probie with leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probie with leather

how do you guys feel about a probie coming in on his first day with no experience with a brand new leather helmet on? do they need to earn it? will you think differnt of them?

Why is every 3rd thread suddenly about leather? If PETA ever finds this forum, they will crap a brick....
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Geeez whatever floats your boat.
      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Define probie.
        IAFF

Comment

It's a (*&$# helmet. It is to protect your head from impacts. Why does it matter what helmet the guy has as long as it is within the scope of allowed PPE in your department. There is nothing to earn. People who treat a helmet and the material it is made out of as some kind of status symbol annoy the hell out of me. It is soooo stupid.
          Last edited by nmfire; 11-10-2010, 07:27 PM.
          Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

The helmet is not going to define you as a firefighter... unless of course you show up with leather on day one.. then you will defined as a premadona.

What in the world are you thinking?

If the department issues the helmets, and you try to do your own thing, then your stay will be short.

Save your money son.

Side Note: I find it interesting that so many youngun's seem to worry about leather helmets, blue lights on POVs and gloves they should use when they don't have any clue as to what this job is about. It seems that some think it is about glory and looking cool. It isn't. It is a dangerous, tough and dirty job, that is if you really want to be a firefighter.

Most of us went into this because we felt a sense of duty to others, just a chance to help someone else when they were having the worst day of their life. We don't need to look cool to do that. Those people don't care if we wear a leather helmet or a bananna hat. They just need our help.

I swear, some of you guys need to spend less time worrying about your helmets, gloves and lights and spend more time learning how to be a better firefighter. I promise, learning to be a better firefighter is a better use of time and will take less energy.

If you decide to buy a leather helmet after you have danced with devil, I don't care... but don't you think it might be constructive to actually know the job before you worry about little things like that?

When I started out I just wanted a damn coat... any coat, any boots, any gloves, anything. You young guys today have it made.

Sorry for my rant... I am now stepping off the soapbox.

Harve... let me have some of those pills, sir.
            HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

I think a better question is how I feel about a supposed veteran firefighter who has nothing better to worry about.
              Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

Well thank you for that...

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
                  Harve... let me have some of those pills, sir.
                  Those blue ones he takes?

Comment

The red ones are much better

Comment

leatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherl eatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherle atherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherlea therleatherleatherleatherleathlleatherleatherleath erleathereatherleatherleatherleathererleatherleath erleatherleatherleatleatherlleatherleatherleatherl eathereatherleatherleatherherleatherleatherleleath erleatherleatherleatheratheleatherleatherleatherle atherrleatherleathleatleatherleatherleatherleather herleatleatherleatherleatherleatherherleatherleath ererleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleat herleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleath erleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleathe rleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleather leatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherl eatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherle atherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherlea therleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleat herleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleath erleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleatherleathe rleatherleatherleatherleatherleather
                      IAFF

Comment

We have a policy that you may wear a leather if you purchase it. You also must be a senior firefighter, out of probation.

I think he should have to earn the right to wear it. It will give him some motivation.

And what does "People Easting Tasty Animals" have to do with this thread?
                        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                          We have a policy that you may wear a leather if you purchase it. You also must be a senior firefighter, out of probation.

I think he should have to earn the right to wear it. It will give him some motivation.

And what does "People Easting Tasty Animals" have to do with this thread?
                          They seem to have their hands in everything else, why not FH? lol
                          "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

So what??? Is the kid supposed to use some POS garbage helmet just because he's new? Unless there's some set way of ID'ing rookies there (different color helmet/shield/etc), what should he be wearing then?

Here, you wear what the city gives you, period. We wear salad bowls with your assigned company number decals on the side. With those items the city does give us leeway, anyone can wear anything regardless of rank/time, with only 2 exceptions I can think of:

1. In the academy, only the PPE issued, nothing more or less. No personal tools, lights, escape ropes, etc. We were given a list of suggested items to buy before the field, but we couldn't use/carry any of it until graduation. Once in the field, you have as much right as anyone else to carry what you think you need.

2. Used to be, you didn't get your numbers until you had a job. Now that has changed for accountability reasons. You get numbers as soon as you go to your company. I personally disagree with that, as not having numbers is a dead giveaway that someone's not had a job. Seeing someone with a 'clean' helmet you want to be more careful for/about them than if the new guy looks like everyone else.

EDIT: We also have a saying, the member makes the numbers, not the numbers make the member. A bum can be assigned to a 'good' company, or a good guy can be assigned to a 'bum' company. What it means is don't judge the guy by his helmet...
                            Last edited by mrpita; 11-11-2010, 11:03 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts
                            Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Comment

I'm just starting the process of becoming an emt/ff so pardon the dumb question but why would you want a leather helmet? Is the actual outside of the helmet leather? I guess I just don't see why it's better than a regular helmet.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X