yellow fire hydrants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yellow fire hydrants

I know hydrants are colored based on their flow rating: blue, green, orange and red. I've noticed, however, that many in my area are just straight yellow. Is there a gpm rating for yellow, or am I just rolling the dice on the flow from a yellow hydrant?

In our township all the hydrants are yellow, some have blue caps on the 2 1/2 ports, but most don't. Most are NST, but a good number are an older ' model ' with connections called jones snap. The flow varies from hydrant to hydrant. Some have very good flow, many do not.

Comment

All of our hydrants are yellow bodied. Discharge caps are either yellow or red. The difference in gpm flow per hydrant is indicated by the color of the top. Green, red, blue and orange are our colors. I don't seem to remember if there is a yellow top or not. I don't think so.

You should be able to contact your water source for your information needs. If your dept. has a Technical Service Bureau, they should have that information.

FM1
      Last edited by FIREMECH1; 11-24-2010, 03:46 AM.
      I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
      "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

From http://firehydrant.org/info/hycolor.html

Yellow body may indicate a private hydrant connected to a public main.

We are beyond goofy, according to NFPA. We have orange "low pressure" hydrants (up to about 70 psi), and the bonnet is color coded for the size of the main feeding it; orange, green, red in INcreasing size - opposite NFPA. Supposedly there is also black to indicate a dead hydrant, but I've never seen it. We also have a red "high pressure" hydrant system that is abandoned in place.

Surrounding communities I have seen every color under the rainbow; silver, white, red, yellow, blue, red/white/blue, etc.
        Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Comment

Hydrant colors vary with the community..

Ours are silver barels with orange caps, a neighboring community had red barrels/yellow caps, another has blue barrels/white caps...

We do not maintain hydrants.. that comes under the auspices of the Water divisdion of the Department of Public Works.
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

About the only consistent thing about the colors of hydrants seems to be that there is no consistancy. I've seen them brown, green (with black 'trim'), yellow, red, and some places have had contests to see who can do the most imaginative job of decorating a hydrant.

I think Detroit's high pressure system had silver hydrants.

When I refurbed a training simulator here (basically an HO village on which you can run scenarios) I installed hydrants properly marked for some logical flows based on location. I'm not sure that all that many people who use the simulator even notice the different colored caps.
            Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

My community actually does have yellow barreled hydrants with the appropriate color top for what the hydrant was when first installed and tested. We do hydrant tests every year and with growth and additions and such some might have actually changed in range from when first installed but we just note the color of the top and the flow we receive. I do not recall ever seeing a yellow top unless that indicates a hydrant that has not been tested yet and received its color coding.

Comment

All our hydrants are red barreled. Red tops means low flow, yellow top means "medium", and green means highest flow. These codings are based solely on the main size that is feeding them.

Comment

Yellow in this area indicates a county flush hydrant rather than a municipal supply hydrant. The county system operates on a lower flow and less aggressive line system here. Hooking up to a county line might (substitute will) lead to a broken line because the flow is so darn low that some jack wagon driver/op will pull a vacuum and collapse a main, or two, or three...Yeh, sometimes it is that bad. This is why we bring our own water..
                  A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Comment

Ours are silver barreled with red tops being 250 gpm to 500, yellow top, 501 to 750, and green top 751 to 1500 gpm. We maintain the hydrants in the city, getting paid by the water department to do them twice annually. Winter is dry season(we don't flow) and summer is wet season(flow). We also exercise the street valves in the summer.
                    IAFF

Comment

Well where I'm at the hydrants have gray barrels, green tops. If I read the definition right, the hydrant outside my house is recommended for residental areas. That's of course if the water main isn't leaking somewhere in the county then we better bring along the tanker.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian1147 View Post
                        I know hydrants are colored based on their flow rating: blue, green, orange and red. I've noticed, however, that many in my area are just straight yellow. Is there a gpm rating for yellow, or am I just rolling the dice on the flow from a yellow hydrant?
                        Check with who maintains your water system to see what the flows might be.

We are now having a few all yellow. Problem found was at night from the cab that it was hard to tell the difference between the orange (barely usable) and the red (find another one) hydrants. Other than that we follow the NFPA guideline for colors.

Private hydrants have red barrels and the same NFPA cap colors.

Before the changes our hydrants were Kentucky Blue with white caps.

Comment

Originally posted by lexfd5 View Post
                          We are now having a few all yellow. Problem found was at night from the cab that it was hard to tell the difference between the orange (barely usable) and the red (find another one) hydrants. Other than that we follow the NFPA guideline for colors.

Private hydrants have red barrels and the same NFPA cap colors.
                          Same here.... I think that's the NFPA standard, right?

Yellow barrel is municipal
                          Red is Private

Cap color represents flow rates.
                          I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

all ours are painted yellow. There may or may not be some indication of flow rate. That seems to be pretty standard for Monroe County and the surrounding counties.

Rochester, NY has a dedicated fire service water system. There's are yellow with white tops. Don't know what they flow, but I assume its a lot since its only for fire service use.
                            Last edited by nameless; 11-24-2010, 09:00 PM.

Comment

All of our hydrants are yellow. I thought they painted them that way to match our trucks!
                              Stay Safe
                              Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
                              - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
                              -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X