Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minitor v pagers suck

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    The v's suck. I can walk down the hall at home and this dang thing goes crazy, like the squelch is being held down. Charger sux. Don't like mine at all.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Chenzo View Post
      I've had two out of the three issues. Knock on wood, I haven't had the volume issue yet.
      I have the opposite issue with my V, it's way too loud! If I want to leave it open and listen to whats going on in the county I have to lay it speaker side down on a table or couch, otherwise it's annoyingly loud. Plus it's heavier and MUCH thicker than my old II. Wish we still had those!

      I will say though the battery lasts a lot longer than the one in the II. I can about 3 days without charging.

      Comment


      • #33
        I hate to mention this somewhat taboo subject, but this is in the same vein as the Minitor's, as my Fire Department had them for every response person until they did an equipment upgrade in the field and in Dispatch and went the whole "Nine Yards" with Tear & Go's, lights and overhead voice and 800Mhz Portable Radio's.

        So the Minitor's I think were fanned out at first to the few remaining volunteer station's and the paid stations relied on the new system (then the Volunteer stations came to the new system later on).

        At one time almost every position in the Dispatch center had a "Zetron" tone generating board, so whoever was the lead Dispatcher could tone stations and/or units out for a call, then the units switched to their appropriate tactical response channel.

        In the meantime, they further redesigned the Dispatch center and were planning on getting rid of the Zetron tone boards altogether, which they no longer used, since all calls were CAD generated now.

        And if I was on duty, I would be asked if I could do the "Final Tone Out" (not bragging) because of my bass voice and steady demeanor, and I considered it an honor to perform this service for an active duty person (and also retired), having been in the field myself and still having friends in the field.

        So to sum up a longish post, with the last Zetron going, I pointed out to Management that there would be no longer any way to do the "Final Tone Out" for a funeral detail, a touch that was just as important as the bagpipes and rifle salutes, along with the bugle and flag folding (if a military Veteran).

        Then I had to retire due to my health, but before I left, I convinced them to keep at least one Zetron in case the CAD went down (which it does on occasion) and also to keep it in case they needed to do another "Final Tone Out" (there have been at least three, that I know of, since I left).

        Comment


        • #34
          Ive had the same V for 3 years now and it still works like a charm. It occasionally changes the way it charges though which is weird (ie sound sit makes, what the light does), but it never runs out of battery and can last 2-3 days easy. It only goes static around electronics, which is to be expected.

          Comment


          • #35
            The V's do have a recall on them for the squealing issue. We have sent several back to be fixed.

            Comment


            • #36
              Just a thought about the volume. We have one member of our dept.that wears his to work. He is a machinist, and the unit fills up with metal fines and the volume cuts way down. We sent it in once and since have just taken it apart, clean it and it's good to go.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by JSMV72 View Post
                Just a thought about the volume. We have one member of our dept.that wears his to work. He is a machinist, and the unit fills up with metal fines and the volume cuts way down. We sent it in once and since have just taken it apart, clean it and it's good to go.
                You have successfully destroyed the intrinsically Safety rating of that pager.
                Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

                Comment


                • #38
                  The Minitor V squeal is microphonics caused by a mechanical link between the speakers vibration and the receivers VCO. Usually it requires disassembly and replacement of the foam pads behind the speaker and a few other places.

                  If you are experiencing degrading audio it is probably due to metal filings in the speaker causing severe performance degradation. Difficult to fix and usually requires taking to a decent repair facility. The problem is the speaker usually needs replacing due to metal collection in the speakers voice coil. Cleaning only removes what is in front of the speaker and not what was sucked up into the voice coil. Sorry for that bad news.

                  As far as the narrowband migration you can find an alternative to the Minitor V. The WatchDog from USAlert is a true narrowband designed product and not one that was half baked to work in both environments. The Minitor V is manufactured in Taiwan. I am sure the Taiwanese engineers know all about two tone voice paging. Also, if you are or have experienced false alerting you now know why.

                  If you have questions about your Minitor (any generation II, III, IV or V) or are looking for a better solution call USAlert (1 800 TWO TONE). You will find real people with real answers. These people designed the Minitor II and also the WatchDog. In my opinion "two tone" is all American and it time to bring it back home.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Don Branner View Post
                    The Minitor V squeal is microphonics caused by a mechanical link between the speakers vibration and the receivers VCO. Usually it requires disassembly and replacement of the foam pads behind the speaker and a few other places.

                    If you are experiencing degrading audio it is probably due to metal filings in the speaker causing severe performance degradation. Difficult to fix and usually requires taking to a decent repair facility. The problem is the speaker usually needs replacing due to metal collection in the speakers voice coil. Cleaning only removes what is in front of the speaker and not what was sucked up into the voice coil. Sorry for that bad news.

                    As far as the narrowband migration you can find an alternative to the Minitor V. The WatchDog from USAlert is a true narrowband designed product and not one that was half baked to work in both environments. The Minitor V is manufactured in Taiwan. I am sure the Taiwanese engineers know all about two tone voice paging. Also, if you are or have experienced false alerting you now know why.

                    If you have questions about your Minitor (any generation II, III, IV or V) or are looking for a better solution call USAlert (1 800 TWO TONE). You will find real people with real answers. These people designed the Minitor II and also the WatchDog. In my opinion "two tone" is all American and it time to bring it back home.
                    Don't let the sales rep fool you, The Monitor V's do have the ability to transfer to Narrow-band. They Do have be sent back to the factory, expensive yes, more costly than a new pager, Hello-no.
                    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Don Branner View Post
                      If you have questions about your Minitor (any generation II, III, IV or V) or are looking for a better solution call USAlert (1 800 TWO TONE). You will find real people with real answers. These people designed the Minitor II and also the WatchDog. In my opinion "two tone" is all American and it time to bring it back home.
                      Pretty sad Don. If a person posts this in a forum like this, don't you think a reputable person would include that they a salesperson, or otherwise a part of that company?

                      Not that you would be in any way biased...

                      Not to mention the violation of the TOS for this board either.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Funny , sad and true

                        Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                        I believe that is the first time I saw "Good" and "Minitor III" used in the same sentence.
                        This is funny sad and true!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                          I believe that is the first time I saw "Good" and "Minitor III" used in the same sentence.
                          Unless also used with the word "Riddance"
                          So you call this your free country
                          Tell me why it costs so much to live
                          -3dd

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I wish I could put a picture of my III up here. As of right now both knobs are gone (Replay button fixed with an 8/32 screw, black tape, and super glue). There is a few splotches of random colored paint and random pieces cracked out of it. Hasn't missed a call yet, but it does delay about two seconds behind the V's.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by CGITCH View Post
                              I wish I could put a picture of my III up here. As of right now both knobs are gone (Replay button fixed with an 8/32 screw, black tape, and super glue). There is a few splotches of random colored paint and random pieces cracked out of it. Hasn't missed a call yet, but it does delay about two seconds behind the V's.

                              Now that makes no sense... You get the page 2 seconds AFTER the V's? As in the voice is delayed, or it just opens up later in the page tones?

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by CGITCH View Post
                                I must have gotten lucky...I have heard some pretty bad things about them. When I was first issued it I thought you have to be kidding me, this P.O.S., but its stood up well, and I abuse stuff terribly (Ask my cell phone(s))
                                I have a 3 too and had no issues except a the selector knob broke but that has been fixed
                                MY VIEWS DO NOT REFLECT those of my department or association.
                                Originally posted by Rescue101
                                I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X