Firefighting Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefighting Question.

Ill start off with an introduction first.

Hello, My name is Cory, Born 9/11/95.

I am thinking about getting into firefighting, I am also a musician that is in and out of various local bands.

I just have a simple question.

Would I have to cut my hair?

Ive been told that I don't, and that I do have to cut it. Its half way down my back.

Please reply.

Cory.

Originally posted by The Cleansing Epidemic View Post

I am thinking about getting into firefighting, I am also a musician that is in and out of various local bands.

Ive been told that I don't, and that I do have to cut it. Its half way down my back.

Please reply.

Cory.

deleted, no response...................

Comment

For a career "gig", yes.

Volunteer, it may vary with the department, but i suspect for most, you would..
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Of course you will have to cut your hair. Was that a serious question?
        Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

Comment

Hair

I'll make it easy for you...yes!!! Next question.....
          Respectfully,
          Jay Dudley
          Retired Fire
          Background Investigator
          IACOJ-Member
          Lifetime Member CSFA
          IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

you'll have to get all of them cut

Comment

Please reply.

Cory.
              Here some sage advice from a Deputy Chief who played bass guitar and wanted to be a rock star...

Hair does not make the musician... chops do.

Think Joe Satriani....

You have a few years before you can think about getting on... and yes, you'll probably have to cut it.. although I know of a firefighter who is Native
              American and wears his hair in a braided ponytail...
              Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 11-11-2010, 09:29 AM.
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Kentucky and West Virginia State law allows all public servants the opportunity to have long hair, however, it must be a "Mullet" style cut.

So, you may want to start looking in those states. Take care,
                Pete

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpete View Post
                  Kentucky and West Virginia State law allows all public servants the opportunity to have long hair, however, it must be a "Mullet" style cut.

So, you may want to start looking in those states. Take care,
                  Pete
                  Thanks for that nice insult.
                  “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                  ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I don't think this is really that dumb of a question...

You may or may not have to cut it. For a career job, I'm going to say yes. For a volunteer position, it's going to be department dependent IMO. When I started (volunteer), I had hair that was down past my shoulders, and my department was fine with it. I went through most of my State fire classes with long hair, and attended a fire school twice with my long hair. We had another guy with shoulder length hair join a couple years after me. It's really going to be dependent on the department your on, IMO.

But, on that note, after about 2 years, having the long hair was just not worth it. It's a gigantic pain in the *** to try and cram a foot of hair into a mask, hood, and helmet. I really think you're going to find that if you want to be in the fire service, that you're going to end up cutting your hair.
                    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF View Post
                      Thanks for that nice insult.
                      Hey Man, I was just joking. I grew up in Ohio (your neighbor to the North) where Iroc-Z's and Lynyrd Skynyrd t-shirts were the norm, unless you were at a funeral, then it was acceptable to just wear a flannel.

So, just pulling some chains....
                      Take care
                      Pete

Comment

We do not have strict rule on this. Generally speaking most guys have someone else cut their hair, but a few cut it themselves. As long as it's within regulation, I'm sure most places won't make you cut it.

Comment

Please reply.

Cory.
                          Hi Cory. In a word, NO. You will not need to cut your hair.

I will do that for you. Want to keep your sideburns? Hold out your hand.

Comment

On a side note what are most departments policy on facial hair? I have a goatee I keep trimmed and very short. I was planning on shaving it for school but didn't know if it was allowed once on the job....

Comment

It comes down to protecting yourself.

If your hair (facial or on your scalp) interferes with the proper wearing of your PPE, you need to lose it. A mask fit test will be the ulimate decider on that goatee.

NFL players can get away with letting their dreads hang out of their helmet. The first time you do that in a real fire situation, you may get a "trim" courtesy of the red devil.

The ladies among us face the same problem (except for the goatee, I hope...).
                              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X