Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the ratchet system on helmet- is it a "no-no" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BULL321
    replied
    Originally posted by mtg55 View Post
    Are people going to ask the proper way of wiping next?
    It all depends on if you are a folder or a buncher!

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
    I think it was wise for the OP to follow the instructions provided with the product being used.
    Yup. CERTAINLY don't want to take the advice of a guy with 30 years of Automotive paint experience. No skin off my back but I DO know paint product. Remind me NOT to be helpful again. T.C.

Leave a comment:

• mtg55
    replied
    Ok, I have a cow. I love it, and it's been painted numerous different colors over the years. But for the love of Jebas, how many threads do we need? Are people going to ask the proper way of wiping next? I mean no offense to the OP, but c'mon. This isn't a popular vote, nor is it twitter. If you have a question about what your chief will think, where do you think the best place to get an answer from is? Your chief. I really hate sounding like this as I love to share info and what knowledge I think I have, and I apologize if you feel it is warrented for me to do so. But its almost as bad as the Blue light threads. Now that I'm done venting, who wants cake?

Leave a comment:

• JJR512
    replied
    Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
    See above. Mine was DONE and back to work in 24 hrs. They don't truly "cure"for about a year. Heat and UV light speeds up the process. T.C.
    I think it was wise for the OP to follow the instructions provided with the product being used.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by SkullKrusher2010 View Post
    1 week to cure - Per instructions on the product.

The final 2 coats applied exactly 15 minutes apart as the first one was "flashing" at the 15 minute mark.

My brother does art restoration (4 years of college for it) He said that enamel takes a LOT longer than you think to cure. About 1 week.
    See above. Mine was DONE and back to work in 24 hrs. They don't truly "cure"for about a year. Heat and UV light speeds up the process. T.C.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyChiefGonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    Yes and yes.

Sign up? Not hardly. "My help" would hardly be constructive (as far as they're concerned). Along that line of thinking, that "help" aka cutting through all their "practical" BS, would result in them almost ceasing to exist. But I bet they'll take me right in, lol. I'll have no part of it.

I'm anticipating the "be the change you want to see in the world", type quotes coming...

Are you defending the NFPA? Just curious...as that usually speaks volumes in itself.

Most people who whine, complain, gripe, kvetch and bitch about NFPA haven't a clue about what they do. They see a recommendation or two and how it will affect the FD and go off the deep end.

Are some of their recommendations over the top? Sure.
    Are some of them necessary? Absolutely.
    Are some of them an unnecessary burden? Absolutely.

NFPA is a lot like a wife/husband/lover/significant other. There are things about them that you love, things about them you hate, things you would like to get from them and things that you don't give a fat rat's rump over.

Leave a comment:

• SkullKrusher2010
    replied
    1 week to cure - Per instructions on the product.

The final 2 coats applied exactly 15 minutes apart as the first one was "flashing" at the 15 minute mark.

My brother does art restoration (4 years of college for it) He said that enamel takes a LOT longer than you think to cure. About 1 week.

Leave a comment:

• JJR512
    replied
    If it takes a week to cure, it really must have been very sick.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Yeah baby! Just got done removing all the masking tape on the just-painted N6A Houston.. Sprayed the final coat of engine high-temp enamel a bit over an hour ago..

Looks amazing... Even with that ratchet system. Now, I have to give it a week to cure..
    If it takes a WEEK to CURE you used the WRONG paint. 24 good to go! T.c.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue101
    replied
    Originally posted by BULL321 View Post
    I thought that level of hell was reserved for the NFPA Nazis, Safety Sallies and Yard Breathers?
    12th LEVEL. T.C.

Leave a comment:

• Capt387
    replied
    Originally posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    Yes and yes.

Sign up? Not hardly. "My help" would hardly be constructive (as far as they're concerned). Along that line of thinking, that "help" aka cutting through all their "practical" BS, would result in them almost ceasing to exist. But I bet they'll take me right in, lol. I'll have no part of it.

I'm anticipating the "be the change you want to see in the world", type quotes coming...

Are you defending the NFPA? Just curious...as that usually speaks volumes in itself.
    I by no means agree with everything they come up with. You have to be educated enough to weigh through the BS and not put a broad brush across the fire service. You need to understand that usually something has to have happened to cause a "reaction" and a change in the standards. Here are a few of them for you to ponder:

1901 - a recent change now requires hose beds to have a net over them resulting from a child dying after a engine passed by on the way to a run and being killed by a accidentally deployed hose line.

1852 - a recent change now requires stronger heat/submersion tests on all scba electronics resulting from two firefighters in St. Louis dying and afterwards found out to have water intrusion on their pass device keeping the downed firefighters from being found.

I will not ask you to "be the change you want to see" but it might be worth looking down.

Leave a comment:

• IronsMan53
    replied
    Originally posted by sdfd504 View Post
    I have taken the ratchet out of all three of my leathers over the years along with the black crown pad and it makes the helmet fit much better. I just push the ear flaps in if I don't need a mask on and then I fold them down when I wear a mask and it fits perfect. You can put the ratchet back in the helmet if you decide down the road that you liked it better with it installed. It just pops in and out with two tabs on each side.
    What this guy said. In fact, out of the over 100 leathers in service in my department, I can probably count on one hand the number of helmets with the ratchet installed.

Leave a comment:

• SkullKrusher2010
    replied
    Yeah baby! Just got done removing all the masking tape on the just-painted N6A Houston.. Sprayed the final coat of engine high-temp enamel a bit over an hour ago..

Looks amazing... Even with that ratchet system. Now, I have to give it a week to cure..

Leave a comment:

• BULL321
    replied
    Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
    No, there's an eleventh level of hell reserved for tag removers.
    I thought that level of hell was reserved for the NFPA Nazis, Safety Sallies and Yard Breathers?

Leave a comment:

• JJR512
    replied
    Serious question meant for a serious answer..

You do know that they throw firefighters into the same correctional facility as those malcontents and scofflaws that remove mattress tags .. SOMETHING has to be done about people like this!
    No, there's an eleventh level of hell reserved for tag removers.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X