Student/Intern Firefighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student/Intern Firefighters

Was wondering if anybody has ever used student/intern firefighters in their station? If so what were some of your challenges? Looking into implementing a intern program within the Fire Marshal's Office and need advice

If you are using them in the fire marshals office no problem

Just come up with a project for them

Like count and map all the fire department connections
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by shane1704 View Post
      Was wondering if anybody has ever used student/intern firefighters in their station? If so what were some of your challenges? Looking into implementing a intern program within the Fire Marshal's Office and need advice

Not in a fire house but in an administrative office. We had several and assigned them by their capabilities to perform some tasks.

One was assigned to do some computer work while another was assigned to produce a guide book on Emergency Management, with supervision of a qualified department member.

In a Fire Marshal Office they could work on fire codes and material that pertains to that function.
      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

I guess ill throw some insight in since i am currently a college student living at a Host fire station. At the current time i am a firefighter that is tasked with all of the same basic tasks as other firefighters who work and volunteer at the station. the chief gives us tasks to do during the day and we are responsible for keeping our parts of the station clean and tidy. We are also responsible for maintaining and inspecting 1 piece of apparatus. We run calls when we are not at school, and we work with the on duty crew during the day. Since there are 2 students at the station, we are responsible for being at the station from 10pm to 6am and 2 weekends a month. We can be there at any other time of the day or week but are mandated the times above. The program is run through the college and the station basically just supervises us. The chief and officers make sure we preform at the station and the college mandates goals that we must achieve in order to get the college credit.
        I cannot complain its alot of fun, its a free roof over my head, and its a job for now, plus a wicked head start on a career in the future.

Comment

There are many fire departments that partner with a college, especially colleges offering a fire science or similar program. The student/firefighter gets lodging and the fire department gets a ready responder (when they aren't in class). Very often the student/firefighter is already a member of a "home" department elsewhere.

The ambulance I run with is working on such a program for paramedic students in cooperation with the local community college, which offers a paramedic program. It'll be the first of its kind in NY.

To me, intern does suggest an administrative position.
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

We have four live-in students.....they get room at the station and they are responsible for their food......they have set hours they must be available for calls and they get paid accordingly for all runs they make......they are fire science majors at the college and they all recieve FFI and II and get driver certified within their first four months.....they as a group are soley responsible for one engine and have various daily/monthly duties as assigned by the Chief or other Officers including details at schools, elderly care facilitiey inspection, etc.. This program has been a Godsend for us, particularly in the daytime when most FF's are not readily available.....at least as first due.

Comment

Originally posted by shane1704 View Post
              I guess I would need a little more information on the intern program.

Are they in a fire science program? Do they have experience? Are they responders or available set hours?

I guess "student/intern" can be interpretted a number of ways.
              Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

One thing I was looking at was contacting a local community college that offers a fire science program and seeing if a partnership was possible. Was looking at having a intern position in the admin setting for the summer.

Comment

Sounds good like I say you need to have a project planned for them to do
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

DKK
                    Truck Man
                    APFD

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

Comment

I'll answer, but I don't know if it will apply to your situation.

My previous department in northwestern Vermont incorporated a student-run fire department into our operations. The college fire department ran 2 engines and a hose truck and averaged 15-20 members. They had their own internal management structure but function under our administration and operated under our command at incidents. They had a Chief, who was head of college security and an Asst. Chief who was generally a past member residing in the area. They had a student captain and 2 student Lts.

They would raise funds for apparatus from alumni. We would then equip the apparatus and cover all insurance, fuel and scheduled and non-scheduled maintenance and repairs. We would also pay for all PPE and communications needs.

They would take our required 50-hour firefighting intro course and would be required to attend all weekly training (unless they were on break) and maintain our 75% training rate. In addition, they would train on their own as a department every Sunday. We would pay for their members to attend any applicable outside training.

They had the same on-fireground and fireground responsibilities as any other member of the department. They would drive apparatus and be involved in all aspects of fire attack. In fact, the area that they were first due in was the busiest area in our district for both total calls (primarily due to the alarm volume generated by the college and the neighboring hospital) and working fires. Often they would be incident command for the entire incident. In addition, they were first due into our busiest automatic mutual aid department.

We have had this arrangement with them since they were founded back in the early 70's.

They do not have a fire science program.

Google St. Micheal's College Fire and Rescue. It's really pretty impressive. They also have some stuff on youtube.

You can also search Colchester Center Volunteer Fire Company. I beleive there is some info there as well.

That may give you some more info.
                      Last edited by LaFireEducator; 11-04-2010, 12:01 PM.
                      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

I am in a student intern firefighting program in the northeast in a combination department. we are new program not far from a mid sized university that has a well known fire science program. we currently ride 2-3 days a week depending on each of our schedules when we don't have class from 8am-5pm. Usually we have 4-5 guys on each crew and a volunteer driver from the local volunteer company that we are staffing. we have approximately 8 guys in the program all with a minimum of their home state firefighter 1 certification and CPR and are on another department back home. however the process for applying is very competitive (11 people applied this year, only 5 got interviews, and 3 got selected) so it weeds out those with the least certifications and produces the ones with most certifications through an application process, an interview, a skills check (make sure those that got selected actually know what they are doing) and a background and medical check. we do training almost every shift that we are on and try to do live burn training every few weeks and do everything that the local ff's would do within our own scope of training. we get along with both the career ff's and the volly ff's. we do not get paid for it but we enjoy it and it helps keep our skills up to date when we are done with college. get the department is good with making sure we are doing well in school and we do not miss class so that we can ride for the day. my school is very good with internships. we have had interns with the FDNY, Boston Fire Dept, FEMA, the ATF, FBI, etc. overall its a great experience for us and it helps out the town and the fire department.

Comment

Fireemt 19....sounds like UNH has come a long way. Something a bunch of us wanted to do way back. Good luck stay safe. Sorry for being off topic

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X