Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the ratchet system on helmet- is it a "no-no" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the ratchet system on helmet- is it a "no-no" ?

I was wondering if removing my N6A head ratchet is a "no-no" as far as NFPA and OSHA regs. Should I be worried about getting in trouble with my Chief for doing it to my personally owned helmet?

Thanks..

You are talking about permanently removing the suspension system from inside of the helmet...why? And yes, that would make it no longer usable, as that is the system that is designed to take the impact and cushion your skull. Wearing just the shell isn't going to do anything for you, and I would think would be a bit uncomfortable as well.

Comment

Hes not talking about taking out the impact liner. the impact liner and the ratchet system are seperate.

Comment

Originally posted by zackman1801 View Post
        Hes not talking about taking out the impact liner. the impact liner and the ratchet system are seperate.
        But WHY would you want to? I've got 2 N6A's and have no problem getting them fit CORRECTLY WITH the ratchet. T.C.

Comment

From an NFPA standpoint, you would have an issue. You are altering the fit and function of the helmet. That compromises the safety of it. As for your Chief minding, who knows. Why exactly would you want to do this? Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
            But WHY would you want to? I've got 2 N6A's and have no problem getting them fit CORRECTLY WITH the ratchet. T.C.
            i dont know why you would want to, i dont own a leather so i cant say too much, i was just clarifying that the impact cap and the ratchet system were two different things and were not all once peice in the helmet. I have been TOLD (only told) by people who wear them that with the ratchet system they sit higher than some people like.

Comment

Why would you want to? I have to adjust mine for with a hood and for without a hood on.

Comment

I have taken the ratchet out of all three of my leathers over the years along with the black crown pad and it makes the helmet fit much better. I just push the ear flaps in if I don't need a mask on and then I fold them down when I wear a mask and it fits perfect. You can put the ratchet back in the helmet if you decide down the road that you liked it better with it installed. It just pops in and out with two tabs on each side.
                Last edited by sdfd504; 11-07-2010, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Negative Duck Dodger, they are part of the suspension system of the helmet, by allowing someone to remove any component of helmet now, in the event of an injury, the 4 letter agency will ask you to get yer 'Ol checkbook out and pay a fine.
                  Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt387 View Post
                    Negative Duck Dodger, they are part of the suspension system of the helmet, by allowing someone to remove any component of helmet now, in the event of an injury, the 4 letter agency will ask you to get yer 'Ol checkbook out and pay a fine.
                    What happens when the label that has the model number of the helmet comes off even though it says do not remove this sticker? Do you get in trouble for doing that too?

Comment

i dont know why you would want to, i dont own a leather so i cant say too much, i was just clarifying that the impact cap and the ratchet system were two different things and were not all once peice in the helmet. I have been TOLD (only told) by people who wear them that with the ratchet system they sit higher than some people like.
                      Innards are ADJUSTABLE (if you know what you're doing)at least mine are. The only thing I changed was the pad stuck to the impact cap to a thinner one. Fits fine,mask or no mask. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt387 View Post
                        Negative, that four letter agency cannot do that. They are not law enforcement. With all the silly helmet threads, how can this still be a misconception on here?

They are however, a bunch of civilian pencil pushing statistic crunchers that often lack the ability to use common sense.

Comment

Ummn,OSHA? And YES,they CAN! T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                            Ummn,OSHA? And YES,they CAN! T.C.
                            OSHA fines people all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by sdfd504 View Post
                              What happens when the label that has the model number of the helmet comes off even though it says do not remove this sticker? Do you get in trouble for doing that too?
                              Yes. The FBI has a special division, the Tag Removal Division (that's TARD for short) that investigates things like this. The TARDs normally handle mattress tag removals, but they have a SWAT team for more egregious tag removals like those from safety helmets. Don't mess with the TARDs, they'll get you every time.
                              -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X