probie with leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nmfire View Post
    Hundreds of years of tradition uninhibited by progress.
    Well that's not true, is it. People were apparently perfectly willing to make the progressive upgrade of tin (or whatever metal) to leather. And that is exactly the point of what I was asking: Why were people willing to upgrade from metal to leather, but not from leather to plastic?
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

For the same reason they get angry when you tell them to put a seatbelt on. Don't look for logic.
      Last edited by nmfire; 11-12-2010, 07:05 AM.
      Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by CodyK View Post
        That's what it sounds like everyone with a leather helmet is trying to do.
        Right, thread's over. Cody wins.
        Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

JR - please explain the less protective comment.
          ?

Comment

They make helmets out of leather?

Gosh, gimme a patent leather one!
            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Hey. Look guys! Another thread about leather helmets!!! And you all wonder why I drink........
              Matt G.
              Battalion Chief
              IACOJ-Member
              FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by mtg55 View Post
                Hey. Look guys! Another thread about leather helmets!!! And you all wonder why I drink........
                You drink because you are ugly!
                "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                  You drink because you are ugly!
                  No, I'm at peace with that lol
                  Matt G.
                  Battalion Chief
                  IACOJ-Member
                  FTM-PTB

Comment

Worry about nozzle control and starting IV's. Not lids
                    Get the first line into operation.

Comment

Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
                      Being relatively new to the world of fire departments and firefighting, here is something I don't understand. Leather helmets are heavier, more expensive, less protective, and less durable than modern plastics. People who want them want one because they're "traditional". Why do people who want to be "traditional" only go back as far as leather? Why doesn't anybody want to be so traditional that they want tin helmets?
                      LESS protective? How you figure? Are YOU really a Firefighter? Less durable? Just WHERE are you getting all this ERRONEOUS information? You KNOW anything about a LEATHER helmet? T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                        LESS protective? How you figure? Are YOU really a Firefighter? Less durable? Just WHERE are you getting all this ERRONEOUS information? You KNOW anything about a LEATHER helmet? T.C.
                        Right on. I've never melted a leather lid.

Comment

Originally posted by CodyK View Post
                          I'm just starting the process of becoming an emt/ff so pardon the dumb question but why would you want a leather helmet? Is the actual outside of the helmet leather? I guess I just don't see why it's better than a regular helmet.
                          Yup,THAT SHOWS! Keep on with your schoolin' MAYBE you'll figure it out. A leather helmet is ONE of the last symbols of a two hundred year Heritage that some of us are fortunate enough to keep. In MANY Depts a properly maintained Leather will last your CAREER unlike those Tuppeyware POS that many Depts issue(INCLUDING mine). Here if you buy it and put a Dept issued Front on it you can have it. Many of our personnel have. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                            Did I ever CLAIM to be a firefighter? Have I NOT, in fact, stated publicly in the past that I am NOT a firefighter? As for where am I getting all THIS information, it's just what I've been hearing from other firefighters I know in REAL life. I'll be sure to tell them all that some random guy on the internet said they're all wrong, though.

Originally posted by kyhunter42 View Post
                            Right on. I've never melted a leather lid.
                            I'll see if I can get photos of all the leather helmets in my station that are mis-shapen due to heat exposure. I'll see if I can get a video of one that is permanently soft.

I guess one advantage of plastic is that when they get damaged from heat exposure, nobody is so emotionally attached to them that they try to rehabilitate them and keep them in service when they should really be taken out back and shot.

As for my claims...If you have evidence that proves my claims wrong, by all means, post it. Seriously. And I am talking about scientifically-conducted direct-comparison tests with data that empirically shows leather is better; not your opinion, not what you've seen, what you've heard, no matter from how many people. Seriously, I've wanted to see scientific comparisons between different brands of helmets for a long time now, and have never found any. So if you know of any, I'd love to hear about it, even if it proves me wrong.

One other comment, though. I have heard lots of people say they prefer leather because it's more traditional. I have never, ever heard anyone state that they like leather better because it's more durable or protects better, etc. I wonder if there's a reason for that?
                            -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

Somebody's been drinking the Boulaid.
                              IAFF

Comment

Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
                                Did I ever CLAIM to be a firefighter? Have I NOT, in fact, stated publicly in the past that I am NOT a firefighter? As for where am I getting all THIS information, it's just what I've been hearing from other firefighters I know in REAL life. I'll be sure to tell them all that some random guy on the internet said they're all wrong, though.

I'll see if I can get photos of all the leather helmets in my station that are mis-shapen due to heat exposure. I'll see if I can get a video of one that is permanently soft.

I guess one advantage of plastic is that when they get damaged from heat exposure, nobody is so emotionally attached to them that they try to rehabilitate them and keep them in service when they should really be taken out back and shot.

As for my claims...If you have evidence that proves my claims wrong, by all means, post it. Seriously. And I am talking about scientifically-conducted direct-comparison tests with data that empirically shows leather is better; not your opinion, not what you've seen, what you've heard, no matter from how many people. Seriously, I've wanted to see scientific comparisons between different brands of helmets for a long time now, and have never found any. So if you know of any, I'd love to hear about it, even if it proves me wrong.

One other comment, though. I have heard lots of people say they prefer leather because it's more traditional. I have never, ever heard anyone state that they like leather better because it's more durable or protects better, etc. I wonder if there's a reason for that?

Must have slept in a Holiday Inn before, huh?

FWIW I do and my department prefers leather over the plastic, as leather is more durable and taken care of will last the members career!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X