Intrinsic Safe Radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intrinsic Safe Radios

I am making a poll on whether the portable radios your fire department uses are Intrinsic Safe rated. Please also list the make and model you use, and whether you are satisfied with them.
    Public Safety Grade, Intrinsic Safe
    42.31%
    Public Safety Grade, Not Intrinsic Safe
    38.46%
    Non- Public Safety Grade, Intrinsic Safe
    3.85%
    Non- Public Safety Grade, Not Intrinsic Safe
    11.54%
    Don't Know
    3.85%

Icom F70D

That said, I really wonder how many IS rated radios out there are still actually IS rated, ie, are the replacement batteries IS rated, the accessories rated for IS, the service IS rated (Hint, your local shop is probably NOT set up for it) etc.

I think IS rating is actually over-rated.

Comment

Well................

I'm of the opinion, no disrespect to the OP, that this isn't really a big deal. If you are operating in the Conditions where an IS Radio is needed, you need to assess things in a bit more detail, specifically "Do I need to be here?" It's another version of "My PPE will withstand 800 degrees for 30 Minutes"..... Sure, the PPE will hold up, but the wearer will be dead. Permanently.
      Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
      In memory of
      Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
      Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
        That said, I really wonder how many IS rated radios out there are still actually IS rated, ie, are the replacement batteries IS rated, the accessories rated for IS, the service IS rated (Hint, your local shop is probably NOT set up for it) etc.
        x2. IS requires maintaining all IS batteries and accessories and using IS rated service and replair shops. Most do not. And most have no need for it either. If you're a HazMat team or something with an actual risk, fine. But 90% of us have no need for it.
        Last edited by nmfire; 11-04-2010, 10:55 AM.
        Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

My whole premise for posting this poll is because I was having a discussion with a gentleman about fire service radios. He believes that all FD radios should be IS, and not doing so is basically a lawsuit waiting to happen. I tend to agree that IS is overrated and not necessary for the majority of us.

Comment

Uh Huh..............

Originally posted by blaster668 View Post
            My whole premise for posting this poll is because I was having a discussion with a gentleman about fire service radios. He believes that all FD radios should be IS, and not doing so is basically a lawsuit waiting to happen. I tend to agree that IS is overrated and not necessary for the majority of us.
            What kind of Radios does the Gentleman sell??........
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Wow... I hate these ambulance chasers.

I guess you can apply that thinking to just about every aspect of what we do. Can any of us really know we have taken all of the risk out of this job?

I guess in a nut shell, all of us have a lawsuit just waiting to happen on something. Been there and done that before...

It is getting to the point that now we must baby-proof every environment before we let the kids play. Let's get real guys... not going to happen.
              HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

The other night, I caught two of our radios running with scissors.
                Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

Motorola XTS3000. Radio, battery, and the department's radio shop (yes, we have our own /\/\otorola radio techs) are all IS.

Our department's HM team serves 22 counties and 4 cities, so it made sense for all of the radios to be IS, as HM team members are not only assigned to the HM station, but some of the outlying stations also.

That being said, I've yet to be sold on the need to IS radios for everyday fire service use.
                  Career Fire Captain
                  Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

As an end user and sleasy Motorola Salesman, I say not nessescary, with one caveat... As mentioned above, the HM teams. Another exception may be if you have an industrial hazard in your first due who requires it. Some of my customers have bulk fuel storage, power plants, propane plants and such.... These facilities all have IS radios, it would make sense for the responders to these facilities to have the same.

The fact of the matter is on MOST radios, the ONLY difference between and FM approved radio and a non-approved radio is the little green sticker certifying it. Other than that they're identical, and there's a better probability of a lightning strike at a scene than a portable causing ignition.

-Nick

Comment

I am making a poll on whether the portable radios your fire department uses are Intrinsic Safe rated. Please also list the make and model you use, and whether you are satisfied with them.

Why are you doing this?

Did some slick salesperson with a new type of snake oil visit your FD??

We operate with Motorola XTS5000 hand helds.
                      Last edited by Jonnee; 11-04-2010, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
                        The other night, I caught two of our radios running with scissors.
                        Say it ain't SO. T.c.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                          Motorola XTS3000. Radio, battery, and the department's radio shop (yes, we have our own /\/\otorola radio techs) are all IS.

Our department's HM team serves 22 counties and 4 cities, so it made sense for all of the radios to be IS, as HM team members are not only assigned to the HM station, but some of the outlying stations also.

That being said, I've yet to be sold on the need to IS radios for everyday fire service use.
                          Which begs the question: Is a Non I/S radio in a Level A suit I/S? T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                            Which begs the question: Is a Non I/S radio in a Level A suit I/S? T.C.
                            That's what I'm thinking. If the atmosphere is anticipated to have vapor, our tech's wear Level A suits with the radios inside the suit.

Comment

When I set up the trunked radio system for a federal installation, the fire department got all IS handhelds, as did the fuel guys. As mentioned, the FD handles HM, not to mention being around fuels on the airfield.

Ironically, neither the mobile radios in the fire trucks and airfield support vehicles (including refuelers) nor the vehicles they are mounted in are IS....
                              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X