Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm sitting in on the new City Manager interviews....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sitting in on the new City Manager interviews....

I'm sitting in on the new City Mgr interviews next week, and I hope to get to drop 1 fire department related question of the applicants to get a perspective of their future support of the VFD. None of the applicants really know anything about a FD or a volunteer organization like a VFD.
    We are a small town (pop. 1750) Volunteer Dept, 15 members, 2 engines, steady small budget, supplemented with Grant money.
    I'm looking for ideas from others that I may not be thinking about that would size up the candidates and their true view of business.
    Any brilliant thougts?

This is a politician. You could ask his favorite color and he would lie, saying whatever color you're wearing the most of, assuming it must be what you want to hear.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by hinesfire View Post
      I'm sitting in on the new City Mgr interviews next week, and I hope to get to drop 1 fire department related question of the applicants to get a perspective of their future support of the VFD. None of the applicants really know anything about a FD or a volunteer organization like a VFD.
      We are a small town (pop. 1750) Volunteer Dept, 15 members, 2 engines, steady small budget, supplemented with Grant money.
      I'm looking for ideas from others that I may not be thinking about that would size up the candidates and their true view of business.
      Any brilliant thougts?
      Without telling them what the specific organization is, ask them what their thoughts are on an ESSENTIAL organization that is non-profit, that receives a yearly part of the municipal budget.

See what they have to say from there......
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Any brilliant thougts?

For someone who is being interviewed for a City Manager job, you say that they know nothing about the fire department? I bet they will fool the heck out of you.

A person that is sitting for a CM job better know one heck of a lot about the city government and the departments in which they will be controlling if they get that job.
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
          For someone who is being interviewed for a City Manager job, you say that they know nothing about the fire department? I bet they will fool the heck out of you.

A person that is sitting for a CM job better know one heck of a lot about the city government and the departments in which they will be controlling if they get that job.
          Capt. I agree with you but i don't think 99% of them do, Or they forget what they knew once they got that job.
          Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Comment

Any brilliant thougts?

Ask him if he is interested in becoming a volunteer.

One of the best relationships I have seen between a city manager and a fire department was when the city manager was also a firefighter.

Comment

Ask him why he wants the position in the first place and why the rest of you think he should get the job over someone else.

Then after he puts the sunshine pump up your rectum spouting off about being "civic minded", "great leader", "wants to serve the public", "feels he can make a difference" blah blah blah, then tell him it sounds more like he wants to become a firefighter and offer him a chance to be part of it.

Whatever you do, start off on the right foot. If you don't get the first impression right or develop that relationship, yes that means play the game a little bit, you will forever have problems when he misunderstands the fire department in every aspect of it.
              Jason Knecht
              Firefighter/EMT
              Township Fire Dept., Inc.
              Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
              http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
              EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

1750 People and a Town Manager is needed? Is this a full time gig?

Comment

Originally posted by Dashman View Post
                  Yes even small towns have city government. 1 vol mayor (elected), 1 City Manager, 2 sec/purchasing/budget/clerk etc, 3 maintenance workers, 3 Police Officers, & VFD.

Comment

Originally posted by Dashman View Post
                    Silly but very common now. Mostly to keep up with BS from "higher" levels for gov't who all think everyone works for them. No one can say "take a hike".

Dang good that the new city mgr will be paid more annually than Hines would need to buy ONE decent used pumper (and retire Barney).

Ask a leading question. "Do you want to join as a FF or EMT or both. Here is class schedule/locations."

Comment

Yes even small towns have city government. 1 vol mayor (elected), 1 City Manager, 2 sec/purchasing/budget/clerk etc, 3 maintenance workers, 3 Police Officers, & VFD.
                      I see this CM position as a stepping stone to gain experience for bigger and better jobs. No way they will stick around as long as "Barney".

My question to them would be, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

Good luck with getting an honest answer though.

Comment

Our CM is the Fire Chief ...Helps out A LOT!

Comment

I was thinking I should fly up and apply. Having a degree in Fire Science does not make me a firefighter but it certainly makes me more knowledgeable about the many issues that the fire service faces. Add to that, my administrative and management experience and I could probably run the city better than the politicos.

As for a question to ask;

"Tell me about your last three positions. Explain what you did and how you did it, and describe the people you worked for and the people you worked with."

Comment

Originally posted by cheffie View Post
                            I was thinking I should fly up and apply. Having a degree in Fire Science does not make me a firefighter but it certainly makes me more knowledgeable about the many issues that the fire service faces. Add to that, my administrative and management experience and I could probably run the city better than the politicos.

As for a question to ask;

"Tell me about your last three positions. Explain what you did and how you did it, and describe the people you worked for and the people you worked with."

I will vote for you as manager or anything else that you are running for!!

Comment

Heres the question.....

I asked this to 12 candidates today, only a few decent answers.

Describe your experience with, and understanding of, a communities responsibility in providing public safety services including overseeing the police and fire departments.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X