Stripping an N6A Sammy - Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping an N6A Sammy - Advice needed

I know you guys might be sick of threads like this, but I am going to strip off the buggered-up paint job on a N6A Houston.. Too thick on the brim's "vine" embossing and it really should be done better honestly. Looks like crap and it has "alligatored" on me inside the vine embossing.. yuk!

A- Should I remove the suspension internals? If yes, how to do it?

B- Citristrip.. any good?

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by SkullKrusher2010 View Post
    I know you guys might be sick of threads like this, but I am going to strip off the buggered-up paint job on a N6A Houston.. Too thick on the brim's "vine" embossing and it really should be done better honestly. Looks like crap and it has "alligatored" on me inside the vine embossing.. yuk!

Thanks everyone!
    Citristrip works but so will a good scuff sand and repaint. Just make sure to flush off THOROUGHLY any stripper prior to refinishing. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKrusher2010 View Post

Thanks everyone!
      +1 on the Citristrip. As for the internals, how old is your helmet? If it has a racthet liner, you can remove some of the suspension, but the actual impact cap is not removeable. Older versions without the ratchet cannot be removed. The ear flaps are not removeable either. Just be careful with the cleaner.

Comment

After thirty-something restoring vehicles, I have to say that you must remove *EVERY* trace of stripper before painting. Otherwise, it can (and will) come back to haunt you.
        And not only on Halloween.

Comment

if you use Citristrip Home Depot has a stripper remover to use to ensure you get all the stripper off. I have used it when I refinished my N6A and it worked great.
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Thanks everyone..

My helmet is a new N6A that was a natural.. I refinished it using a black engine enamel that is high temp.. I really f^*ked it up somehow as the paint reacted in a strange way .. looks like it bubbled and raised up all over the crown.. LONG story.. I basically put too much on the brim and lost detail in the vine embossing. I want to strip it down and do it right...

Comment

I used black grill paint on mine. It has a temperature rating twice that of engine block paint.
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

+1 for Citristrip

I have refinished several leathers with various paints. On one I used one coat of grill paint with a coat of black gloss over it. It worked fine, but I have actually had really good results with standard krylon on my other two.

As far as mods to the suspension, most everyone around here removes the ratchet and the round pad on the suspension (It has to be cut out. Take care just to cut the pad, not the suspension straps.). It lowers the ride height of the helmet and IMHO is much more comfortable and stable.

With the ratchet out, if the helmet is a little loose pad around the inside of the helmet for fit with your ear flaps up. When you mask up the mask net will take up the space that the ear flaps did and the helmet will fit the same.
                I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
                "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
                -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Comment

Has been covered several times in the past.

Here are the links to four of many...

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...lmet+stripping

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Yep, Citristrip will work great allright. Will get every bit of the paint off.

When you get done, start saving your cahnge evertime you bust a dollar because you will need it within a year if you fight any amount of fire.

Despite being called "Citristrip" it has chemicals in it, not just fruit juice. The leather in the helmet will absorb the chemicals and you will never neutralize them or get all of the out.

They will slowly wreak havoc on the thinner piece of leather, the brim, and cause the leather to dry. This process will go even faster with steady firefighting activity because the heat will cause it to dry out faster.

As stated, within a year, the brim will crack and you will be buying a new helmet.

Instead of creating a HAZMAT incident on your head and contaminating your helmet, scuff it up and paint it. If the paint is built up and you want to remove it, take it to someone who can blast it with walnut shells.
                    RK
                    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
                      Yep, Citristrip will work great allright. Will get every bit of the paint off.

When you get done, start saving your cahnge evertime you bust a dollar because you will need it within a year if you fight any amount of fire.

Despite being called "Citristrip" it has chemicals in it, not just fruit juice. The leather in the helmet will absorb the chemicals and you will never neutralize them or get all of the out.

They will slowly wreak havoc on the thinner piece of leather, the brim, and cause the leather to dry. This process will go even faster with steady firefighting activity because the heat will cause it to dry out faster.

As stated, within a year, the brim will crack and you will be buying a new helmet.

Instead of creating a HAZMAT incident on your head and contaminating your helmet, scuff it up and paint it. If the paint is built up and you want to remove it, take it to someone who can blast it with walnut shells.
                      Interesting.... Makes me think. I believe my brother has a blaster.. I might have to buy the walnut shells.. but he has one. Could the citristrip be neutralized with vinegar?.. Lower the PH in the acidic-infested cow?

This drying out stuff reminds me of how bull crap dried out many of my boots that I have worn for rodeo.. makes sense to me now. Maybe go the One Shot route with a couple coats of linseed oil first?

Comment

Be CAREFUL with media blasting. Use the right size media and nozzle or you WILL be unhappier than you are now. I just use Napa engine enamel and it's ALWAYS given me good results.One shot is great but a bit on the Pricey side. T.C.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X