Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Your Help...Another Bunker Gear Question

Hello all,
    Thanks for stopping in. I have another bunker gear question for you all. I'm sure you have answered this a few time but believe it or not I used the search function and didn't find the answers I was looking for. Thanks for your help!!!

I am attending the TEEX academy in a month and I need to get a set of bunker gear before I start. I have researched a few places to rent from and also a few options for buying gear. This is my dilemma. I figure I can rent gear for around 500 - 700 dollars or I can try to piece together my own set for about the same price. I have read over and over again to not purchase my own gear unless I have to, but if I am going to have to invest 700 bucks into renting it shouldn't I just try to buy it and own it forever. ( or resell it afterwards)

Here is the gear I need:

NFPA approved structural firefighting helmet with face shield
    NFPA approved firefighting hood
    NFPA approved structural firefighting boots
    NFPA approved firefighting gloves
    NFPA approved structural firefighting bunker coat
    NFPA approved structural firefighting bunker pants

It stated that the gear needs to comply with the following:

•If the PPE ensemble was manufactured between November 2005 and November 2007: It must have been inspected annually and this documentation is required to be presented to us for our files. If there is no inspection documentation, the gear will not be used until inspection documentation is received.
    •If the PPE ensemble was manufactured between November 1998 and November 2005: It must have a recent advanced inspection performed after November 2007.
    •If any part of the PPE ensemble was manufactured before November 1998, that piece (helmet, coat, etc.) cannot be used for the Academy

I plan on stopping buy the firehouse tomorrow and getting an idea for sizing. If you could give me some input on the better decision (buy or rent) or even go a step further and leave some information on where to rent or buy which brands. I am not looking for the cheap gear, although without a job yet, the most inexspensive option would be best. Thanks a lot, looking forward to your comments!

(Could also use some input on lodging in College Station Texas)
    Last edited by Sum_1_Else; 12-02-2010, 03:46 AM. Reason: More info

Myself personally, unless ur buying used equipment would just rent it. new gear is going to cost you upwards or 1000 low end to 1700 roughly top end. so really its a probably more effective for you to rent being you will be issued turnouts whereever you go in the future.
    sigpicWhos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Comment

I'm a big fan of reselling my used stuff. If you have the money up front to buy it, it's doubtful you'll ruin it in an academy setting. Even if you get 50% of your inital investment back, you could still end up ahead in the long run.

I wouldn't go with top of the line gear but make sure you don't get junk either. There is fully NFPA compliant out there I wouldn't wear to a bonfire.

Best of luck to you in the academy. TEEX has some world class training.

Comment

Thanks

Any ideas on where to pickup some used gear, inexspensivly?

I searched the forum, but nothing was stated " go here for inexspensive used gear "

Comment

What part of the state are you in???
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

California

San Deigo to be exact. I will be here until christmas day and then I will start my drive to Texas. I will be there a few days before the Academy starts.

Comment

Ouch.

Boy are you going to hit cultural shock

Hit some of the depts around sa to see if you can bum some of the equip

Are you trying to work in tx eventually ?

Comment

Suggest you call Teex first if you decide to rent

They may have a program they use

Comment

I want to end up at a federal fire fighting station on base. So I am going to TEEX to obtain the training and more importantly the IFSAC seal on all of the certifications I leave with. So a federal position in texas is a possibility, but I would like to get back to a San Diego base. I will be stopping by the fire departments today in order to get sized up and maybe mooch some gear - hopefully that wont hurt my reputation down the road.

I've called TEEX and they recomend to rent but, they don't care whether the recruits rent or buy, and its not their money.

I could still use some help on places to buy the gear I neeed. Any input would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sum_1_Else View Post
                    I want to end up at a federal fire fighting station on base. So I am going to TEEX to obtain the training and more importantly the IFSAC seal on all of the certifications I leave with. So a federal position in texas is a possibility, but I would like to get back to a San Diego base. I will be stopping by the fire departments today in order to get sized up and maybe mooch some gear - hopefully that wont hurt my reputation down the road.

I've called TEEX and they recomend to rent but, they don't care whether the recruits rent or buy, and its not their money.

I could still use some help on places to buy the gear I neeed. Any input would be appreciated.

Check with the San Diego FD and see if they have some old gear that they are getting rid of and make a big plea for some.

Also find from them who is their local supplier. Sometimes they take gear in on trade. You might hit the jackpot.

Departments over our way hire you as a recruit, put you throught their training, issue all the gear and maintain it through you career there.

About the only thing you have to buy is your socks and underwear!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

You can buy new gear off the shelf somewhere, but if you plan of being measured and getting a custom set of quality gear for yourself, you can give it up. No way that will happen before the end of the year. Proabably not before Feb or March.
                      RK
                      cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

SUM

if your money for the academy is refundable, you might look into this program

you do the book work online and then spend only two weeks at thier campus, and should get the same thing you are trying for at TEEX

http://www.trainingdivision.com/Academy.asp

Comment

but teex did not have a rental company they deal with???

Comment

I'D find a buddy who works at a department...take a butt load of cookies, blue bell, etc and ask them to loan you a set. Most likely when you get to your first department, they are going to provide you a set.

I would not suggest buy top of the line gear. When your in school and you snag it on something or whatever you going to yell ****!!

Get what is going to get you through school. The instructors are not going to think your cool or know anymore than you do if you have nice gear.

Also check craigslist or ebay and see whats on there but make sure everything has the stickers/tags, all still in date and serviceable.
                            *Always leave the job a little better for the next guy*

Comment

Note his comments on require inspection records for gear. I think finding used gear with is going to be very very hard. Unless you get someone to pencilwhip it And a FD so anal they were doing these documented inspections before the last NFPA change is going to loan out gear?

I'd contact Fire Equipment dealers for demo sets. End of the year and those on calendar year for their FY may be extra interested in moving some. Will be new enough to met your req. Don't worry about pant/sleeve lenght you can have altered for less than $100 ea. Then sell it when you're done.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X