On duty jackets--What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On duty jackets--What do you use?

My dept is looking to change to a new type of on duty jacket. We are currently only looking at the 5-11 series jackets and was curious what other type of jackets are popular and that have gotten the best reviews. Our only must have is that the jacket must be water/weather proof with no reflective tape on jacket at all.
    All input is appreciated, and thank you, stay safe

Just don't use the MA-1 flight jacket, my dept. used those and I hated it. They're not waterproof, or even remotely water resistant and they're not really all that warm either when the wind is blowing.

Comment

No reflective tape at all? I thought the trend was towards high visibility.

Aspen Mills has a great jacket. The first one you see has reflective tape at all but that's an option; look at the inset: http://www.aspenmills.com/pages/jackets.html

Howard County, MD has been switching to the Blauer 9970-1 since last year but it's a high-viz jacket. However, the 9970-2 the version without the high-viz yellow panels and silver tape. Note, though, that the shoulders and some other parts still use the illumiNITE fabric which has reflective thread embedded in it in a hatch pattern. Under normal illumination it appears as just a faint hatch pattern, but when hit with light under otherwise dark conditions, it reflects. The 9845Z is a slightly different design but generally similar. It also has the illumiNITE fabric as well as a bit of ScotchLite piping. What's nice about the 9845Z (as well as the 9840Z, which would be too high-viz for you though) is that these two, unlike the 9970-x line, have a full standalone liner. The 9970 series has a liner but it's basically just a vest of rather skimpy proportions; it leaves a lot of the jacket unlined. The 9845Z's liner is actually something you could wear by itself, although you'd lose the weather resistance and other properties of the shell. But for just warmth alone, the liner is great.

That's one thing that's great about the 5.11 jackets I've seen, too, and I actually have an older one. They have standalone liners, too. The one I have is the 5-in-1 jacket seen here: http://www.thefirestore.com/store/ca..._11_outerwear/ Although I personally prefer the high-viz of the Blauer 9970-1 I wear now, and can compensate for the liner with sweatshirts or jobshirts and whatnot, I'd still highly recommend the 5.11.
      -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

Wait....what just happened???
        IAFF

Comment

If you in a situation where you're worried about visibility, you need to be wearing turnout gear and/or a traffic vest.
          Career Firefighter
          Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
          I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

http://www.mpuniform.com/UMSS.cfm?pa...e_code=Product

I use the 3-in-1. A bit pricey, but will last a few years, and it's warm. And for those seriously concerned about visibility...it comes with an ANSI vest, and a super duper storage pocket for it!!

*Patches are velcro'd on, so it can be used off-duty, and has a nice concealed pocket for those of you who believe in 2nd Amendment Rights like myself.
            A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Comment

I have a Blauer 6120 with reflective lettering and striping on the back. Looks sharp in uniform.

However, like other said, if you're going to be operating where visibility is a must (ie roadways), you'd be better off in a lime-green jacket, vest, or bunker coat.

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
                Wait....what just happened???
                not sayng a word...nope...no way!

Comment

Besides, you can't beat good ole bunker gear when it's cold and raining, best cold weather rain suit ever, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                    If you in a situation where you're worried about visibility, you need to be wearing turnout gear and/or a traffic vest.
                    Just for the record, the 9970-1 meets the ANSI Class II standards for visibility, and that's the same standard as most common traffic vests. So with that jacket, there's no need for a vest. One Blauer model (the 9840Z) even meets Class III standards. Some of the jackets from 5.11 also meet Class II standards as well. That being said, I don't know whether or not my department still mandates the vest to be worn even if one is wearing this jacket.

However, perhaps the OP's department wants to go with low-visibility jackets specifically so people won't rely on the few thin strips of reflective tape that most jackets have when higher visibility is needed?
                    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

if the jacket is going to be used on duty during inspections, meetings with other city agencies, and other non-emergency situations I can definitely see the desire to be low visibility. You want to look professional, not like some glowing dingbat.

Comment

just wait till he actually squirts some water --- we will be treated to a 50 paragraph dissertation on the fire tetrahedron.
                        ?

Comment

Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
                          Just for the record, the 9970-1 meets the ANSI Class II standards for visibility, and that's the same standard as most common traffic vests. So with that jacket, there's no need for a vest. One Blauer model (the 9840Z) even meets Class III standards. Some of the jackets from 5.11 also meet Class II standards as well. That being said, I don't know whether or not my department still mandates the vest to be worn even if one is wearing this jacket.

However, perhaps the OP's department wants to go with low-visibility jackets specifically so people won't rely on the few thin strips of reflective tape that most jackets have when higher visibility is needed?
                          Evidently you haven't figured out that Chiefs can't figure stuff like this out. It is beyond their reasoning capabilities.

The feds say we have to wear vests, so put a vest on over that reflective jacket.

Personally, I like the hoodie.
                          RK
                          cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin57 View Post
                            My dept is looking to change to a new type of on duty jacket. We are currently only looking at the 5-11 series jackets and was curious what other type of jackets are popular and that have gotten the best reviews. Our only must have is that the jacket must be water/weather proof with no reflective tape on jacket at all.
                            All input is appreciated, and thank you, stay safe
                            I just got a Blauer, the 9845Z I believe, and it's quite nice.

Comment

We use three different makes/models for approved work jacket. The "best" option is what I have and I recommend it.

http://www.spiewak.com/uniform/product/style/SH3465/6/

It is actually listed under their "Law Enforcement" section, not the Fire/EMS. It has no reflective tape or panels or thread save for hidden/removable/optional drop-down flaps front and back. The ones we have on this are reflective and also plastic covered - waterproof and they hang better. No substitute for a vest, but they are better than nothing for situations when a vest is not available. It's also perfect for when a vest is not warranted, but more visibility is needed. Ours have dept name/initials on them, and helps us stand out/ID for special events, EMS runs, etc. The cheaper dropdowns are just lime green fabric and screenprinted, not reflective.

All make/models are plain dark navy with epaulets and badge tabs. So three guys with different makes could be standing next to each other and from 20 feet they all look the same.

(I think the "OK" or cheapest is an Elbeco make, not sure of actual model; stay away. Cheap if any insulation, and not water resistant at all.)
                              Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X