Sometimes the patient leaves by POV before our arrival.

Comment

Nine times out of ten one of our line officers or Chiefs will arrive on scene first and establish command. Second unit on scene is our Rescue truck, and then the Ambulance shows up about 10 minutes later.

And if your wondering, we're volunteer, and the Ambulance service is career. They're just 12 miles south of us.
                  Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by EngineCO38 View Post
                    Nine times out of ten one of our line officers or Chiefs will arrive on scene first and establish command. Second unit on scene is our Rescue truck, and then the Ambulance shows up about 10 minutes later.

And if your wondering, we're volunteer, and the Ambulance service is career. They're just 12 miles south of us.
                    Why would you need to establish command on a medical aid?
                    IAFF

Comment

Each volunteer fire department in this area have whats called "first responders" basically firefighters with medical training. When the call goes out from dispatch they request first responds and send out the squad ( ambulance with 2 emts or parmedics). The idea was the first responders start working on the patient till squad gets there. Some times firefighters go along for lift help or depending on time of day something you can only get one first responder to respond to the firefighters will help out. Most arrive on scene POV and carry med bags and 02 with them.

Comment

Why would you need to establish command on a medical aid?
                        We establish some form of a command at every incident, whether it be a medical call, tree's and wires down, CO Call, etc. It's our way of keeping things simple and less confusing. Granted when we establish command at a major incident, such as a working fire. The command structure is a bit more detailed, as it should be. For the simple stuff, mostly an IC is the only thing required, sometimes Ops is established as well.
                        Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Comment

And.............

For us, First arriving is who hit the Street first. If the Heavy Rescue happens to pull out ahead of the Ambulance, then they'll get there first. We don't get the Cops on scene ahead of us unless they happen to be the ones who initiate the Call.

The PD only responds on a Fire/EMS call if, 1. It's a Law Enforcement Call and they find that they need us. Or 2. We get to our call and find we need them. They have a lot more things to do than to run our calls just to see what's going on. They also usually don't direct Traffic either, if we have a job, we just block the Street with a couple of Rigs and let people find another route..........
                          Last edited by hwoods; 12-05-2010, 08:34 AM. Reason: Tones interrupted first post.......
                          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                          In memory of
                          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Location of need and availability (of rigs) dictates on who arrives first (career).

PD normally doesn't respond, except for certain calls.

FM1
                            I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                            "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

In my town, we have a rescue squad of EMT-Basics who respond directly to the scene. We also have a rescue vehicle, a pick up truck, with a defib, CPAP, O2, splints, and other medical equipment that responds out of the fire station. Depending on the location of the call and the location of the responders going, someone will stop at the station and take the rescue vehicle. We are one of only a very few licensed EMT-Basic rescue squads in Wisconsin, most are first responder level. That means we can defib and give the 6 basic drugs for the basic level.

We do not have our own ambulance service. We used to contract with a private service but the last 3 years or so we have contracted with our neighboring FD who is full time for our ambulance service. They are right next door to us and have a response time within 10 minutes.
                              Jason Knecht
                              Firefighter/EMT
                              Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                              Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                              http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                              EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse