Best non-fire "rescue" helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best non-fire "rescue" helmet?

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or suggestions for non-firefighting "rescue" helmets.

My department provides Petzl ECRIN ROC helmets. They aren't issued to personnel, but are stored on apparatus in case they're needed. Personally, I would rather have my own, and I would rather my own be something that offers better protection than what this Petzl model appears to.

I'm not going to be getting anything in the near future. I'm not taking any rescue classes until next year. I just want to get a sense of what my options are. I'm not even sure, actually, if there are any standards (like from NFPA or ANSI) that apply.

Also, on a similar note, feel free to toss in any suggestions regarding non-firefighting gloves. I see some described as "extrication" and others described as "rescue"; what's the difference between them? Is the difference so big that we really need three different pairs of gloves? I actually already have a pair of Ringers Barrier 1 Extrication gloves; when I get into rescue, am I going to want something specifically called a "rescue glove", and if so, what are the better brands/models to consider? And are there any extrication gloves that are markedly better than the ones I have now?
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Kinda partial to my Pacific helmet R3T with the torch pod
    Last edited by Capt387; 11-09-2010, 03:12 PM.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

Kiwi gets my vote.
      Career Firefighter
      Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
      I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
        Kiwi gets my vote.
        Which Kiwi model? I went to the Kiwi website and saw models for sports and other recreational activities, but no specific product category oriented towards fire/rescue/emergency services.

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
          Also, on a similar note, feel free to toss in any suggestions regarding non-firefighting gloves. I see some described as "extrication" and others described as "rescue"; what's the difference between them? Is the difference so big that we really need three different pairs of gloves? I actually already have a pair of Ringers Barrier 1 Extrication gloves; when I get into rescue, am I going to want something specifically called a "rescue glove", and if so, what are the better brands/models to consider? And are there any extrication gloves that are markedly better than the ones I have now?
          Its not really a good idea to use fire or extrication gloves for things like ropes because of what is on the gloves. Both could have chemicals, glass dust, or whatever else on them. Other rescue specialties, fire or extrication gloves might be okay. A simple pair of leather gloves should suffice for rope.

Comment

Which Kiwi model? I went to the Kiwi website and saw models for sports and other recreational activities, but no specific product category oriented towards fire/rescue/emergency services.
            R3T
            http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...t_w_torch_pod/
            Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

And.........

At first Glance, mine looks like an R3...... I'll check and get back here with the info.........
              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
              In memory of
              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                At first Glance, mine looks like an R3...... I'll check and get back here with the info.........
                Harve, the only difference between the R3 and the R3T is the slot on top for a 4A flashlight

Comment

Oh, OK...LOL, you're talking about Pacific. I didn't realize Kiwi was a model line; not knowing that, I thought Kiwi as a brand name, so that's what I searched for in Google. And coincidentally enough, there actually is a helmet manufacturer named Kiwi; as I said earlier, they make helmets for sports & rec.

Comment

The PMI Advantage helmet is lighter and now NFPA compliant for rescue helmets. This is what our guys have started getting.
                    Jason Brooks
                    IAFF Local 2388
                    IACOJ

Comment

I say save your money and use what ever your dept has for you. I am all for buying personal tools and equipment that will help you do your job better but for to spend your money on a helmet that you don't really use that often I don't get. Now I do know guys that are apart of USAR teams that have there own stuff but that is B/c they may get called up any time and have to have all there bads packed ready to go when they are on the deployment list. I will look tomorrow and see what helmets we use at work. We have rescue helmes then Swift water helmets at well.

Comment

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or suggestions for non-firefighting "rescue" helmets.

My department provides Petzl ECRIN ROC helmets. They aren't issued to personnel, but are stored on apparatus in case they're needed. Personally, I would rather have my own, and I would rather my own be something that offers better protection than what this Petzl model appears to.
                        What kind of protection are you looking for. I can't recommend a different helmet based on that.

My opinion, as of now, would be that you can't get much better of a helmet for technical rescue. Really at that point your just debating brands (black diamond, petzl, etc.). With a rescue helmet you don't want it to obstruct your view, you want it to be light, and you want it to keep a low profile. So for technical rescue that petzl is the way to go.

The problem I see with that R3 helmet is that it is added bulk and added weight. I can't say anything else since I have not tried it.

I do a lot of technical rescue with Search and Rescue. Anything bigger than a standard climbing helmet just gets in the way and makes my neck sore.

Comment

I'm not going to be getting anything in the near future. I'm not taking any rescue classes until next year. I just want to get a sense of what my options are. I'm not even sure, actually, if there are any standards (like from NFPA or ANSI) that apply.

WHY??? You have made it PATENTLY clear you are not a FF, EMT, or anything. "My department"? How are you on a department and not a FF, EMT, or anything?

TROLL
                          Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpita View Post
                            WHY??? You have made it PATENTLY clear you are not a FF, EMT, or anything. "My department"? How are you on a department and not a FF, EMT, or anything?

TROLL
                            I have also made the answer to your question PATENTLY clear in the past, often in the same places where I've made it clear what I'm not. It's actually pretty simple. I am in

TRAINING

Comment

What's with the obsession with helmets?
                              I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X