Another Helmet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Helmet Question

Since this forum seems to be going on a helmet tangent lately I figure I might as well ask a question I have been wondering since its just about time for a new lid. I wear a N5A cairns currently and do so cause I like the feel of the liner, its lack of stuff that gets in the way and because I can't stand the ratchet suspension on my neck. Without getting into a ****ing match and just looking for some information does anyone know of another helmet that his those qualities above. Looking for options since the leathers are a bit on the expensive and heavy side. Thanks

Wear what your department issues.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Six out of the fifteen most current topics are discussing helmets. Everything you could ever want to know about helmets has been discussed this week. Everyone has an opinion.

My opinion is try the Bullard UST, Cairnes 1010, Morning Pride Ben II or a Phenix TC1 if you want a composite traditional style.
      HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Originally posted by happyvalleyff View Post
        Since this forum seems to be going on a helmet tangent lately I figure I might as well ask a question I have been wondering since its just about time for a new lid. I wear a N5A cairns currently and do so cause I like the feel of the liner, its lack of stuff that gets in the way and because I can't stand the ratchet suspension on my neck. Without getting into a ****ing match and just looking for some information does anyone know of another helmet that his those qualities above. Looking for options since the leathers are a bit on the expensive and heavy side. Thanks

Do a search on helmets by using the search feature shown above the red line.

This will save youself a lot of grief as well.
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

I think the Phenix composit helmets can come with a nape strap so you don't have a Ratchet. Call phenix they will be glad to answer any questions and are supper nice.

Comment

phenix leather offers a non ratchet support system, not near as heavy as the new yorkers and sam houstons but still give you that leather quality. also very affordable.
            sigpicWhos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Comment

Thanks giweff and bginstructor27 for actually posting contructive comments and help.

Comment

I thought all comments were on target.

For maybe the last 9 months or so there has been several thread topics on helmets,

Comment

I guess I simply don't understand this.

Why is wearing the same helmet as the rest of the department such a problem?

After all, it's called a uniform for a reason.

Comment

Wearing department issue is not an issue except the department doesn't issue any for the most part. They use to and we still have some of those helmets laying around for new members, but so many people bought their own that as a department stopped buying them. Not trying to be smart just was looking for some honest imput.

Comment

Happy, it's just not you.

There have been countless others who have decided that the department issue isn't cool enough, or they simply don't like it, and decide to wander off in thier own direction in regards to helmets.

Call me old fashioned, but there is something in the fire service call uniformity, which sorta goes along with that whole teamwork thing. We look like a team and perform like a team. We want to be perceived as a team by the public and sorry, but 5 different styles of helmets on 15 firefighters from the same department does not, IMO, send that message. You may not think the public notices, but it's my opinion they do as I have been asked "Why is that guy's helmet different from your's" by more than one person.

NOw if your department doesn't buy and issue helmets, shame on them. Not only is it thier responsibility to do that, but it's also thier responsibility, IMO, to provide uniform PPE to provide the perception of uniformity to the public.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

In my county, even if every person wore the issued helmet, you would still see a bunch of different kinds of helmets. My county is a combined career/volunteer system and there are, I believe, seven different volunteer companies, plus the county itself, for a total of eight entities. Each volunteer company can choose its own helmet. Not only that, but from time to time, what any one entity is buying is subject to change due to prices, supply, and even the whim of whoever is responsible for choosing what to buy at that particular time. Some people have been around for a long time. So as I said, if each person took whatever helmet they get issued and wore only that, you'd still see a bunch of different helmets, even within one company, due to change over time, and older members using what was issued a long time ago, etc.
                        -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X