Personal Tool to use with Bail out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Tool to use with Bail out.

Okay here is my question... I am looking for a tool to use with my bail out system. Currently I have a Crosby hook and I like it although I have never taken a class on how to properly use it. I have taken a bail out class though and have practice with my belt. I have a fire innovations hook and go bail out system with a CMC escape artist. I want to get a small personal tool to you as my anchor, like a lock pulling tool or some other small personal tool. The reason I am going away from the Crosby hook is b/c In the next few months we are getting our Scotts upgraded to basically the same belt i have but we are getting the F4 and for some reason our evaluators didn't like the hook for our types of buildings so we will just have a carabineer. Thanks for your answers in advance.
    Jeff

A 3' roof hook would be a great personal tool, more so if your department carries pike poles. Make sure to get one with a metal shaft and it will work fine as an anchor.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by giweff View Post
      Okay here is my question... I am looking for a tool to use with my bail out system. Currently I have a Crosby hook and I like it although I have never taken a class on how to properly use it. I have taken a bail out class though and have practice with my belt. I have a fire innovations hook and go bail out system with a CMC escape artist. I want to get a small personal tool to you as my anchor, like a lock pulling tool or some other small personal tool. The reason I am going away from the Crosby hook is b/c In the next few months we are getting our Scotts upgraded to basically the same belt i have but we are getting the F4 and for some reason our evaluators didn't like the hook for our types of buildings so we will just have a carabineer. Thanks for your answers in advance.
      Jeff
      They give a reason for NOT liking the hook, and making it so you need another tool to use, rather then a self contained unit?
      AJ, MICP, FireMedic
      Member, IACOJ.
      FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
      This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by BLSboy View Post
        They give a reason for NOT liking the hook, and making it so you need another tool to use, rather then a self contained unit?
        They said something about buildings in our city and it not working like it's supposed to. I have talked to the guys from Fire innovations and They push not having the hook and instead using the little hammer hatchet they have but it all could also come down to money. It's cheaper with out the hook.

Also I have a four foot new york roof hook and I love the thing. I am just talking like a one or two foot smaller tool like the fubar, a REX tool, or even i think they make a 16 inch new york hook that's a captains hook. Something small I can keep on the belt b/c when you are doing engine work it's hard to carry a larger tool with you all the time.

Comment

I use the 18" fubar forcible entry tool, I carry it on my gut belt with my bail out kit. the tool is small and becomes a lot more useful after you make some modifications to it (see here http://isuhawkeye.typepad.com/halbro...ct-review.html) I don't necessarily have it to use with my bailout kit, but It could be used for that purpose in a pinch. If you have the option to keep the crosby hook on your bail out kit, I would. It doesn't have to be your primary anchor, but it's a great back up when there aren't any other options or when time is of the essence. I would like to hear more about why the Crosby doesn't work in certain buildings, from what I've seen when training with it it's an extremely versatile tool that works in most situations, the only issues I've seen is when trying to anchor in a window sill that has a smooth interior wall (like tile or painted cylinder block). Here is a little more about crosby hook anchoring options http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-prod...scape-systems/

Comment

Originally posted by Golzy12 View Post
            I use the 18" fubar forcible entry tool, I carry it on my gut belt with my bail out kit. the tool is small and becomes a lot more useful after you make some modifications to it (see here http://isuhawkeye.typepad.com/halbro...ct-review.html) I don't necessarily have it to use with my bailout kit, but It could be used for that purpose in a pinch. If you have the option to keep the crosby hook on your bail out kit, I would. It doesn't have to be your primary anchor, but it's a great back up when there aren't any other options or when time is of the essence. I would like to hear more about why the Crosby doesn't work in certain buildings, from what I've seen when training with it it's an extremely versatile tool that works in most situations, the only issues I've seen is when trying to anchor in a window sill that has a smooth interior wall (like tile or painted cylinder block). Here is a little more about crosby hook anchoring options http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-prod...scape-systems/

That is a good idea but how do you reverse the bend on the fork? I will talk to out instructors and see why they didn't like the hook. I have not had to use it but I like the idea of having the hook incase you don't have or loose your tool. Keep them coming guys.

Comment

Actually bending the fork was the only modification I didn't do (I didn't have a problem with it). I also ground an edge into the spanner wrench side of the tool just below the hammer head that I use for overhaul/wall breech, it helps slice through lath and plaster and drywall.

Comment

I'm glad that you like the modifications I made to the FUBAR tool. Just to clarify I didn't change the bend on the fork end of the tool. We changed the bevel on the fork. It had better bite for forcing doors. The change makes that end more like a traditional halligan bar
                www.JohnHalbrook.com
                www.jfd39.com

Comment

Originally posted by ISUHawkeye View Post
                  I'm glad that you like the modifications I made to the FUBAR tool. Just to clarify I didn't change the bend on the fork end of the tool. We changed the bevel on the fork. It had better bite for forcing doors. The change makes that end more like a traditional halligan bar
                  How does the fubar react to striking it when setting the forks? The striking area seems to be less forgiving than a Halligan.

Comment

I havnt had any problems with it.
                    www.JohnHalbrook.com
                    www.jfd39.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader