Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA and Firefighter disabilities

Hey everyone,

Im currently a student earning a degree in Emergency Management with a minor in Fire Administration. For one of my classes I am giving a presentation on the ADA and firefighter disabilities. I was looking for guidance from anyone that would be able to help.

The exact wording is

"What firefighter injuries have been considered disabilities under the ADA"

While I know ADA does not specifically list conditions, to prevent limiting the scope, I was looking for examples (such as court cases) that firefighters were labeled as having a disability.

Thanks for the help, and I plan on reading more and more on this forum as its constantly brought up in my courses. I plan on starting to apply at departments within the next 6 months actually.

Originally posted by JimPio View Post
    Hey everyone,

Im currently a student earning a degree in Emergency Management with a minor in Fire Administration. For one of my classes I am giving a presentation on the ADA and firefighter disabilities. I was looking for guidance from anyone that would be able to help.

The exact wording is

"What firefighter injuries have been considered disabilities under the ADA"

While I know ADA does not specifically list conditions, to prevent limiting the scope, I was looking for examples (such as court cases) that firefighters were labeled as having a disability
    There have been a few cases where an amputee has become a firefighter, etc. Type in amputee firefighter in the search box on the homepage and you can find some examples. The link provided sticks out because this guy was able to get on the job, despite being an amputee.

The issue with ADA is that for the most part, the job description for a firefighter job is defined and one would have to meet those standards to get on the job. In many cases a workplace can be ADA compliant and make reasonable accomadations for people with disabilities, but the fire service is a bit more restrictive. For instance, it would not be practical for a person confined to a wheelchair to be a firefighter.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/news/n...me-firefighter
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X