Charleston FD; Training Chief Quits "Under Duress"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    Actually, some of the comments in the Post and Courier indicate that the 20 week recruit school wasn't turning out highly skilled, professional firefighters. One of the posters stated that one recruit only pulled a handline once during his 20 weeks and another only participated in a hydrant drill one time. The poster stated that they provided testimony to this fact to the Fire Chief.

They did run a 50 man recruit school. That is a large class for a department that didn't have recruit schools up until only a few years ago. Maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe I'll call a few buddies down there. I'm sure there is much more to this story.
    We experienced this problem, until someone proposed splitting the recruit school. While some are dragging hose, others are (insert another task here). Definitely exposes the probies to more hands on time, just have to have the manpower at the Academy. We didn't, until they "temporary detailed" some members from the line to help. Sucked to do it, but all other options were exhausted.

Hate to see this happen in Charleston, and now with Chief Carr sick who knows how long he'll stick around.

Comment

Question??........

Originally posted by Jonnee View Post
      Fire Chief Thomas Carr came from Maryland where he was a top notch member and Chief Officer. I can't believe that he would have messed with Jimmy Ghi as it has been reported. He should have been more supportive.

Jimmy Ghi was a top notch Chief Officer in Fairfax County, VA. He was well liked and most everyone hated to see him leave.

It could well be that the members in Charleston got the old red arz when their old Chief hired Ghi as the new Training Chief, instead of making one of the boys the new training chief.

Sometimes bringing in an outsider works very well and then there are the times that it don't. Both Ghi and Carr are very knowledgeable in all aspects of Training. It should have been a seamless operation.

Tom will be stepping down soon as his health is not good.
      Jonnee - Did Jimmy take his Retirement from Fx?? With 30 years on, he should have had enough time in to be able to retire........ As far as I know, there isn't much difference between Fx and PG, I retired with 20.........
      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
      In memory of
      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

He had something like 26 - 27 years and retired to go there under the old chief before Tom took over.

Comment

Ok......

Thanks Bro, Cleared up a question..........
          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
          In memory of
          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X