Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helmet Lights

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Blulakr View Post
    Do you only respond to structure fires???

    We respond to a lot of nighttime MVA's in a remote area. Coat mounted lights are ok but as you said, you can't point them with your hands full.

    I wore one of these for a year and it worked very well. It has adjustments for brightness and beam focus. It also pivots downward so you aren't blinding someone when you look at them. I paid $60 from my local Snap-On tool dealer. They're around $50 online. Only problem I found is if you're using a faceshield it glares a bit when the shield is down.

    Thank you. I appreciate that. We do a lot of night time trainings as well, usually with no scene lighting.
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

    Comment


    • #17
      As much as this poor equine has been flogged in these forums, this is now the light I prefer for the helmet...
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
        As much as this poor equine has been flogged in these forums, this is now the light I prefer for the helmet...
        Green for IC?,Hehe T.C.

        Comment


        • #19
          I use a basic machined aluminum two AA battery light with a Streamlight band....the band allows you to position the light to shine where you are looking and there are numerous times it has come in handy. It's not a mini-mag....those are tough to turn on/off....rather it has a single push button

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by nameless View Post
            never saw the need for a helmet light. useless in a fire, and not really help fun in non fire instances.
            Au contraire. I find my helmet light is awesome in night MVC ops and in some structure fires where the smoke is light - or even just getting around the scene.

            Sure, in the real thick stuff it doesn't help - so I grab the Pelican 3C out of my pocket. Who said anything about having one light?
            "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
            - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

            Comment


            • #21
              I never could get one of those rubber band tool "holders" to stay on my department issued tactical tupperware type helmet so I went with a Pelican 90 degree bend light in my pocket and just dealt with it swinging around.
              I also kept a MiniMag with an LED bulb and pushbutton end cap on my hip.The first time on a call where I really needed a light in an unlit room,I managed to leave the [CENSORED] thing on the coffee table at home when the pager went off.
              Up until an OTJ injury on the Mississippi River here at Memphis,I'd wear an LED light clipped to my ball cap that was bright enough that I'd be mistaken by other boats for the starboard running light at night when doing stuff on the head of the barge(s) we were towing.
              They're cheap enough at wally world in case you lose or damage them and they also come in black light/UV for night fishing. I've often wondered if they'd have a use on EMS calls to help spot leaking bodily fluids during the assessment.Has anyone else thought of that yet?
              No,they don't clip onto any helmet that I know of but if you are a vollie and respond in street clothes to the scene,you can still have a light that can shine where you are looking,remembering your Emily Post and not blinding someone by looking them dead in the eye while wearing such a light.
              Last edited by doughesson; 10-27-2010, 03:20 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
                Oh really? How bout we'll do what we want. You condescending, "smoke eater emulating" bushwacker.
                Originally posted by matteo
                Hi,
                That was good..
                That was the best thing you will do now...is to put it were it belongs....
                Well usually this is where some one bust's out a " I have more time on in a fire house crapper than you do at fires," or "I was fighting Fire when you where $hittin in Diapers"

                But instead I will say this Go get a Big super bright Flashlight, and big strong mount, the more expensive the better, and Bolt that conglomeration to your helmet.

                When you two have pulled your heads outa your Arse, and realized that they are entrapment hazards, added weight, They can be considered a helmet modification, (Think about that one for a second) they constantly shine the eyes of the people you are looking at, but my biggest pet peeve of all?

                They seem to constantly Fill up these forums with threads like this...and bring people like you.

                Then come back and call me a condescending, "smoke eater emulating" bushwacker
                Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by DubyaVFF View Post
                  Au contraire. I find my helmet light is awesome in night MVC ops and in some structure fires where the smoke is light - or even just getting around the scene.

