probie with leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonnee View Post
    Must have slept in a Holiday Inn before, huh?

FWIW I do and my department prefers leather over the plastic, as leather is more durable and taken care of will last the members career!
    I honestly have no idea what Holiday Inn or any other kind of hotel or motel has to do with anything being discussed here (but for the record, I don't recall every having stayed in a Holiday Inn). I guess this is just another random, connects-to-nothing comment like you've recently been tossing around after me for some unknown reason.

I like peanut butter. I guess that means I'd rather go to Australia than Ireland for my next vacation, right? Makes about as much sense as anything else you've replied to me lately...

Anyway, if you and your department prefers leather, good for you and your department. I don't care if you and your department prefer leather or prefer your helmets made out of strawberry jelly. I really don't. But if you know of some actual valid scientific tests that says one is better than another, again, I'd really love to hear about it.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

You don't need a scientific test to know that if something hits your helmet hard enough to penetrate or break it, you're probably not going to survive anyway. Doesn't matter if it's plastic or leather.
      IAFF

Comment

word

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Brevity is the soul of wit, webteam.
        Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

WHo givesa $hit Where what you want to wear. Wear what protects you the best or works for you the best.

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter42 View Post
            Right on. I've never melted a leather lid.
            Seriously, does this mean you melted a plastic/fiberglass/composite?

And you survived?
            HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
              I honestly have no idea what Holiday Inn or any other kind of hotel or motel has to do with anything being discussed here (but for the record, I don't recall every having stayed in a Holiday Inn). I guess this is just another random, connects-to-nothing comment like you've recently been tossing around after me for some unknown reason.
              Here, this will answer your assumption, that it connects to nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dOHEw8izno

If you don't get why he used it, and I have to explain it further, well, you probably aren't smart enough to figure out how to dress yourself.
              "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

Originally posted by Chenzo View Post
                Here, this will answer your assumption, that it connects to nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dOHEw8izno

If you don't get why he used it, and I have to explain it further, well, you probably aren't smart enough to figure out how to dress yourself.
                First of all, I don't care enough about it to waste my time with some stupid video on Youtube. If it wasn't important enough for a direct explanation, then it's not important enough for me to waste my time going out of my way to figure out what somebody else meant in some stupid comment he tossed off. It ain't happening.

Secondly, it wasn't an assumption, it was a guess. If you don't know the difference, you probably aren't smart enough to figure out how to dress yourself. And I'm willing to bet I can dress myself quite a bit nicer than you can.

If my reply comes across as being rude at all, then please understand this: I'm only rude in response to rudeness.

Finally, as I already said, I've never stayed in a Holiday Inn so whatever "clever" reason he had for mentioning it in the first place, his conclusion was just flat-out wrong, as were all the other ones he made about me today. Since they were wrong and do not apply, I see absolutely no reason why I should give a rat's *** about why he thought he was being clever.

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

Anyone one else getting that feeling of "sense of humour FAIL"??

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMtnsFF View Post
                    Anyone one else getting that feeling of "sense of humour FAIL"??
                    Oh, that's definitely the case. That kind of thing usually happens with me after reading comments like the last sentence of Post #51. It also always happens with me when people make incorrect assumptions about me, which Jonnee has in fact done a few times today. So I was most definitely not pre-disposed to seeing any humor from him or in any comments backing him up.

Comment

Sno, do you have a rolled up newspaper I may borrow?
                      Matt G.
                      Battalion Chief
                      IACOJ-Member
                      FTM-PTB

Comment

Did I ever CLAIM to be a firefighter? Have I NOT, in fact, stated publicly in the past that I am NOT a firefighter? As for where am I getting all THIS information, it's just what I've been hearing from other firefighters I know in REAL life. I'll be sure to tell them all that some random guy on the internet said they're all wrong, though.

I'll see if I can get photos of all the leather helmets in my station that are mis-shapen due to heat exposure. I'll see if I can get a video of one that is permanently soft.

I guess one advantage of plastic is that when they get damaged from heat exposure, nobody is so emotionally attached to them that they try to rehabilitate them and keep them in service when they should really be taken out back and shot.

As for my claims...If you have evidence that proves my claims wrong, by all means, post it. Seriously. And I am talking about scientifically-conducted direct-comparison tests with data that empirically shows leather is better; not your opinion, not what you've seen, what you've heard, no matter from how many people. Seriously, I've wanted to see scientific comparisons between different brands of helmets for a long time now, and have never found any. So if you know of any, I'd love to hear about it, even if it proves me wrong.

One other comment, though. I have heard lots of people say they prefer leather because it's more traditional. I have never, ever heard anyone state that they like leather better because it's more durable or protects better, etc. I wonder if there's a reason for that?
                        Random guy huh? Check my stats again,better yet come on down. 42 years on the LINE, a LOT of active fire and YUP,I wear Leather. There are a few on the forum that have worked with me,even more that KNOW me personally or thru training classes. For EVERY leather you can show me damaged,I can show you twice or three times that in salad bowls. As I've said before,and others have told YOU, a PROPERLY cared for Leather can last the Entire career of a FF in MANY depts. You sound like one of those BOOK guys,I read a Study,so that's gotta be the way to go . Good luck with that in the REAL world. T.C.

Comment

Did I ever CLAIM to be a firefighter? Have I NOT, in fact, stated publicly in the past that I am NOT a firefighter? As for where am I getting all THIS information, it's just what I've been hearing from other firefighters I know in REAL life. I'll be sure to tell them all that some random guy on the internet said they're all wrong, though.

I'll see if I can get photos of all the leather helmets in my station that are mis-shapen due to heat exposure. I'll see if I can get a video of one that is permanently soft.

I guess one advantage of plastic is that when they get damaged from heat exposure, nobody is so emotionally attached to them that they try to rehabilitate them and keep them in service when they should really be taken out back and shot.

As for my claims...If you have evidence that proves my claims wrong, by all means, post it. Seriously. And I am talking about scientifically-conducted direct-comparison tests with data that empirically shows leather is better; not your opinion, not what you've seen, what you've heard, no matter from how many people. Seriously, I've wanted to see scientific comparisons between different brands of helmets for a long time now, and have never found any. So if you know of any, I'd love to hear about it, even if it proves me wrong.

One other comment, though. I have heard lots of people say they prefer leather because it's more traditional. I have never, ever heard anyone state that they like leather better because it's more durable or protects better, etc. I wonder if there's a reason for that?
                          So NOW I got a Snot nosed,Green Azzed EMT/FF wannabe argueing with me about helmets. Anybody BESIDES me find this amusing? T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                            So NOW I got a Snot nosed,Green Azzed EMT/FF wannabe argueing with me about helmets. Anybody BESIDES me find this amusing? T.C.
                            I do now, especially after THAT comment LOL.

I was actually just commenting on FB about this hehe
                            September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                            IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                            Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Oh, that's definitely the case. That kind of thing usually happens with me after reading comments like the last sentence of Post #51. It also always happens with me when people make incorrect assumptions about me, which Jonnee has in fact done a few times today. So I was most definitely not pre-disposed to seeing any humor from him or in any comments backing him up.
                              Hmmn. With Jonnee I would walk thru the gates of HELL. YOU,probably not even the Kitchen. If you want to MAKE Probie, better stop TALKING and start LISTENING Jr,you MIGHT learn something YET. YOU are OUTNUMBERED and OUTGUNNED. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by mtg55 View Post
                                Sno, do you have a rolled up newspaper I may borrow?
                                Just grab the NFPA book, it's there in the bottom of the birdcage.
                                IAFF

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X