Advice for Firefighter with Phobia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for Firefighter with Phobia

I am considering entering the structure fire career path but I have a phobia that has plagued me for all my life. I have a phobia of medical topics, strangely enough only when in the classroom (in real life situations I do fine...I worked for 6 years on a small paid dept that didn't require medical certs...we would just assist the private ambo company).
    Does anyone have any experience or advice for me or has anyone faced the same obsticle? I love firefighting but I have such a hard time trying to sit through medical trainings I don't know if I can make it.

Thanks, Private Msg me if necessary.

Originally posted by WildFED View Post
    I am considering entering the structure fire career path but I have a phobia that has plagued me for all my life. I have a phobia of medical topics, strangely enough only when in the classroom (in real life situations I do fine...I worked for 6 years on a small paid dept that didn't require medical certs...we would just assist the private ambo company).
    Does anyone have any experience or advice for me or has anyone faced the same obsticle? I love firefighting but I have such a hard time trying to sit through medical trainings I don't know if I can make it.

Thanks, Private Msg me if necessary.
    Just suck it up and go! If you want it bad enough you will adapt and overcome. I have faith in you.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

I was able to outsmart my EMS classroom phobia by taping actual pictures of my open eyes inside my Coke bottle glasses. Knock back a couple of Xanax and a shot of Jameson and you're golden. Slept like a baby through the whole thing.
      IAFF

Comment

I am sure I am going to get flamed --- but not every one is suited for the job.
        ?

Comment

slackjawedjokel,

I hope you don't get "flamed" because I know you don't mean ill will. But what is truely madening in that I can do the job and with no problem but for some odd reason the training makes me really uncomfortable and I didn't know if anyone had any experience or advice for working though this type of experience.
          As I stated before, I was on a dept. for around 6 years but working for a city with more medical related trainings is my cause for concern...

Comment

Now you have me confused ---is it just the training aspect ?-- or the actual medical calls also? If you can handle the actual blood and guts (and puke-my favorite) - but the class room is the problem --- that just sounds like a "minor quirk" that can be talked through. On a medical call - the carnage doesnt bother me because I have a job to do and am focused on my job. Try and apply the same mindset to the class room.
            ?

Comment

What part of the training bothers you??
              Omnes domum redeunt

Comment

just the classroom/talking about it! I do just fine on calls...several where I had no problem (bleeding, severe trauma, etc)...

Comment

If you want it bad enough, you will find a way to deal with it. If not, then it just isn't for you. I agree, not everyone is cut out to do this job. No harm no foul and no offense but some people are just better at things than others.

Maybe make a career out of something you love to do or make a hobby a career.
                  Jason Knecht
                  Firefighter/EMT
                  Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                  Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                  http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                  EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

Originally posted by WildFED View Post
                    just the classroom/talking about it! I do just fine on calls...several where I had no problem (bleeding, severe trauma, etc)...
                    I'm the same way. A few weeks ago, one of the guys working on his paramedic wanted to practice looking for veins. Not doing anything. Just taking my arm and saying "look, there's a vein". I almost passed out from him pointing at my own vein. When we had to watch a video about hemophilia in school... splat. Needles and anything else that pokes and bleeds on a video or in simulation and I'm CTD. No explanation, I don't know why. I look the other way and whine when I have to get a shot.

But, you could get run over with an out of control lawnmower and I will be fine. Nothing bothers me in real life. And hey, look at me. I turned out FINE!
                    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire View Post
                      And hey, look at me. I turned out FINE!
                      Don't scare the poor guy!

How does this training phobia manifest? Do you vomit?
                      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
                        I was able to outsmart my EMS classroom phobia by taping actual pictures of my open eyes inside my Coke bottle glasses. Knock back a couple of Xanax and a shot of Jameson and you're golden. Slept like a baby through the whole thing.
                        Wow, that is too descriptive to not be true.

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
                          Proving that EMS really does means, "Earn Money Sleeping".
                          I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Have you actually been diagnosed?
                            Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

Drinking a 5th of Jack Daniels helps me get through the day.

Seriously, you should maybe see a doctor and get some good drugs!
                              Jason Knecht
                              Firefighter/EMT
                              Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                              Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                              http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                              EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse