X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FiremanLyman
    replied
    Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Lift a ceiling tile as soon as, or even before entering the door with a pike pole to see what the conditions are in the space between the tiles and the roof.
    This!

Never go past fire or let fire get behind you. Punching a hole in the ceiling right inside the doorway os also a good practice on any one story structure.

Leave a comment:

• MemphisE34a
    replied
    I don't know why know has mentioned it in 2 pages, but no one has mentioned THE most dangerous thing about strip mall fires and other occupancies with drop ceiling:

Occupancies with drop ceilings have the ability to conceal significant amounts of smoke and fire in the space between the ceiling tiles and the roof. It is very easy for fire to be over or behind you.

My number one rule for these type of occupancies is either on AA's or reports of fire with nothing showing:

Lift a ceiling tile as soon as, or even before entering the door with a pike pole to see what the conditions are in the space between the tiles and the roof.

Leave a comment:

• CGITCH
    replied
    Chapter 15 of Fire Officer's Hanbook of Tactics. I would even reccomend you to buy the book. (Is it sad that's one of the few books I've read cover to cover)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Deputy Chief Mark Brown wrote a great article on strip mall issues. You can find it here: http://www.firehouse.com/topic/strat...ping-complexes

We also recorded a very informative roundtable at Firehouse World on the command of strip mall fires. Several firefighter and officers from the West Coast discuss the challenges that they've encountered as the strip mall is very common in their response areas: http://www.firehouse.com/magazine/fi...es-strip-malls

Leave a comment:

• EastKyFF
    replied
    What a schmuck that guy is! He has probably been to too many construction sites. "Oh, hey. They hang their most expensive stuff from a crane at the end of the day. I think I'll do that too."

Leave a comment:

• MarcusKspn
    replied
    A good example of why Strip Mall Fires are dangerous, from the VentEnterSearch site:

http://www.vententersearch.com/?p=786

Random stuff hanging from a ceiling suspended by nylon rope.

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    RM - I guess I wasnt clear on my views - and to the OP this is nothing personal. Its about internet forums in general. In my opinion they are for enhancing your basic knowledge and sharing of ideas. There are some excellent ideas and tricks here. But they are no subsitute for the basics. I feel that before a new student or firefighter to be takes advise from an internet forum, he should read and study the basics. Using this subject as an example. The plate glass window tip. Excellent knowledge to share , but if a new fireman doesnt have a well rounded knowledge base , he may "fixate" on the glass in front and miss other signs of collaspe. I feel many new firefighters are gaining only surface knowledge and missing the basics. And RM 1524 - out of curosity why would you make the nose picking remark to some one you dont even know? Well to answer your question --- yes I generally sat in the back -most of the time with your sister, and my hands were way too busy with her to be picking my nose.

Leave a comment:

• EastKyFF
    replied
    Don't forget the very dangerous and unpredictable signs, facades, and whatnot that are on many of these structures. They're not as bad as our 1970's vintage K-marts and whatnot, but it's out there.

Great idea on the unbroken glass.

Leave a comment:

• FirehouseEvents
    replied
    Learn more about strip mall fires at Firehouse World...

On March 1 Michael Daley will be teaching Firefighting Operations in Strip Malls and Taxpayers. Complete details at http://www.firehouseworld.com/fhw/events_tuesday.po

Leave a comment:

• rm1524
    replied
    Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    So listening to your officer is bad advise ? Learning the basics also ?
    He is in school. He is learning. He even might have to take a test and pass it. Did you ever ask questions in school, ever go to the library and look up something that you wanted to know, or did you just sit on the back row picking your nose.

Leave a comment:

• mikeyboy
    replied
    A Training Site

MadFireFighterBill,

Check-out vententersearch.com and you will see some additional concerns with Strip Malls. There's stuff listed there that hasn't been listed here. The lists here are dead-on.

Even in Strip Malls that do have fire protection systems there is no guarantee that they are active at the time of the fire. Example: The Westfield Galleria Mall fire in Roseville.

As far as what you are learning, keep on..... Understand the tactics and strategies because they are the why and when part of the equation. As a newer FF though the what and who, will be given to you by your C.O. There is nothing wrong with understanding why you C.O. is giving that order.

Leave a comment:

• nameless
    replied
    besides the fact its obvious, its just useless to a college student who's discussing tactics for a fire. maybe you should tell him the first step is to get dressed and get in the fire truck

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nameless
    replied
    Originally posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    Here is a good tactic picked up from Chief Laskey.

When venting the front of a strip mall, leave one window intact for each two windows you take out. Reasoning: there is not much structural support on the front side of a strip mall (all windows, not much structural support). These windows you leave intact will be the indicator for the structure weakening, when they crack and break on their own the front side of the building is about to come down. The other sides are usually masonry and you'll see signs of damage on them.
    that's pretty smart, I like it.

And second (I know I am going to get bashed for saying this ) - If you are going to be a fireman - about all you need to know about strip mall fires is listen to your officer. Dont put the cart before the horse --- learn the tasks first --- tactics second and strategy third. Dont be the guy that can spout out some strategy he learned on the net , but fumbles around trying to couple hose.
    You are because generally in college, especially one geared towards fire protection tactics and strategy is taught. So saying "I'm new, I'll listen to my boss" isn't going to make the teacher happy. It'll be a waste of time and a waste of money. Read the guy's entire post before you start giving him bad advice.

Leave a comment:

• snowball
    replied
    Couple of questions - first why do you call yourself madFIREFIGHTER bill if you are not yet a firefighter ?
    Because "Angry Bombero Willie" was taken.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X