Personal Axe for truck belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
    I don't know what testing process he used to determine the "plastic" handled axe was superior. But once again I can tell you I have seen several broken wooden handles over the course of my career and I have NEVER seen a broken plastic handled axe.

You can use whatever you choose, it doesn't affect me in the least. I will trust MY Captain who has years invested in learning about and then training our entire fire department on bail out and self rescue techniques.
    Yes, I understand that. You just made it sound like you had all this rock hard, research based evidence to prove your point.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
      Yes, I understand that. You just made it sound like you had all this rock hard, research based evidence to prove your point.
      He proved that his Captain IS the most interesting man alive. Stay thirsty my friends.
      IAFF

Comment

I will ask him on my next work day what criteria he used to determine that the plastic handled axe was a better choice than a wood handled axe. I apologize for not having that data at my disposal. But then again I am not claiming to be an expert on bail out and self rescue. I and many in our area, and beyond, do consider him an expert.

And the proper color for the handle is YELLOW. GEEZ, everyone knows that!!
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I carry a Pry-Axe. Gives a few options for it's use. No, I would not substitute a pry-axe for a regular axe when chopping through a roof...but carrying inside and using....yup.
          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

My Axe...

My Department has the Fire Axe on our Truck Company. We carry both the 36" and the 32" handles. I am 6' 2" without boots, and I am guessing about 6' 5" or so in Turnout Boots so the 36" works well for me. We have leather sheaths for all of our axes.

The times I have used it, it has worked flawlessly... And yes, it goes inside with me.

The decision on FyredUp's Captain may be from the safety rating of a fiberglass handle. Fire Axe Inc. is listing their fiberglass handle as having a 1,200 lb. rating. Using simple math, that is at least a safety margin of 3:1 at a minimum. Much like we use in Swiftwater Rescue Operations. In my case, that is a safety factor of 4:1; that seems pretty safe.

I'm not jumping into the debate, just posting a fact I found. If the wood handle is placed flat against the anchor I could see it "possibly" failing. If it is placed with the rounded area against the anchor then i could see it being more secure. Similar to a 2x4; use it flat and the load rating is a couple hundred lbs. but if you stand it up the capability increases to half a ton or so. Maintain your tools and they are less likely to fail anyways.....
            Last edited by mikeyboy; 12-08-2010, 01:21 PM. Reason: it's fail, not fair... lol.
            "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X