X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FWDbuff
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2003

This p i s s e s me off!!!!!!!!

Ok, so we have three or four threads about helmets in the last week. (On top of the 2,273,290 helmet threads since the inception of Firehouse.com) The combined reply count to these three or four threads is 100+

We have two threads posted about a Line of Duty Death, with three total replies.

Am I missing something here?

Am I wrong to be angry about that?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."
  • RFD21C
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2009

Or how about the fact that nobody has posted in the tactics section since the 10th!!!

But, we have four helmets thread going!!

Comment

• mtg55
      Forum Member
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by FWDbuff
      Ok, so we have three or four threads about helmets in the last week. (On top of the 2,273,290 helmet threads since the inception of Firehouse.com) The combined reply count to these three or four threads is 100+

We have two threads posted about a Line of Duty Death, with three total replies.

I was questioning the same thing earlier this morning. So sad.
      Matt G.
      Battalion Chief
      IACOJ-Member
      FTM-PTB

Comment

• nmfire
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2002

Dying sucks. Death is a crappy subject. Nobody wants to talk about it. I don't think it's a matter of "we care about helmets more than people". It's a matter of "what would you rather spend your Sunday afternoon discussing?"

With that said, LODD or not, these helmet threads are stupid.
        Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

• PaladinKnight
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2006

There are 6 topics discussing helmets...

I think you are right on target sir. Too many of these topics go way off base so guys can fill their own desires.

We could be paying more attention to the dangers of this job rather than what helmet is NFPA complaint or why is this other helmet not as good. I don't mind informational or educational topics, but it seems that we have gone way past that. Too many new guys are worrying about incidental crap before they have even gotten their first blister.

I am just as guilty FWD by not responding to the current LODD situation in SC. I was hoping to see an update this morning. While there are a few reports of the firefighters identies, there is no official release that I can find at this time.

My sincere condolences to the fallen firefighter's family and I pray the injured firefighter will recover.

This is what is important friends... it is the reality. Far too many of us have been injured or killed for common mistakes and stupid reasons. Despite the reduction in LODDs in the last few years, if there is one, it is too many.
          HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

• L-Webb
            Forum Member
            • May 2009

Or how about LIGHTS on a P.O.V.? That's my favorite
            Get the first line into operation.

Comment

• CaptOldTimer
              Forum Member
              • Jun 1999

This thread section is the first one being seen by a lot of newer folks as well as us older guys.

I suppose it is easier to open the first site you see, post whatever you like there and never go to any of the others subjects.

Yes LODD in this business is a shame but there are a lot of guys who choose to ignore and beat a horse to death of something else.
              Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

• hwoods
                63 Years & Still Rolling
                • Jun 2002

That Too..........

I'm with you guys....... And, I guess I'm another one who only reads the "Front Page".... Despite my Seniority here, there are areas that I have never posted in, and probably never will..... Do I care more about Helmets than those who wear Helmets?? Absolutely not. But, I'm kind of a mixed bag when it comes to what interests me and what doesn't, both in and out of the Fire/Rescue field. And I think that's a fairly common thing among literate people in this world.........

OK, I went back and looked at the numbers.... There's 522 people on here now. Firefighting, Jobs, and Off Duty Threads account for well over half of those viewers.

There are Nine areas without a post since before Oct. 1, and a few haven't had a post in this year at all........ An interesting side note: There is a 2 page thread in "Entertainment" that deals with Helmets"!! Specifically the Helmets worn on the old TV Show "Emergency".........
                Last edited by hwoods; 11-14-2010, 06:00 PM. Reason: Add Stuff............
                Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                In memory of
                Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

• MemphisE34a
                  Forum Member
                  • Jan 2004

FWD,

There are too many helmet threads. I don't mind people asking or talking about helmets if that's what they are into, but it seems they could do it in the same thread, not 6 different ones.

Maybe we need a helmet discussion area on the board?

As far as LODD's go. It's better now - I would rather people not comment at all then offer their uninformed opinion on what someone should or should not have done as was very popular in days of past.
                  RK
                  cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

• Jonnee
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2005

I have to agree too. Helmet threads galore, lights in POV's galore, turnout gear galore and yeah boots galore. Now several resurrected foam threads.

If a thread has started on something, title, subject, why not keep all the chat in those threads. We don't need 10 thread on helmets, another bunch on glove and still some on boots.

I think what it comes down and amounts to, these wannabes, emts, juniors gets their cookies off by starting a thread, that even the horse died on the others long ago.

Comment

• auxman
                      Forum Member
                      • Apr 2009

Just what is there to say about some of the LODD posts that would generate a whole lot of discussion?

Comment

• tree68
                        MembersZone Subscriber
                        • Aug 2003

I'd rather see an LODD/injury thread short - with just the facts and findings, if you will, than pages and pages of "me too" "sorry for the loss" posts. Not that we don't feel the loss (and no disrepect to our lost brothers), but if we're going to learn something from what happened, we don't need to have to pick it out of 17 pages...

I was just thinking that we need a "helmet" topic myself. Not only could anyone with a helmet question comment post there, but the administrators could move any thread started elsewhere over that that topic. The same would work for warning lights, bunkers, etc. And since they'd all be concentrated in one place, we wouldn't have to deal with someone not seeing the last helmet thread because it was buried four pages back.

Maybe a PPE topic with helmet, boot, and bunker sub-topics. We'll still have to point newbies over to it, but at least we won't see multiple topics on the "main" board.

Hows about it, admins?
                        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

• RFDACM02
                          MembersZone Subscriber
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by RFD21C
                          Or how about the fact that nobody has posted in the tactics section since the 10th!!!

But, we have four helmets thread going!!
                          I gotta agree here. The helmet crap is silly, but the LODD issue is not really one a lot of people see a way to constructively post. Condolences are almost obligatory, and one would hope it is known that most of us feel a loss every time a member gives his/her life.

I for one think the Tactics area never should have moved, as Harve said, this main area gets the most attention. In my mind the tactics threads tended to generate some of the the best posts, albeit somewhat adversarial at times.

Comment

• Jonnee
                            Forum Member
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by auxman
                            Just what is there to say about some of the LODD posts that would generate a whole lot of discussion?

In the past on some LODD, some posters would bash the FD for letting the members[s] get into trouble or inside a burning structure and become a LODD.

Some would have you believe and have posted that they stay in the yard if no one is in a house so they might become a victim. One said he would allow his wife and family to perish before he would put himself in jeopardy of being injured or killed by trying to save them.

Still other challenge fd's for taking a active approach in any type of aggressive firefighting.

Comment

• cheffie
                              Forum Member
                              • Nov 2009

Even those of us who are not firefighers wonder why there are so many threads on helmets.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...