Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the ratchet system on helmet- is it a "no-no" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it takes a week to cure, it really must have been very sick.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

1 week to cure - Per instructions on the product.

The final 2 coats applied exactly 15 minutes apart as the first one was "flashing" at the 15 minute mark.

My brother does art restoration (4 years of college for it) He said that enamel takes a LOT longer than you think to cure. About 1 week.

Comment

Originally posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
        Yes and yes.

Sign up? Not hardly. "My help" would hardly be constructive (as far as they're concerned). Along that line of thinking, that "help" aka cutting through all their "practical" BS, would result in them almost ceasing to exist. But I bet they'll take me right in, lol. I'll have no part of it.

I'm anticipating the "be the change you want to see in the world", type quotes coming...

Are you defending the NFPA? Just curious...as that usually speaks volumes in itself.

Most people who whine, complain, gripe, kvetch and bitch about NFPA haven't a clue about what they do. They see a recommendation or two and how it will affect the FD and go off the deep end.

Are some of their recommendations over the top? Sure.
        Are some of them necessary? Absolutely.
        Are some of them an unnecessary burden? Absolutely.

NFPA is a lot like a wife/husband/lover/significant other. There are things about them that you love, things about them you hate, things you would like to get from them and things that you don't give a fat rat's rump over.
        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKrusher2010 View Post
          1 week to cure - Per instructions on the product.

The final 2 coats applied exactly 15 minutes apart as the first one was "flashing" at the 15 minute mark.

My brother does art restoration (4 years of college for it) He said that enamel takes a LOT longer than you think to cure. About 1 week.
          See above. Mine was DONE and back to work in 24 hrs. They don't truly "cure"for about a year. Heat and UV light speeds up the process. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
            See above. Mine was DONE and back to work in 24 hrs. They don't truly "cure"for about a year. Heat and UV light speeds up the process. T.C.
            I think it was wise for the OP to follow the instructions provided with the product being used.

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

Ok, I have a cow. I love it, and it's been painted numerous different colors over the years. But for the love of Jebas, how many threads do we need? Are people going to ask the proper way of wiping next? I mean no offense to the OP, but c'mon. This isn't a popular vote, nor is it twitter. If you have a question about what your chief will think, where do you think the best place to get an answer from is? Your chief. I really hate sounding like this as I love to share info and what knowledge I think I have, and I apologize if you feel it is warrented for me to do so. But its almost as bad as the Blue light threads. Now that I'm done venting, who wants cake?
              Matt G.
              Battalion Chief
              IACOJ-Member
              FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
                I think it was wise for the OP to follow the instructions provided with the product being used.
                Yup. CERTAINLY don't want to take the advice of a guy with 30 years of Automotive paint experience. No skin off my back but I DO know paint product. Remind me NOT to be helpful again. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by mtg55 View Post
                  Are people going to ask the proper way of wiping next?
                  It all depends on if you are a folder or a buncher!
                  Stay Safe
                  Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
                  - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
                  -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

Ummn,OSHA? And YES,they CAN! T.C.
                    Not every state is an OSHA state.

Comment

Yup. CERTAINLY don't want to take the advice of a guy with 30 years of Automotive paint experience. No skin off my back but I DO know paint product. Remind me NOT to be helpful again. T.C.
                      1. How was anyone supposed to know that? Perhaps you've mentioned it before, but maybe this guy never read it. It's not in your public profile.

2. Anyone can say they have 30, 40, even 50 years or more of experience doing anything. Watch: I've been a orthopedic surgeon for 45 years. See how easy that was? When it comes to believing A) the manufacturer's instructions/directions, or B) following the advice of someone on the internet who claims to know what he's talking about because he's been doing something that's slightly similar for 30 years, it's much more intelligent to choose Option A. Sorry, no disrespect is intended, but that's a fact.

3. Not all paints are the same. Do you know exactly what kind of paint he was talking about? I don't recall seeing him say what brand he was using. Remember, I've been an orthopedic surgeon for 45 years, so I'm sure you wouldn't mind me operating on your brain, right? Surgery is surgery, right?

Bottom line: Feel free to offer all the help, suggestions, tips, etc., that you feel qualified to provide. But don't get all hot under the collar when someone points out the obvious fact that following the manufacturer's instructions is generally a smarter idea than taking random advice found on the internet from people one doesn't know and doesn't have any real idea if they actually know what they're talking about or not.

Comment

Umm........

Heat and UV light speeds up the process. T.C.
                        Tim, Take a Week off. Pack up your Lid, head to Hawaii. Park your lid on the Beach and let the Warmth and UV Rays do the work........
                        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                        In memory of
                        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Just dunk your cowhide in Dulux. It'll stick forever! :-}

Comment

Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
                            1. How was anyone supposed to know that? Perhaps you've mentioned it before, but maybe this guy never read it. It's not in your public profile.

2. Anyone can say they have 30, 40, even 50 years or more of experience doing anything. Watch: I've been a orthopedic surgeon for 45 years. See how easy that was? When it comes to believing A) the manufacturer's instructions/directions, or B) following the advice of someone on the internet who claims to know what he's talking about because he's been doing something that's slightly similar for 30 years, it's much more intelligent to choose Option A. Sorry, no disrespect is intended, but that's a fact.

3. Not all paints are the same. Do you know exactly what kind of paint he was talking about? I don't recall seeing him say what brand he was using. Remember, I've been an orthopedic surgeon for 45 years, so I'm sure you wouldn't mind me operating on your brain, right? Surgery is surgery, right?

Bottom line: Feel free to offer all the help, suggestions, tips, etc., that you feel qualified to provide. But don't get all hot under the collar when someone points out the obvious fact that following the manufacturer's instructions is generally a smarter idea than taking random advice found on the internet from people one doesn't know and doesn't have any real idea if they actually know what they're talking about or not.
                            Trust me, my hide is thicker than you give me credit for. As a running rule I SELDOM offer advise unless it's a job I have some (or extensive)background in. I come from a family of smitty's,mechanics and shipbuilders(like BIW ships) I'm a Mechanic,My dad was a mechanic in GENERAL auto repair. IE ANYTHING automotive ,INCLUDING paint. This spans collectively a period from the early forties thru now. Paint has changed CONSIDERABLY in that time period as has admixtures and cure times . And if you are just joining this thread I had already advised the OP of a fast drying durable product to use on his Cow,one I have used successfully many times before. So I guess you could say we BOTH have valid points. Now back to our regularly scheduled debate. T.C.
                            Last edited by Rescue101; 11-08-2010, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                              Tim, Take a Week off. Pack up your Lid, head to Hawaii. Park your lid on the Beach and let the Warmth and UV Rays do the work........
                              Ah Schit Harve,I put the "super sauce" in the mix. It was battle ready in 24 hrs. Every time i go to the beach, it snows. Time to do the "spare" now,hehe T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
                                Just dunk your cowhide in Dulux. It'll stick forever! :-}
                                Know where i can get some? Cheap but GREAT paint in it's day,'specially if you put some "stiffner" in it. T.C.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X