Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal Axe for truck belt

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Personal Axe for truck belt

    So I'm debating buying a personal axe. And I've of course found Fire Axe Inc and want one.

    But I can't decide which one I want/need/would be best...and I can't decide how I want to holster it...swivel clip to SCBA or clip to truck belt? And do I want to buy the expensive scabbard that fully covers the head of the axe or can I put it in the "holster" that exposes the pick and blade?

    My situation...I don't work on a "truck" company. I work with a small department that utilizes the engine/ambulance crews to fill whatever roles/jobs we need filled at the time. So I don't have an assigned set of "irons" for me to just grab. And when I'm assigned to the nozzle just stuffing an axe in to my scba belt isn't working due to the size/length of the ones we carry.

    So here is my question. If you were me...a career firefighter...who gets maybe a fire and a half a month...who usually goes in with a hose...but worries about getting stuck inside in need of tool...
    Which type of axe would you buy?

    Pick or Flat Head?
    The 6lb or 8lb or for the pick what about the JP Spec 4lb?
    Do you put it in a scabbard or expose the pick/head?
    Do you get a truck belt or just clip it to your SCBA?
    Why?

    Thanks for your opinions

  • #2
    On my career FD we are required to carry a pickhead axe on every fire alarm investigation or working structure fire. The only exception is if you are assigned the irons you do not have to carry a pickhead axe.

    The pickhead axe is part of our bailout escape system in that it is used as the anchor point.

    The majority simply stick the axe under their GutBelt. The Gut Belt is assigned to each riding position and is also part of our bailout escape system. A few of us own our own gut belts and some have attached tool pouches for things like knives and multi-tools and a very few have attached sheaths for axes. I am a short guy and with a sheath the axe sits too low and is always banging on steps and such so I just stuff it in the gut belt.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

    Comment


    • #3
      28" Pick Head in a fully covered scabbard. That scabbard has a 360 degree swivel which will not get hung up and pull off your belt like the ones that clip to your scba. Picks are more versatile for a personal axe.

      Comment


      • #4
        I carry a 28 inch 6 pound pick-head in a swivel case that covers both the blade and pick attached to my gut belt.

        Comment


        • #5
          +1 pickhead
          Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

          Comment


          • #6
            What does the department issue?
            "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
            sigpic
            The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

            Comment


            • #7
              ...

              Department doens't issue anything...they stock 33" flat and picks on the engines...but I'm usually riding on the box. So we're pulling up...I'm bunking out and then they're sending us in...which kinda leads to many firefighters...with not so many axes...not saying they send us in without tools...but that I like the axe...it's versitle...and sometimes I don't get to grab one...or worse get assigned to something...then switched...and in the process don't have time to grab one...my solution therefore is to just get my own...carry it with my gear...and rock and roll from there.

              Thanks to everyone for the advice...I'm adding a 6lb pick, with a 28" wood handle to my xmas list...now if only I could decide on the full scabbard...the new colorado belt...or the cheap open holder I can clip to my pack...

              hmmmm....so many decisions...

              Comment


              • #8
                Alright this may be a REALLY stupid question but...Why the hell would anyone need a personal axe when the big red (Or green/Yellow) trucks we ride carry about 5 a piece? Hell I just got done installing tool mounts and brackets on our new ladder and we mounted 6 on the damn thing, not mention 2 Halligans, numerous pike poles, closet hooks and our very first NY hook.....Oh and two sledge hammers. I think I'm missing something, but thats besides the point.

                So my question is, why carry your own personal axe that will weigh you down, add something MORE to our already ridiculous compliment of gear we carry. And just make another snag point for god knows what when crawling around in a burning building. When we have x number of the exact same tool on every truck we take to a fire?

                I just don't see the need, but maybe someone can enlighten me.

                EDIT - And the answer "I don't have time to get one" Doesn't fly with me, there is ALWAYS time to get a tool from the numerous vehicles on scene.
                Last edited by EngineCO38; 12-04-2010, 10:20 PM.
                Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bradenframe View Post
                  Department doens't issue anything...they stock 33" flat and picks on the engines...but I'm usually riding on the box. So we're pulling up...I'm bunking out and then they're sending us in...which kinda leads to many firefighters...with not so many axes...not saying they send us in without tools...but that I like the axe...it's versitle...and sometimes I don't get to grab one...or worse get assigned to something...then switched...and in the process don't have time to grab one...my solution therefore is to just get my own...carry it with my gear...and rock and roll from there.

