No announcement yet.

Fire Station, Fire House, Fire Hall ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Station, Fire House, Fire Hall ???

What do you refer to your "place" as ? The firehouse, fire station or fire hall ? Hear it called all three in different places.....just wondering what term you use and if one term is more common in certain areas of the country ?

Around here it is station (Midwest). I think its like pop, soda, and "coke", just different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CGITCH View Post
        Around here it is station (Midwest). I think its like pop, soda, and "coke", just different strokes for different folks.
        I thought around you they call them "Fire Halls"...

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDave View Post
          Station to people out side the service and house inside. Not sure why but do.
          That's strange. I always call them "stations" while my non-firefighting family calls them "Fire Houses"...

Comment

Station. It just doesn't give off that "firehouse" vibe, so it's the fire station.
            "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

Yes.

As an aside - we have a separate building we use for fundraising, renting out, etc. When it first opened it was the "Firemen's Hall." That became politically incorrect eventually, so it was shortened to "Fire Hall."

We've found, however, that some people won't have their event (especially wedding receptions) in a "Fire Hall." Not sure why, maybe it's that 'white trash' association.

Never mind that it's the equal of most facilities where people would have such events, even better than some.

So whenever I publicize an event, I use the term "Social Hall."

So's not to confuse the building with the fire barn...
              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Firehouses.

Also, we refer to specific stations with the company number...."I got detailed to 50's last night."

"We covered up at 25's."

"We have to get fuel over at 3 Truck."
                "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FireRescue61 View Post
                  I thought around you they call them "Fire Halls"...
                  Nope...house gets used more than hall. I sometimes refer to career department "places of apparatus storage and bunking facilities" as houses. No hall is really used.

Comment

Depends on the person, place, time...

At work, it's the station. Never heard it called anything else.

At the VFD, "station" and "firehouse" are used interchangeably.
                    Career Fire Captain
                    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

semantics

Here in Idaho it's Fire Station...In Plains, Montana where I was there on a Wildland Fire they call them Fire Halls. They are all Volunteer and the term "Fire Hall" reflects a term as they use it as a meeting hall also.
                      Respectfully,
                      Jay Dudley
                      Retired Fire
                      Background Investigator
                      IACOJ-Member
                      Lifetime Member CSFA
                      IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

some of people still call it the fire garage..........
                        IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                        Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                        ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                        RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                        LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                        I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                        "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                        http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Back where I came from some of the guys called it station 1, station 2, etc., some of us, myself included, called it 1 house, 2 house, etc. Don't recall anyone ever calling any of them fire hall though.

Comment

Offically we use the company name.

ex. when answering the phone. We say Good Morrning Quint 21.

To the guys we use the number.

ex. I worked over at 23 the other day. or I got transffered to 5 last day.

Other than that I use firehouse. Stations are were buses and train load and unload people.

Comment

"ENGINGE HOUSE"....or "The 1's, The 2's........The 28's...etc"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X