Women in the fire service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WD6956 View Post
    I personally have no issue with any coworker who can do the job, period. Age, race, sex, religious preference, whatever. We all bleed to the same color blood. All i care about is that you up to the challenge because i don't want to be in a burning building with someone who i cannot depend on to get me or anybody else out because they lack the physical or mental strength........[continued post truncated]
    Excellent, excellent post. Couldn't have said it any better. Nice work brother.

Comment

Just as an example, the Madison, WI fire chief is female.
      http://www.cityofmadison.com/fire/about/welcome.cfm

I agree as well there are good and bad officers regardless of being male or female. Some females will do laps around some guys.
      Jason Knecht
      Firefighter/EMT
      Township Fire Dept., Inc.
      Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
      http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
      EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

An age old topic, but more relevant today than ever.
        The response by some cities to, "how to we get more females on the job?" was to make the entrance physical test easier.
        Now we have the CPAT being used all over the place.

The question could be asked, "Is the CPAT an accurate reflection of the demands that will be placed on a recruit at the Academy?".
        In a large neighboring dept here, they get alot of females washing out or injured during their academy. Higher ups ask why this could be happening when their recruits passed the CPAT with flying colors?
        Because the CPAt doesn't require a charged hose advance; in fact, the CPAt can be completed without breaking a sweat.
        It's a warm-iup for a real test.
        The CPAT is a joke, but it is used to facillitate the hiring of "underepresented" groups.

Sure, females have to pass the same test as males to get hired.
        It's the test that is used that's the problem.

No one I have worked with has an issue with a female on the job.
        But many have issues with lightweights that can't do anything on the job without getting injured.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X