                  Thanks to everyone for the advice...I'm adding a 6lb pick, with a 28" wood handle to my xmas list...now if only I could decide on the full scabbard...the new colorado belt...or the cheap open holder I can clip to my pack...

                  hmmmm....so many decisions...
                  My advice is to avoid the wooden handled axe and buy a "plastic" handled axe. The plastic handled axe can be used as an anchor for a bailout kit by being shoved into the wall. A wooden handled axe should NOT be used for that.
                  Crazy, but that's how it goes
                  Millions of people living as foes
                  Maybe it's not too late
                  To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If I had to spend the money on this kind of tool for personal use, I would go with an 8 lb. TNT tool. More so if your department doesn't carry them on the trucks.
                    Career Firefighter
                    Volunteer Captain

                    -Professional in Either Role-

                    Originally posted by Rescue101
                    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I had a Paratech Pry Axe. Great Tool had a sheath I had made for it so i could hook it to my scba belt. The price on these are cost prohibitive for most to buy. But they are better built then the Biel and Buster tool's, it's little brothers. I had a Biel tool, it wasn't heavy enough for my taste and the tube ripped on the side from heavy use. I had it welded and replaced it with the Pry axe. I have since "lost it" borrowed by I belive by a former member. I am considering the T-N-T tool model 630 for peronal use.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well............

                        Originally posted by EngineCO38 View Post
                        Alright this may be a REALLY stupid question but...Why the hell would anyone need a personal axe when the big red (Or green/Yellow) trucks we ride carry about 5 a piece? Hell I just got done installing tool mounts and brackets on our new ladder and we mounted 6 on the damn thing, not mention 2 Halligans, numerous pike poles, closet hooks and our very first NY hook.....Oh and two sledge hammers. I think I'm missing something, but thats besides the point.

                        So my question is, why carry your own personal axe that will weigh you down, add something MORE to our already ridiculous compliment of gear we carry. And just make another snag point for god knows what when crawling around in a burning building. When we have x number of the exact same tool on every truck we take to a fire?

                        I just don't see the need, but maybe someone can enlighten me.


                        EDIT - And the answer "I don't have time to get one" Doesn't fly with me, there is ALWAYS time to get a tool from the numerous vehicles on scene.

                        Every other FD out there is not like yours and mine. You may get two Engines on a Structure Fire, and those Engines very well might only be equipped to NFPA Basic standard items like 2 Axes and a Hook......... Saw this just last week in a rural part of my State. It's nice to have a LOT of Tools (We Do!) but there are those who don't.............
                        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                        In memory of
                        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

                        IACOJ Budget Analyst

                        I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

                        www.gdvfd18.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                          Every other FD out there is not like yours and mine. You may get two Engines on a Structure Fire, and those Engines very well might only be equipped to NFPA Basic standard items like 2 Axes and a Hook......... Saw this just last week in a rural part of my State. It's nice to have a LOT of Tools (We Do!) but there are those who don't.............
                          Fair enough, even though it does seem kinda silly to not equip your truck with enough tools for everyone and more. I suppose this day and age with Departments cutting back spending, that you may find an engine with only 2 axes.
                          Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by EngineCO38 View Post
                            Fair enough, even though it does seem kinda silly to not equip your truck with enough tools for everyone and more. I suppose this day and age with Departments cutting back spending, that you may find an engine with only 2 axes.
                            There are many departments that are doing good to put fuel in the trucks and pay insurance. I willing to bet you would not have to travel to far to find one. Buying extra axes is not to high on their list.

                            To answer you first question about why would someone buy their own, I can only answer for me. I bought a personal axe because I wanted to carry one on my gut belt, I was tired of packing one around and not having a good place to carry it, I was tired of sitting down an axe and someone else packing it off because they was to lazy to get their own off the truck and some other reasons as well.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by EngineCO38 View Post
                              Alright this may be a REALLY stupid question but...Why the hell would anyone need a personal axe when the big red (Or green/Yellow) trucks we ride carry about 5 a piece? Hell I just got done installing tool mounts and brackets on our new ladder and we mounted 6 on the damn thing, not mention 2 Halligans, numerous pike poles, closet hooks and our very first NY hook.....Oh and two sledge hammers. I think I'm missing something, but thats besides the point.

                              So my question is, why carry your own personal axe that will weigh you down, add something MORE to our already ridiculous compliment of gear we carry. And just make another snag point for god knows what when crawling around in a burning building. When we have x number of the exact same tool on every truck we take to a fire?

                              I just don't see the need, but maybe someone can enlighten me.

                              EDIT - And the answer "I don't have time to get one" Doesn't fly with me, there is ALWAYS time to get a tool from the numerous vehicles on scene.

                              Your reasoning why you wouldn't carry one doesn't fly with me.

                              Weight you down? Are you serious. Hit the gym.
                              Snag point? Hardly.

                              If your not carrying a personal tool for forcible exit you should rethink your operations.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X