Personal Axe for truck belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
    My advice is to avoid the wooden handled axe and buy a "plastic" handled axe. The plastic handled axe can be used as an anchor for a bailout kit by being shoved into the wall. A wooden handled axe should NOT be used for that.
    I would put my life on my wooden axe with complete trust. These things aren't toothpicks. If you care for your axe it will care for you. Would you not climb a wooden ladder? Why not make those of plastic if it is stronger?

Comment

Originally posted by BKDRAFT View Post
      Your reasoning why you wouldn't carry one doesn't fly with me.

Weight you down? Are you serious. Hit the gym.
      Snag point? Hardly.

If your not carrying a personal tool for forcible exit you should rethink your operations.
      Dude take a pill, they were just my opinions. I carry a tool at every call its prudent to do so, I'm not asking why people carry tools in general. Just why someone would purchase and carry their own all the time. When the dept carries the same equipment on the apparatus we take to the calls we would use said equipment on. And yeah it would be a snag point, ever run through the entanglement drill before? I had wires caught in places I didn't even think existed. That axe on your belt could snag you up.

So, I'm sorry if my opinion and the way I do things offends you in some way. I was just curious as to why other people did things different. Maybe learn a thing or two about the differences within our own nations fire service. Who knows, maybe I could have come away from this discussion with some new information that would lead me to make a change in the way I do things. Give carrying a personal axe a try.

And if your honestly THAT stuck in your own ways to judge me about mine? Maybe it should be you rethinking how you conduct your own operations. Adapt and overcome, they are words to live by my friend.
      Last edited by EngineCO38; 12-05-2010, 07:57 PM.
      Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDRAFT View Post
        I would put my life on my wooden axe with complete trust. These things aren't toothpicks. If you care for your axe it will care for you. Would you not climb a wooden ladder? Why not make those of plastic if it is stronger?
        Dude, I couldn't care less if you want to hang your bail out kit on a wooden handled axe that is your choice. My opinion is based on research done by my Captain who runs the training in my career FD on personal escape systems and bail out procedures. I have NEVER seen a broken handle on a "plastic" axe, I have seen plenty on wooden handled axes.

If you want to make ludicrous comparisons...steel is far stronger than aluminum, let's make our ground ladders out of that instead of aluminum. I have climbed wooden ladders and given the choice I will take an aluminum ladder over a wooden one every single time. By the way, they do make fire ladders out of fiberglass...
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I have to agree...I wouldn't have a problem with going out a window with a wooden handled axe. If the correct technique is used, the handle shouldnt have much stress applied to it anyway.
          Career Firefighter
          Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
          I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
            I have to agree...I wouldn't have a problem with going out a window with a wooden handled axe. If the correct technique is used, the handle shouldnt have much stress applied to it anyway.
            And again, if that is what YOU want to do it makes absolutely no difference to me at all.

My usage of the the "plastic" handled axe is based on research and testing by my Captain, not anecdotal evidence.
            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

What color should the axe be?

We all know that Blue Fire Engines work better than Red, as does Yellow, but slime lime engines don't work as well as red. Does this transfer to tools also?

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                What color should the axe be?

We all know that Blue Fire Engines work better than Red, as does Yellow, but slime lime engines don't work as well as red. Does this transfer to tools also?
                Haha, I see watcha did there
                Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Comment

If I had to spend the money on this kind of tool for personal use, I would go with an 8 lb. TNT tool. More so if your department doesn't carry them on the trucks.
                  Is this the tool you're talking about, or are you talking about something else? http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr..._purpose_tool/
                  -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

I carried a crash axe on a belt for years.

Came in handy more than once.
                    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                      And again, if that is what YOU want to do it makes absolutely no difference to me at all.

My usage of the the "plastic" handled axe is based on research and testing by my Captain, not anecdotal evidence.
                      Did he break a wooden handled axe while using one as a bailout anchor?
                      Career Firefighter
                      Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
                        Is this the tool you're talking about, or are you talking about something else? http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr..._purpose_tool/
                        Correct, that's the one.
                        Career Firefighter
                        Volunteer Captain

Comment

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-13-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Did he break a wooden handled axe while using one as a bailout anchor?
                            I don't know what testing process he used to determine the "plastic" handled axe was superior. But once again I can tell you I have seen several broken wooden handles over the course of my career and I have NEVER seen a broken plastic handled axe.

You can use whatever you choose, it doesn't affect me in the least. I will trust MY Captain who has years invested in learning about and then training our entire fire department on bail out and self rescue techniques.
                            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

I've seen both broken wood axe handles and plastic ones with a 90deg bend in it. Ball bearings are not even firefighter proof.
                              IAFF

Comment

With my department we can choose whatever tool we want going in. I bought two of my own tools; the flat head, 8lb Fire Axe, as well as a FireMaxx. Generally on the small residential fires we get, I go in with my FireMaxx and leave the Fire Axe in the truck. I have the FireMaxx and a sheath and wear it on its own tactical belt. Works well.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X