                  Sure, in the real thick stuff it doesn't help - so I grab the Pelican 3C out of my pocket. Who said anything about having one light?
                  100% agreed!
                  Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
                    they constantly shine the eyes of the people you are looking at,


                    Good point. I like to take my mag light out of my pocket and shine it in the other guys eyes while we're having a face to face.
                    IAFF

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by snowball View Post
                      Good point. I like to take my mag light out of my pocket and shine it in the other guys eyes while we're having a face to face.
                      I know me too, gives everything that authentic feel.
                      Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by snowball View Post
                        Good point. I like to take my mag light out of my pocket and shine it in the other guys eyes while we're having a face to face.
                        HAHA! Nice
                        Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
                          They can be considered a helmet modification, (Think about that one for a second)
                          OK, I thought about that one for a second. And do you know what I thought about? I thought about how helmet manufacturers (Cairns, Bullard, Lion Apparel/Paul Conway, and Phenix Technology don't consider them to be helmet modifications. Then I thought about how NFPA doesn't consider them helmet modifications, either.

                          And then just for fun, I thought about how one popular helmet flashlight mounting bracket (BlackJack) presents less of an entanglement risk than most visor mounts.

                          Finally, because I've had so much fun using my brain so far, I decided to think about how a helmet-mounted flashlight "constantly shine the eyes of the people you are looking at". Constantly? Even when I'm not actually looking at anyone? I don't know what kind of flashlights you're used to, but where I come from, flashlights typically have some kind of switch or button that can be used to turn the light OFF. Well that solves that problem. Whew.
                          -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

                          The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
                            Well usually this is where some one bust's out a " I have more time on in a fire house crapper than you do at fires," or "I was fighting Fire when you where $hittin in Diapers"

                            But instead I will say this Go get a Big super bright Flashlight, and big strong mount, the more expensive the better, and Bolt that conglomeration to your helmet.

                            When you two have pulled your heads outa your Arse, and realized that they are entrapment hazards, added weight, They can be considered a helmet modification, (Think about that one for a second) they constantly shine the eyes of the people you are looking at, but my biggest pet peeve of all?

                            They seem to constantly Fill up these forums with threads like this...and bring people like you.

                            Then come back and call me a condescending, "smoke eater emulating" bushwacker
                            If you are annoyed by what you feel are senseless threads then quicherbichen and go to another thread where you and the other testosterone junkies here can brag about the size of your cojones. I am a member of alot of different forums but I must say nowhere are there more domineering folks than here, and you appear to be but one example. Your way is the only right way.

                            Helmet lamps such as the one I displayed are not entanglement hazards and, when used properly, do not blind others. The added weight is insignificant. Helmet modification?? Nothing about the actual helmet itself has been modified. Yes they are potentially flammable but if your helmet lamp combusts you are already in deep doodoo and the lamp is the least of your worries.

                            Our dept. recently purchased Bullards with Traklites and while they're better than nothing, I'd prefer my old led lenser.
                            My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              forget helmet lights

                              I don't even bother with helmet lights anymore. An entanglement hazard, never where i want it and always in the officer's face when conferring.

                              I use the hands-free Searchsleeve with Streamlight 4AA Xenon. Lightweight, where ever I aim my arm or tool, the light shines in that direction. Pretty slick. Fire Resistant, Reflective and even matches my trim on my turnout gear.

                              I've been wearing one since they came our last year..Love it.. Fires, MVAs, elevator emergencies and even EMS alarms.

                              Inexpensive and Made in the USA. Look $45 on their website, excluding shipping.

                              www.searchsleeve.com
                              -Egg

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by augdog11 View Post
                                I don't even bother with helmet lights anymore. An entanglement hazard, never where i want it and always in the officer's face when conferring.

                                I use the hands-free Searchsleeve with Streamlight 4AA Xenon. Lightweight, where ever I aim my arm or tool, the light shines in that direction. Pretty slick. Fire Resistant, Reflective and even matches my trim on my turnout gear.

                                I've been wearing one since they came our last year..Love it.. Fires, MVAs, elevator emergencies and even EMS alarms.

                                Inexpensive and Made in the USA. Look $45 on their website, excluding shipping.

                                www.searchsleeve.com
                                Thank you very much! This seams like a great product! I need to ask my chief for clearance before purchasing
                                Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X