New Fire helmet concepts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fire helmet concepts

I am a University of Cincinnati student working on a project to design and improve the fire helmet. Last month I posted a survey on these forums to gather information and opinions from firefighters around the nation and the response I received was overwhelming and fantastic.

Now I have a new survey which show three of my proposed ideas for a new fire helmet. They are hand drawn, explained and labeled. If anyone out there can spare a few minutes to review them and answer a few questions I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking for as much feedback as possible, both constructive and critical, so feel free to be as honest as you like.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3GH5W3Q

If you have taken one of these surveys before, I encourage you to take this survey as well. It is a new survey with additional questions at the request of my professor.

Thank you for all you help thus far.

Sincerely,

Tom

Thank you far all you help thus far

I will be sure to take your survey later today (don't have the time now), but one thing just off the bat I'd like to mention. You MUST be sure these will interface properly with our SCBA masks. This is an issue in a few places, 1) the mask contacting with the helmet itself (ESPECIALLY in your Concept C design) 2) that there will be enough room under the helmet for the mask netting/hood.

Another, smaller point would be the fact there is no brim. I realize the brim increases the overall size and profile of the helmet but these are essential to making sure crap doesn't go down our backs!

Comment

Survey done. Hope I have helped you.
      “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
      ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

it seems like cool idea. So here is my thoughts on it,
        First the critical: i am not sure how long it would last after constant use in structural firefighting conditions. we tend to beat up our helmets and with the wiring and all that, im not sure how well that would hold up over time. also the brim is a big aspect as well, because even though it does sometimes get in the way with the scba, it does protect us from falling debris, another point i would be concerned about clearence and movement of the head at the neck with the scba on.
        Second the contructive:
        I like the idea of the buddy lights and front lights, maybe use a traditional helmet with a integrated light in the front where the shield would be, i have seen new led helmet lights that are placed right on the front shield and are held together with a band and battery pack in the back. I like the idea of the buddy lights in the back of the helmet. Maybe you could incorporate that into the helmet and the front light in the shield with a battery pack or some form of power supply inside the top of the helmet.

your helmet maybe good use for motor vehicle accidents becuase of its size.

overrall its a good project.

Comment

Originally posted by tmgatlin View Post
          I am a University of Cincinnati student working on a project to design and improve the fire helmet. Last month I posted a survey on these forums to gather information and opinions from firefighters around the nation and the response I received was overwhelming and fantastic.

Now I have a new survey which show three of my proposed ideas for a new fire helmet. They are hand drawn, explained and labeled. If anyone out there can spare a few minutes to review them and answer a few questions I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking for as much feedback as possible, both constructive and critical, so feel free to be as honest as you like.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3GH5W3Q

If you have taken one of these surveys before, I encourage you to take this survey as well. It is a new survey with additional questions at the request of my professor.

Thank you for all you help thus far.

Sincerely,

Tom

Thank you far all you help thus far

I thought that I had took this somewhere else in these forums!

Isn't that correct??
          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

I appreciate your effort. You seem to have a sincere interest in making things better, and clearly you are talented.

But.

Respectfully, please leave our helmet alone.

Comment

tmgatlin,

Thank you for your interest in the fire service. If you have not already, please take a look at the MSA Gallet F1SF as used by the Paris Fire Brigade (BSPP).

Much of the rest of the world has moved on to a better design while most of the US clings to top heavy tradition.

I have a pdf on it I can send you if interested.

One major improvement I would like for a fire helmet would be SCBA facepiece donning without having to take off the helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by GFPD2005 View Post
                One major improvement I would like for a fire helmet would be SCBA facepiece donning without having to take off the helmet.
                This would involve changes to the SCBA face pieces, too. Are you thinking, perhaps, of something like what military fighter pilots use? A mask that clips to the helmet? That could probably be adapted into a design that includes a full face mask rather than just a mouth/nose mask.

However, any wiggle in the helmet might break the mask's seal to the face.
                -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

Survey complete.

I like the buddy light idea and you can even get creative for different colors for rank. The headlight should be aimed down slightly so the wearer doesn't blind the person they are looking at.

The biggest problem will be to make sure they can work with the current SCBA designs. The strongest, most comfortable, the lightest for the cheapest should be your motivation.

Good luck!
                  Jason Knecht
                  Firefighter/EMT
                  Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                  Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                  http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                  EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

JJR,
                    It has already been accomplished. As I said us American firefighters would rather wear a helmet design from 100 years ago.

Take a look at the video on the page labeled "Clip de presentation de la Brigade" Look closely about 1:05 into it and you will see a Paris firefighter disconnect his mask from his helmet.

http://www.bspp.fr/fr/videos/36

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X