30 minute vs 45 minute bottle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 minute vs 45 minute bottle?

Our department is purchasing new bottles. We are in discussions between 30 minute and 45 minute bottles. I am looking for what the new trend everyone is going to. Does anyone have any solid literature on pros and cons between the two.

I personally think we should be using the 45 minute bottle. Due to the possibility of firefighter survival if it were ever needed!

Thanks in advance for everyone's input. I hope for a good discussion!!

How about some additional info.

How much do you have earmarked for the project?
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

I am trying to find hard facts, I don't want politics to be an issue at this point. But we all know that down the road it ends up being a factor!

Comment

Originally posted by smokinfire21 View Post
        I am trying to find hard facts, I don't want politics to be an issue at this point. But we all know that down the road it ends up being a factor!
        We may be able to give you some hard facts, if we know what type of department you have, type of runs, and the funds you are talking about spending.

As PK asked, answer that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnee View Post
          We may be able to give you some hard facts, if we know what type of department you have, type of runs, and the funds you are talking about spending.

As PK asked, answer that.
          Jonnee: I guess I need to watch how I ask questions.

I get the feeling he thought I was attacking him.

Do I seem unreasonable, cranky, overbearing and down-right mean to you?

Don't take too long to think about this... I want an answer..... today!

Comment

Dont worry Im not one of those sensative type of guys that are on here!!

It's a small town department that runs 200 calls a year. We mutual aid a pretty big saburban department alot. That has alot of industrial and some 3+ story buildings. The department is possibly talking about a RIT team down the road. I personally would like to see a combined RIT team with this other department.

We now have 2216 bottles.

Thanks

Comment

We are looking at MSA. There are 12 packs total but I don't know the exact amount of money allowed to spend yet. We also will have to upgrade the cascade system.

Comment

If you run a lot of mutual aid with big brother down the road, why not spec what they have? Makes RIC a lot easier when all the holes line up.
                IAFF

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
                  If you run a lot of mutual aid with big brother down the road, why not spec what they have? Makes RIC a lot easier when all the holes line up.
                  Exactly.... What he said /\ /\ /\ /\

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
                    Jonnee: I guess I need to watch how I ask questions.

I get the feeling he thought I was attacking him.

Do I seem unreasonable, cranky, overbearing and down-right mean to you?

Don't take too long to think about this... I want an answer..... today!
                    Nah,You seem.................SEASONED! Hehe T.C.

Comment

It's a small town department that runs 200 calls a year.
                      30 minute bottle.

Unless you are the rare department with an amazing number of fit guys, go with the lighter weight and practice good air management.

Most guys are only good for about 15 minutes of interior firefighting (you know, when you are really working).

Then they should get out and take a blow.

What's the number one killer?

Have a 45 minute bottle in a bag for your rit team.
                      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Did I hear something to the effect that the next No Firefighter Practical Application spec will require 45 min. cylinders?

Comment

First of all they are 1200 and 1800 liter bottles. Based on a resting breathing rate of 40 liters per minute is how they get the 30 min and 45 min times. During hard work you can breathe up to 300 liters per minute. In a 1200 liter bottle when down to your last 25% or low air warning alarm that is how much you have left, with an 1800 liter bottle you will have 600 liters left at your low air warning, with 1200 for entry, work and exit without having to use your reserve, aka low air warning air. In effect you have the same amount you use in the 1200 and still have air in case something would happen. As far as the 2400 liter "60" minute bottle the weight trades off the air and you exert and breath the rate of a 1200. All this to say go with the "45" min bottle. This is basic Rules of air management that the Seattle Brothers came out with. Makes good sense and is to protect us. Put a 60 in your RIT pack.

Comment

I agree, Go with the 45 minute cylinder. You can never have enough air.

Comment

I personally think we should be using the 45 minute bottle. Due to the possibility of firefighter survival if it were ever needed!!!
                              Originally posted by kyle77
                              I agree, Go with the 45 minute cylinder. You can never have enough air.
                              Here is the question that cannot be answered, but you both have obviously not considered:

How many guys having 50% more air will work longer, due to the fact that they still have air, and get themselves into trouble due to the fact.

If a guy overloads himself because his entire career he has been conditioned to work for his supply rate of a 30 minute bottle. Now he goes beyond that, gets into trouble, and still does not have "extra" air in his bottle.

My vote would be to stay with lighter, lower profile 30 minute bottles. If you need more air, you have to come outside and take a mandatory swap your bottle break.
                              RK
                              cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X