Funeral Attire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funeral Attire

Just curious what everybody thinks about this. one of the younger members of the dept I am on, his father unexpectentally passed last night. We are a combination dept (Full time and Part Time/Paid), and him and I are both part time/paid. There is a small group of us that are very close, and last night, after we left the hospital, the discussion came up about wearing our "Class As" to the funeral. The one friend, who is Sergent, said that wearing our Class As would be appropriate to show support to our brother who is in mourning. I had the thought that usually when people are in uniform, it tends to distract from the reason for being there. The Sergent said that he would check with our Captain (right now we don't have an acting Chief), but he didn't see an issue with it.
    Thoughts / opinions?

A nice dark suit would be fine.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

That is what I was planning on, but like I said, the Sergent said that he thought we should wear our "Class" As" Which is why I asked. I know our dept doesn't have a policy regulating that, and I guess I was kinda wondering if anybody dept did, for non-member funerals.

Comment

If you are attending as a group representing the department, showing solidarity in supporting him in the time of his mourning, there is nothing wrong with your class "A" dress uniform.
        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Attending a funeral for a non-member is not a traditional Class-A situation, unless the family specifically requests a fire department presence. This is common in the case of elected officials, dignitaries or a friend of the department, as in the case of a major supporter.

The Class-A should only be worn in the Line of Duty, and Department related occasions. If the funeral requires the fire department, then the Fire Department should be in attendance.

You are correct to assume that firefighters in Dress Uniforms would be distracting.

I attended the funeral of a retired Chief several years ago. His final request was that his 'boys' attend the funeral in blue jeans and t-shirts. He did not wish to be remembered as a firefighter, but only as a friend. He wanted everyone to be theirselves and comfortable. No bagpipes, no last ride, no bells. I miss the guy... he had a lot of class.

Wear a suit sir.
          HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
            Attending a funeral for a non-member is not a traditional Class-A situation, unless the family specifically requests a fire department presence. This is common in the case of elected officials, dignitaries or a friend of the department, as in the case of a major supporter.

The Class-A should only be worn in the Line of Duty, and Department related occasions. If the funeral requires the fire department, then the Fire Department should be in attendance.

You are correct to assume that firefighters in Dress Uniforms would be distracting.

I attended the funeral of a retired Chief several years ago. His final request was that his 'boys' attend the funeral in blue jeans and t-shirts. He did not wish to be remembered as a firefighter, but only as a friend. He wanted everyone to be theirselves and comfortable. No bagpipes, no last ride, no bells. I miss the guy... he had a lot of class.

Wear a suit sir.
            Yes... unless you are desperate for attention.
            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

a suit will do just fine. remember you are there to support your brother ff and his family. being there and showing compassion for your brother and his family, makes the biggest impresssion.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Unless the family requests dress uniforms, wear a suit.
                  My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Comment

Frankly, I think the wearing of the Class A Uniform would be a show of support for a member of the fire department who lost his father. Anyone that knows the son knows he is a firefighter and shouldn't be surprised or distracted by a fire department presence.

I find it a wonderful example of the BROTHERHOOD we all speak of that members of his FD want to do that for him.
                    Crazy, but that's how it goes
                    Millions of people living as foes
                    Maybe it's not too late
                    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                      Frankly, I think the wearing of the Class A Uniform would be a show of support for a member of the fire department who lost his father. Anyone that knows the son knows he is a firefighter and shouldn't be surprised or distracted by a fire department presence.

I find it a wonderful example of the BROTHERHOOD we all speak of that members of his FD want to do that for him.
                      What you wear doesn't define your brotherhood. Merely attending is all that is required and usually expected.

Comment

I understand the reasons given to not wear a uniform. However, I have a question about that. I have an 82-y/o uncle and although I hope I don't need to know the answer to this anytime soon, I have to recognize it's a not-indistinct possibility. My uncle was a Navy corpsman during the Korean war. He was never part of any civilian emergency services agency, but his history, and some other specific things, were very inspirational to me in getting me going in this direction. It's largely because of him that I decided to get into EMS, and thereby am a member of a volunteer fire department. All that considered, would it still be inappropriate for me to wear the dress uniform at his funeral (which, again, hopefully won't be for quite awhile)?
                        -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                          What you wear doesn't define your brotherhood. Merely attending is all that is required and usually expected.
                          Then what's the big deal if they want to wear their Class A's?

What is the major sin they would be committing if they wore them? They want to do it for the son...
                          Crazy, but that's how it goes
                          Millions of people living as foes
                          Maybe it's not too late
                          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                            Then what's the big deal if they want to wear their Class A's?
                            I think that it shifts focus from the deceased and their family to the person in the uniform.

Its one thing if you were part of a group coming in uniform for a firefighter service, its another to go to a layperson's funeral in uniform.

Look, its not a "big deal". He asked for an opinion, it has been given.

Comment

Gentlemen..............

I am of the opinion that this may be another of those things where there are different customs in different parts of the country. Around here, it's a common thing to see Public Safety Uniforms at a Funeral, even though the deceased may not have been a member of a Public Safety organization.......
                              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                              In memory of
                              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X