Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the ratchet system on helmet- is it a "no-no" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Ummn,OSHA? And YES,they CAN! T.C.
    Oh yes, now that four letter word can!

I'm so used to that other four letter card being thrown around here ("Not for practical application). this four letter word business can be tricky

Comment

Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
      Yes. The FBI has a special division, the Tag Removal Division (that's TARD for short) that investigates things like this. The TARDs normally handle mattress tag removals, but they have a SWAT team for more egregious tag removals like those from safety helmets. Don't mess with the TARDs, they'll get you every time.
      I was wondering the same about the tag on the rear brim.. I just left it on and masked it off.. would rather of taken it off but I don't want it to be an issue with my Chief.. Is it possible to get a replacement sticker??

I just put the ratchet back in my helmet..Not that hard since it takes all of 1 minute to snap it back in.. I liked how it fit with the ratchet off and the ear flaps folded under.. Fit my SCBA mask perfectly also in the "deployed" position with the flaps out.. I also think that the ratchet sits too close to the bottom of my skull and almost on my neck.. almost uncomfortable. I did remove the pad at the top of the suspension. Who's bright idea was it to put that fluff in there!? Not needed at all...

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKrusher2010 View Post
        I was wondering the same about the tag on the rear brim.. I just left it on and masked it off.. would rather of taken it off but I don't want it to be an issue with my Chief.. Is it possible to get a replacement sticker??

MSA will not sell the stickers. And the sticker on the rear Brim is not the one that really matters. Inside the helmet is a smaller sticker with the NFPA or OSHA cert. They put that sticker inside the helmet so it never gets damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
          Ummn,OSHA? And YES,they CAN! T.C.
          That's the one. Thank you T.C.
          Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

Originally posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
            They are however, a bunch of civilian pencil pushing statistic crunchers that often lack the ability to use common sense.
            I assume you are referring to NFPA here. have you ever looked at who is on a NFPA committee? In the 2007 revision of 1971 (structural gear standard) there were 12 fire service members on the panel. Wanna change things? Sign up, I am sure you can help.
            Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

And here I thought that what I wrote was probably the funniest thing I've ever written on these forums...I didn't realize anyone was actually going to take that seriously.
              -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

And here I thought that what I wrote was probably the funniest thing I've ever written on these forums...I didn't realize anyone was actually going to take that seriously.
                Serious question meant for a serious answer..

You do know that they throw firefighters into the same correctional facility as those malcontents and scofflaws that remove mattress tags .. SOMETHING has to be done about people like this!

Comment

Originally posted by Capt387 View Post
                  I assume you are referring to NFPA here. have you ever looked at who is on a NFPA committee? In the 2007 revision of 1971 (structural gear standard) there were 12 fire service members on the panel. Wanna change things? Sign up, I am sure you can help.
                  Yes and yes.

Sign up? Not hardly. "My help" would hardly be constructive (as far as they're concerned). Along that line of thinking, that "help" aka cutting through all their "practical" BS, would result in them almost ceasing to exist. But I bet they'll take me right in, lol. I'll have no part of it.

I'm anticipating the "be the change you want to see in the world", type quotes coming...

Are you defending the NFPA? Just curious...as that usually speaks volumes in itself.

Comment

Serious question meant for a serious answer..

You do know that they throw firefighters into the same correctional facility as those malcontents and scofflaws that remove mattress tags .. SOMETHING has to be done about people like this!
                    No, there's an eleventh level of hell reserved for tag removers.
                    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

No, there's an eleventh level of hell reserved for tag removers.
                      I thought that level of hell was reserved for the NFPA Nazis, Safety Sallies and Yard Breathers?
                      Stay Safe
                      Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
                      - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
                      -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

Yeah baby! Just got done removing all the masking tape on the just-painted N6A Houston.. Sprayed the final coat of engine high-temp enamel a bit over an hour ago..

Looks amazing... Even with that ratchet system. Now, I have to give it a week to cure..

Comment

Originally posted by sdfd504 View Post
                          I have taken the ratchet out of all three of my leathers over the years along with the black crown pad and it makes the helmet fit much better. I just push the ear flaps in if I don't need a mask on and then I fold them down when I wear a mask and it fits perfect. You can put the ratchet back in the helmet if you decide down the road that you liked it better with it installed. It just pops in and out with two tabs on each side.
                          What this guy said. In fact, out of the over 100 leathers in service in my department, I can probably count on one hand the number of helmets with the ratchet installed.
                          I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
                          "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
                          -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Comment

Originally posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
                            Yes and yes.

Sign up? Not hardly. "My help" would hardly be constructive (as far as they're concerned). Along that line of thinking, that "help" aka cutting through all their "practical" BS, would result in them almost ceasing to exist. But I bet they'll take me right in, lol. I'll have no part of it.

I'm anticipating the "be the change you want to see in the world", type quotes coming...

Are you defending the NFPA? Just curious...as that usually speaks volumes in itself.
                            I by no means agree with everything they come up with. You have to be educated enough to weigh through the BS and not put a broad brush across the fire service. You need to understand that usually something has to have happened to cause a "reaction" and a change in the standards. Here are a few of them for you to ponder:

1901 - a recent change now requires hose beds to have a net over them resulting from a child dying after a engine passed by on the way to a run and being killed by a accidentally deployed hose line.

1852 - a recent change now requires stronger heat/submersion tests on all scba electronics resulting from two firefighters in St. Louis dying and afterwards found out to have water intrusion on their pass device keeping the downed firefighters from being found.

I will not ask you to "be the change you want to see" but it might be worth looking down.

Comment

Originally posted by BULL321 View Post
                              I thought that level of hell was reserved for the NFPA Nazis, Safety Sallies and Yard Breathers?
                              12th LEVEL. T.C.

Comment

Yeah baby! Just got done removing all the masking tape on the just-painted N6A Houston.. Sprayed the final coat of engine high-temp enamel a bit over an hour ago..

Looks amazing... Even with that ratchet system. Now, I have to give it a week to cure..
                                If it takes a WEEK to CURE you used the WRONG paint. 24 good to go! T.c.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X